Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 09:16   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Homebuilt anchor and other things

On the "owner produced parts" thing to use an FAA name, why not?
We think it normal and well within someones limits to build the whole boat, why can't they build an anchor if they can build the whole boat?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:53   #92

Boat: Westsail 28 and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
On the "owner produced parts" thing to use an FAA name, why not?
We think it normal and well within someones limits to build the whole boat, why can't they build an anchor if they can build the whole boat?
While I agree someone can in fact build an anchor, there is more to it than the thing just looking like an anchor. I had a friend that was a refrigeration repair person. He had a 17ft. runabout we would all go out in and catch rock fish. He used a refrigeration compressor on a piece of poly line, as an anchor (I kid you not). Did it work?...kind of.
Like most things, there is a science to it. Some manufacturers of anchors have hollow shanks, while others incorporate lead into the tip. Most if not all the manufacturers spent a lot of time testing their designs and narrowing it down to a design that works. Is the DIYer going to do this?...I don't think so.
You have a IP...a fairly expensive vessel to replace. Chances are you have most of your life wrapped up in it as do I with my HR. I guess I'm saying I would not sleep too well in an anchorage with a home built. As pointed out earlier, if a person was to make an anchor 4 times the weight requirement, it would probably work based on weight alone. But that creates new problems with handling it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:34   #93

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I love CF! If folks aren't harping on the quality of work performed by "qualified" professionals, they are making unsubstantiated and disparaging claims about the quality of work performed by dedicated DIYers!

I have performed all of the work on my boat and enjoy the confidence of knowing that I never felt pressured to cut corners, use substandard materials, or meet a deadline that I did not set myself.

Think about it. Who cares the most about the safety of your vessel? You? Or someone else?
Sure but who has the resources to build something right? Your homemade anchor will be the first or second one you've ever made. Do you have the resources to test it properly? My guess is, no.

Dedicated is one thing, qualified and capable is quite another thing.

I would far rather be boating than trying to construct an anchor when I can go out and spend a few dollars on a recognized tried and tested brand name anchor.
Old 07-12-2016, 13:44   #94

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
My bow anchor is a 35lb Manson Supreme & in Australia I paid US $370 for it.
Ashore in Sydney where I often am, I have free & unfettered access to all the materials (316 or HT) and to the rolling, welding and e/plating equipment needed to make anything imaginable. And i could have made a copy manson rather than have spent the money.
But I just don't see the point. I proved to myself and others, decades ago, that I could do it so why bother.
Sure, people build their own boats and fit them out, great why not, but those people NEED to buy windlasses, sheet winches, circuit breakers, light fittings, blowers ...an endless list, chain, so why bother making anchors? Beats me.
Because of 'economies of scale' & and bulk shipping, people in the US are able to buy stuff really cheaply. If you want to know how cheap your stuff is go Whitworths.com.au website, do the conversion rates.
What Ron on High Cotton said.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 14:01   #95

Boat: Sunk by Irma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Sorry we haven't performed well enough for you. We'll try better next time...sheesh!
Relax. You haven't been the only naysayer. If my comment was aimed specifically at you I would have quoted you specifically. As it is haven't bashed any "qualified" professsionals now have I? Since I do my own work? Just making an observation about other comments I have seen on this forum.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 14:13   #96

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Quote:
I love CF! If folks aren't harping on the quality of work performed by "qualified" professionals, they are making unsubstantiated and disparaging claims about the quality of work performed by dedicated DIYers!

I have performed all of the work on my boat and enjoy the confidence of knowing that I never felt pressured to cut corners, use substandard materials, or meet a deadline that I did not set myself.

Think about it. Who cares the most about the safety of your vessel? You? Or someone else?
Hey Delancey. Genuine & honest ( not smart assed) question.
You've done all your own work I know, me too.
But out of curiosity did you buy your anchors or make 'em?
If you made 'em, what design, wondering if you have plate rolling gear etc.
Also, just a summary of some of the stuff you loved doing. Please? Genuinely interested.
Old 07-12-2016, 14:43   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Sure but who has the resources to build something right? Your homemade anchor will be the first or second one you've ever made. Do you have the resources to test it properly? My guess is, no.

Dedicated is one thing, qualified and capable is quite another thing.

I would far rather be boating than trying to construct an anchor when I can go out and spend a few dollars on a recognized tried and tested brand name anchor.
I will however quote you specifically to make a specific point. People fear most what they understand the least. It's human nature.

Fortunately or unfortunately, most people aren't creative people and lack the inherent curiously required to figure what they don't know out. It's just easier to play the "you're gonna die" card and follow the herd. It's human just human nature. No shame in that. Besides, it's much safer that way. Isn't that what the naysayer's "you're gonna die" card is all about?

To be blunt, your comment reflects narrow mindedness. If this type of thinking prevailed throughout humanity there would be no progress and we would all be sailing around with gaff rigs (no offense to gaff rigs) instead of at least some of us sailing around on hydrofoils.

Case in point, Mantus makes a great anchor that is widely considered as being as good as any other on the market. Open minded people will recognize it's design as being innovative in it's own right and reflective of it's creator's creativity and curiousity. Newsflash! Greg from Mantus is a freakin emergency room physician!

Sheesh. Fools. There is no college or university that offers a degree in Achor Design. I could be wrong but I don't even theink Rex from Anchor Right has a degree. Doesn't stop him from making a great product. What he has is the innovative spirit, creativity, and curiousity required to try and do things better instead of just following the herd.

Hats off to him and others with the balls and gumption required to prevail against the naysayers. Our world is a better place because of them. My country used to value people who made things. Now most Americans work in the service industry. Sad.
Old 07-12-2016, 14:47   #98

Boat: SS34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
While I agree someone can in fact build an anchor, there is more to it than the thing just looking like an anchor. I had a friend that was a refrigeration repair person. He had a 17ft. runabout we would all go out in and catch rock fish. He used a refrigeration compressor on a piece of poly line, as an anchor (I kid you not). Did it work?...kind of.
Like most things, there is a science to it. Some manufacturers of anchors have hollow shanks, while others incorporate lead into the tip. Most if not all the manufacturers spent a lot of time testing their designs and narrowing it down to a design that works. Is the DIYer going to do this?...I don't think so.
You have a IP...a fairly expensive vessel to replace. Chances are you have most of your life wrapped up in it as do I with my HR. I guess I'm saying I would not sleep too well in an anchorage with a home built. As pointed out earlier, if a person was to make an anchor 4 times the weight requirement, it would probably work based on weight alone. But that creates new problems with handling it.
My homebuilt anchor has a hollow shaft and a weighted tip and I tested it the same way the so called professional constructors do. The people welding up bought anchors were probably selling cars or working at a fast food centre the day previously! Plenty of Youtube videos out there of comparison testing of favourite anchors and you can see how they were tested. I have built a lot of anchors over the years for my fishing trawler and tested them and often had to fine tune them to ensure they worked to my satisfaction. I also had two of the bought ones stored below that were only ever brought out for the annual survey.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 15:36   #99

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Only fire I have seen personally – or the effects thereof – was a boat on a hardstand next to me a few years ago – i believe the fuel in that instance was...rice – the owner got sidetracked after he put some on to cook and the whole boat went up.
In defence of the OP and to try and crystallize my argument – DIY etc is a good opportunity to exercise a very important skill – resourcefulness, so i s'pose it doesnt much matter what the object is one is 'practising' on.
..ps. .sorry about the finger wear, i'll try and improve the structure of my grammar in future – but you could have chosen a better metaphor so i didnt suffer the dreadful temptation to suggest your nostrils might be the beneficiary of a welcome respite as a result of my efforts...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 18:07   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Hey Delancey. Genuine & honest ( not smart assed) question.
You've done all your own work I know, me too.
But out of curiosity did you buy your anchors or make 'em?
If you made 'em, what design, wondering if you have plate rolling gear etc.
Also, just a summary of some of the stuff you loved doing. Please? Genuinely interested.
I have spent a large share of my life designing and crafting luxury products for the 1%. Mostly things that I could hardly afford to buy for myself even if I could justify the expense.

I decided to start the Open Source Anchor Project to encourage others to make instead of buy in an increasingly global economy where we squander what I believe to be precious petroleum transporting commodity-level products (example scrap metal shipped to China from the US to be made into anchor shaped pieces of steel then shipped back) around the world at the expense of the livelihood of our neighbors and to benefit of the rich.

I like the Chinese just fine but prefer to give my money to my countrymen instead, damn the middleman.

I did it to counter what I consider to be a pervasive narrow mindedness and lack of imagination I sometimes observe on this forum. I did it out of disdain for the literaly tens of thousands of subjective and unsubstantiated opinions expressed about the virtues or lack thereof of different anchor designs without any cumulative gain. What a waste of memory!

I did it because I love great design in it's many incarnations. I did it because I wanted to teach myself about anchor design while helping others to educate themselves. I did it because I wanted to promote the self-sufficiency and independence of cruising sailors.

I did it because I wanted to make a difference in my own small way by exploiting the same public domain information that every contemporary anchor manufacturer is currently exploiting except to make it available to anyone with a need.

Since I started the project I have been sidetracked by my own extensive list of boat projects, sadly too long to recount, but I make progress everyday. I plan on getting back to it someday, after I get some much needed cruising out of the way for myself. I will get back to it when I have the time.

I stopped by the OSAP thread the other day and was disappointed to see that the last three or four pages of comments had been somehow deleted which is unfortunate. Maybe it's time to start a new thread. If anyone is interested in picking up where I left off I will gladly pitch in and do my part by helping out in any way I can.

Cheers,
Del
Old 07-12-2016, 18:29   #101

Boat: 1967 cal 34

I appreciate that post. I've seen good reasons for and against the effort. It might not be wildly economical to build ones own anchor but it may still be a bit cheaper. I'm also only anchoring an 8000 dollar cal 34 not a Swan 48. So when it comes to being fearful of my investment, I believe I'll be able to sleep at night.

Moving off the anchor, what do other people build? Buying a dedicated chart plotter just burns me. Is the GPS that much more accurate and charts much more detailed than navionics on my Samsung Galaxy S7 as well as my backup Galaxy S5? Both of which are water resistant and can do many things other than just plot my course on a chart.
scottorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 18:41   #102

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I had a homemade mooring at my lake house. Got a huge zinc coated tub, made a raft and floated it out into the lake. Filled it with concrete and down it went. Worked pretty well and less environmentally damaging than the old fashioned homemade moorings. Used to be that people just took an engine out of a junked car and tossed into the water. Too many solvents and other environmental nono's for that to be OK nowadays.

But an anchor is very different. On my mooring I could indulge in massive overkill to make sure the thing didnt go anywhere. An anchor sits on the bow of my boat and I want it to be as light as it can be and still hold my boat in a gale. Not the place to just go crazy and double the weight to make sure.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 21:01   #103

Boat: Westsail 28 and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Relax. You haven't been the only naysayer. If my comment was aimed specifically at you I would have quoted you specifically. As it is haven't bashed any "qualified" professsionals now have I? Since I do my own work? Just making an observation about other comments I have seen on this forum.
My apologies Delancey. It's that time of the month for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona View Post
My homebuilt anchor has a hollow shaft and a weighted tip and I tested it the same way the so called professional constructors do. The people welding up bought anchors were probably selling cars or working at a fast food centre the day previously! Plenty of Youtube videos out there of comparison testing of favourite anchors and you can see how they were tested. I have built a lot of anchors over the years for my fishing trawler and tested them and often had to fine tune them to ensure they worked to my satisfaction. I also had two of the bought ones stored below that were only ever brought out for the annual survey.
Then I would say you are the exception to the norm. I'm sure though, easch time you make one, they get better and better.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 00:25   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottorious View Post
I appreciate that post. I've seen good reasons for and against the effort. It might not be wildly economical to build ones own anchor but it may still be a bit cheaper. I'm also only anchoring an 8000 dollar cal 34 not a Swan 48. So when it comes to being fearful of my investment, I believe I'll be able to sleep at night.

Moving off the anchor, what do other people build? Buying a dedicated chart plotter just burns me. Is the GPS that much more accurate and charts much more detailed than navionics on my Samsung Galaxy S7 as well as my backup Galaxy S5? Both of which are water resistant and can do many things other than just plot my course on a chart.
Like SCOTTORIOUS said Delancey, bloody good post. Thanks for taking the time. You patience is exceeded only by your ability to articulate.
Old 08-12-2016, 00:43   #105
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottorious View Post
Moving off the anchor, what do other people build? Buying a dedicated chart plotter just burns me.
The raspberry pi/openplotter project along with signalk is a good example of how you can put together your own system which is in many ways for more sophisticated and flexible than any commercial marine offerings.
Sailing with free hardware | Sailoog
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor