Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2016, 18:17   #76

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Homebuilt anchor and other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisb007 View Post
To have a gas explosion on a boat you would need a fuel leak, an errand spark (which by the way does not happen often in the ignition system of a gasoline engine as someone stated earlier because if it did it would play hell on your comms systems), and no ventilation in the engine compartment. If you had all these things going on at once then it really would be due to lack of maintenance on the owners part letting so much go wrong at once and not a flaw in the choice of a gas engine. If you get a boat with a gas engine, just keep up your maintenance.

Probably a good practice anyways.
You are aware that the Atomic 4 comes with a points and condenser ignition system? (Though I'd be surprised if an electronic upgrade wasn't available by now.) If you don't think there're lots of stray currents flying around with one of those old distributors, like I said, take a look at one on a dark night... (with the engine running, of course.) Why do you think they have so many safeguards to keep the fuel and fuel vapor inside the engine?

As for 'To have a gas explosion on a boat you would need a fuel leak, an errand(t) spark... and no ventilation in the engine compartment' well maybe. But a fire can be just as catastrophic, and believe me, especially with a carbureted engine, all you need for that is a flooded engine and a backfire. Which is of course why they have spark and flame arrestors.

Maintenance of course is the key to avoiding problems with any of these old school engines, and when well maintained they have several advantages over more modern ones, al least to my way of thinking...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 19:01   #77

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Regarding the Atomic 4, not sure if it has been mentioned already, but don't forget the stealthy silent killer that is carbon monoxide. Not present in significant quantities with a well tuned diesel but prolific from petrol engines. I would be loath to motor sail or run the engine at any time that exhaust fumes could return to the boat with a petrol engine. That alone to me would justify removing an Atomic 4 from a boat I owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-12-2016, 19:11   #78

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Regarding the Atomic 4, not sure if it has been mentioned already, but don't forget the stealthy silent killer that is carbon monoxide. Not present in significant quantities with a well tuned diesel but prolific from petrol engines. I would be loath to motor sail or run the engine at any time that exhaust fumes could return to the boat with a petrol engine. That alone to me would justify removing an Atomic 4 from a boat I owned.

But MATT. You still new a prescribed concentration of the CO. Re: CO, the good thing about a gas engine is that long before the CO bites your lungs it stings the eyes and nose. The exhaust of an Atomic 4 in an 8kt following breeze would be an irritant long before it became a toxant. Not that I'd know.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 20:11   #79

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I'd take some solace from that theory but for the number of people who've died from generator exhausts. Most recently a tragic case in Tassie which I believe came from a small petrol generator running in the stern of a power boat.

Old 06-12-2016, 22:07   #80

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Guys, it's truly nice to see some common sense permeating things here. Sometimes the philosophy of "you must have this, & have to purchase x, y, & x", really gets old. Especially when 90% of said items are wants, or can be easily DIY'd. Though, yeah, I get that not everyone has access to a torch or a welder, or the skills to use them.

Thinking on the topic, it makes me really glad to have learned tools at a young age (thanks Dad0. Though perhaps, in hindsight, not as much as I'd prefer, but that's simple to remedy. And I certainly try & pass on such skills, given the opportunity. Though as much of it is mindset, as anything else. Luckily Learning how to learn, & how to self-teach are pretty priceless.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 22:44   #81

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalnud View Post
Well sir. I am a journeyman fabricator and welder and i am here to tell you that i can and i absolutely intend to cut up and weld my own anchor. Its not very hard to walk down the docks and measure uo a roccna and re-create it. Ive checked pricing on stainless and i can do a 45# roccna for about 300 bucks. I think if your handy. It an absolutely viable savings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If you are truly that good of a fabricator, you should be able to put your skills to work for pay and make enough to buy a tried and true commercial anchor in less time than it would take to make one.
This was my point earlier. Why go through all that hassle cutting, welding and especially bending/forming. It would be experimental at best. More to the point, why trust your vessels safety to a backyard, gung ho schlep job.

Quote:
If i used high carbon steel id just temper it to a light blue, just turning towards the color of hay. Nice and hard bt still enough flex if i snag a rock. You cant be much of a tool maker if you dont know how to temper steel ��
You're not much of a fabricator if you think you will have consistent "desired" hardness throughout the anchor with, I assume a rosebud, from an Oxy/Acetylene set up.
I just retired from my last position at UTC...an Aerospace contractor. I can assure you I know how to heat treat as I constantly had military QA officials checking my work.
By the way, check out minimum charges on galvanizing. It will add cost (and a dose of reality) to your project.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 23:17   #82

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I'd take some solace from that theory but for the number of people who've died from generator exhausts. Most recently a tragic case in Tassie which I believe came from a small petrol generator running in the stern of a power boat.

Greg Burling &Brian Daley, the coroner found, died from CO poisoning from a generator as we had suspected. If you look at the boat there were only two places where a gen could have have been positioned. Namely on the marlin board or on the cockpit floor. If it was on the marlin board then draught would have prevented fumes entering the cockpit then back door.
But on the cockpit floor, possibly near the door.
I might give the investigator, Inspector Gunton (?) a call because I've been wondering.
Possibly the gen was near the door out of the weather.
Watch that space, maybe I'll be next with Tassie being a chilly place in winter.
Ain't worried, two different alarms at face level when sleeping, one of them within a foot of my face.
Frankly I think fear & ignorance causes people to make mistakes.
Watch someone draw attention to themselves with this post....like it doesn't happen??
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 00:17   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona View Post
Most manufacturers have templates available for prospective buyers to make wooden versions to test if they suit the buyers boat.
I like the idea of a wooden anchor... it's less likely to get snagged on something underwater if it's floating on the surface
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 00:27   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by um saudade View Post
I see many aspects to building or re-building of gear... A big consideration for many of us is the challenge of doing what most others can’t do and the personal satisfaction that comes...
Absolutely agree. Alot of satisfaction comes to those who like to tinker with their boats - to build and remodel and innovate with their hands. If you want the satisfaction of fabricating your own anchor then go for it - but perhaps you should grossly oversize it. A home made, sorta ugly looking homemade anchor of 100lbs will likely outperform any new gen anchor of 40 or 50 pounds (if your bow can handle the weight).
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:14   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
This was my point earlier. Why go through all that hassle cutting, welding and especially bending/forming. It would be experimental at best. More to the point, why trust your vessels safety to a backyard, gung ho schlep job.

You're not much of a fabricator if you think you will have consistent "desired" hardness throughout the anchor with, I assume a rosebud, from an Oxy/Acetylene set up.
I just retired from my last position at UTC...an Aerospace contractor. I can assure you I know how to heat treat as I constantly had military QA officials checking my work.
By the way, check out minimum charges on galvanizing. It will add cost (and a dose of reality) to your project.
You assume wrong.
yalnud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:08   #86

I love CF! If folks aren't harping on the quality of work performed by "qualified" professionals, they are making unsubstantiated and disparaging claims about the quality of work performed by dedicated DIYers!

I have performed all of the work on my boat and enjoy the confidence of knowing that I never felt pressured to cut corners, use substandard materials, or meet a deadline that I did not set myself.

Think about it. Who cares the most about the safety of your vessel? You? Or someone else?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:15   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I love CF! If folks aren't harping on the quality of work performed by "qualified" professionals, they are making unsubstantiated and disparaging claims about the quality of work performed by dedicated DIYers!

I have performed all of the work on my boat and enjoy the confidence of knowing that I never felt pressured to cut corners, use substandard materials, or meet a deadline that I did not set myself.

Think about it. Who cares the most about the safety of your vessel? You? Or someone else?
[emoji106]
yalnud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:49   #88

Quote:
You assume wrong.
Well I guess that clears that up.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-12-2016, 07:52   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post

Sorry we haven't performed well enough for you. We'll try better next time...sheesh!
Old 07-12-2016, 08:15   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Thing is COBG, no diesel powered boat is likely to have a catastrophic fire situation unless caused by propane leaks.
This is what I referenced.
The Island Packet that burnt, I believe it was the turbo that was the cause of the fire, and I would hazard a guess that the turbo oil line may have supplied the fuel for the fire.
But that is pure speculation on my part.

However I treat any boat as sinkable and burnable, and if I had to pick, I had much rather sink than burn.
Sometimes with a fire you find yourself in the water with not much of anything, hopefully not burnt, a sinking usually gives you more time and your a lot less likely to be hurt.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor