Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2016, 20:28   #31

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl good choice for bluewater cruiser?

Now that I am thinking about it I remember that there WAS an extra fuel tank installed under the sole. I am not sure what was there before but there is no doubt it can be done. And as for water, you could always install a water maker.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 20:33   #32

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Hello John,

Welcome!! Good to see you here; I've followed your blog for some time...

My opinion.... a B40 is like having Marilyn Monroe as a spouse. Beautiful but impractical. More bluntly.... "long distance cruising? Not fit for purpose as they say in the UK.

BUT, ultimately, it is your choice. Enjoy the hunt!
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 20:36   #33

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

just read what carlf said about the centerboard. Yes, it is a beast to crank it up and down. I know because I was the one who did it, trying to be a good guest, etc. My cousin said 132 revolutions from full up to full down. That would get old fast. But they do sell electric drills that you can put a winch bit on if you are feeling lazy .....
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 21:25   #34

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Having owned a Yawl, I would say a Jib & Jigger is suited for a Ketch...and then marginal at that.
Curious why you feel that way - I go jib + jigger all the time on a Rhodes Reliant. It's an incredibly useful option. I understand that a yawl is not an ideal rig for a number of reasons, but don't understand folks downplaying the benefit of jib+jigger on them. Just the other night I was doing a close reach into 22kts apparent at about 7kts... The rail was in the water (~30 degree heel) and I was getting tired. I dropped the main, resumed at 6kts with less than 15 degree heel. So nice.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 21:30   #35

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Three pages going but no photos..??

ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 23:43   #36

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Curious why you feel that way - I go jib + jigger all the time on a Rhodes Reliant. It's an incredibly useful option. I understand that a yawl is not an ideal rig for a number of reasons, but don't understand folks downplaying the benefit of jib+jigger on them. Just the other night I was doing a close reach into 22kts apparent at about 7kts... The rail was in the water (~30 degree heel) and I was getting tired. I dropped the main, resumed at 6kts with less than 15 degree heel. So nice.
I'm curious too: why is that (J&J) better than reefing the main on a sloop or cutter? At least on our current boat, and it's predecessor, at 22 apparent and close reaching, either one reef in the main and the genoa or full main and the staysail or Solent jib would be very quick and quite comfy (barring a nasty sea state). Neither of those options is difficult to apply, and will work up to a bit more wind strength, too.

Jim
Old 16-09-2016, 00:21   #37

Boat: no boat any more

"...a boat that you feel good heading back to in your dinghy..."
rarely does one find an incredibly important criteria so well put!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 00:41   #38

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
"...a boat that you feel good heading back to in your dinghy..."
rarely does one find an incredibly important criteria so well put!
Finding your boat to be aesthetically pleasing is indeed a nice thing, but to me is not "incredibly important" when choosing a boat for bluewater cruising.

A truly ugly boat would be hard to live with, but the undeniable beauty of the Bermuda is of small importance to one who lives at sea and in remote anchorages.

Jim
Old 16-09-2016, 01:52   #39

Boat: no boat any more

I would avoid a companionway like the Rhodes Reliant's though at all cost!
and for us and others it is very lucky indeed, that we find the aesthetics of many contemporary boats very pleasing too (at least pleasing enough that we would never buy a Bermuda 40 of that age for so much money, never mind "bombproof build"...)
with the reservation that we never sailed one I'm sorry to have to say:
to me it seems aesthetics are the sole criteria, that the B40 has going for her, absolutely everything else seems terrible from my rtw-point-of-view
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 02:36   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
Actually, the long overhangs are the main negative, in my book, and possibly a deal killer. Hard to imagine hanging a windvane over that stern. I'd probably have to use a combination of sheet-to-tiller and autopilot for self-steering.

My other concern is the lack of opening portlights. Fine for Maine, I guess, but not ideal for the tropics!

Mizzens are a mystery to most modern sailors, but having sailed a wooden yawl for many years, I think they are handy things to have, for many reasons. There's a great video on OffcenterHarbor.com that illustrates some of them on a Concordia Yawl (another heart-throb of mine.)

I'm very partial to cruising on interesting and beautiful boats, because they are instant friend-makers in lonely ports. I can't tell you how many people who have rowed over to say hi, simply because they had to admire my rather unusual boat.

I've always owed heavy displacement boats with 300-ish ratings, so she *would* be fast for me!

The interior seems fairly palatial to me, but I have always sailed old-fashioned boats, and probably always will.

The boat's age is another negative, but I'm looking at Maine boats that have spent most of their lives wintering in sheds. I've never had much in the way of electronic systems on my boats, other than autopilots, so my power & gadget requirements are minimal.

It's probably a fall fling that I'll get over quickly, but they sure are pretty.

I agree with you about the mizzen, and disagree with my friends here -- it's a very good thing for a long distance cruiser, even the tiny one of a yawl, for a list of different reasons.

I will, however, agree with them on the other points. There's no reason in the world why you could not circumnavigate on a boat like that -- it will be strong enough for sure.

But almost every practical side of this boat will be inferior to almost any more modern boat. This boat is very slow compared to more modern 40 footers with much longer waterlines, there is no storage space (modern 30 footers have more interior volume), upwind performance will be poor with that underbody and keel configuration, ventilation will be poor for tropical climates.

These boats are floating works of art and best used that way, not as a practical long distance cruising boats.

IMHO, of course.

There are plenty of pretty boats which will work well for that purpose.

And you can find some of them with a ketch rig. I came close to buying an Oyster 55 (the old 53 with the transom extension) with a ketch rig for probably not much more money than a good Bermuda Yawl would have cost. Now THAT is a great long distance cruising boat, and a real beauty -- Holman & Pye design.

You will give up some upwind ability with a ketch due to windage and sails blanketing each other, but this doesn't matter much in the trade winds. And you get millions of advantages, plus lots of different sails to play with -- not just the mizzen, but fisherman, mizzen staysail; one guy on here even flies two (!) symmetrical spinnakers on his ketch. Fisherman and mizzen staysail are superlative trade winds sails.

You might have a look at boat for sale in the UK; a bit cheaper now due to the fall of the pound after Brexit.

Good luck.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 04:52   #41

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I'm curious too: why is that (J&J) better than reefing the main on a sloop or cutter? At least on our current boat, and it's predecessor, at 22 apparent and close reaching, either one reef in the main and the genoa or full main and the staysail or Solent jib would be very quick and quite comfy (barring a nasty sea state). Neither of those options is difficult to apply, and will work up to a bit more wind strength, too.

Jim
Its not 'better', that's your word. I'm just quite pleased with the arrangement of a yawl.

If I'm heading out and the wind is strong, the difference in effort to go up on deck and get the main untied, raised and reefed versus going to the aft deck, behind my dodgers and surrounded in pushpit to put up the little guy, is undeniable.

We go out sailing to enjoy ourselves, and I've found j&j immensely helpful in that regard.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 06:15   #42

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post

here's one off google: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 06:32   #43

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

another "poor man's version" of a Hinckley could be a LeComte.

the Northeast 38 looks quite similar to the B40 (Bill Trip for designer, comes in yawl or sloop, same lines, sturdy built, tons of brightwork; I don't think they have centerboard models though; built in Holland, many have a wood burning fireplace with traditional Dutch ceramic tiles), and they cost probably 1/3 of a Hinckley of the same vintage. then there's a bigger Fastnet 45.

LeComte boats were imported/finished out of New Rochelle, NY - so are mostly New England boats - although some have percolated around.

there's currently a Fastnet 45 in MA at under 70K, and a NE38 in RI for under 40K (both yawls). there's one in MD also - this one is a sloop, has a windvane, a fireplace, a spade rudder, and a very knowledgeable former owner.

ours is a sloop we bought in Salem MA. took delivery on the last week of October 2010, were seeing 10 foot waves, 40-50 kt winds on the Salem - Plymouth leg (we motored that day - we shouldn't have been out in the first place, but the forecast was calling for only "10-15, gusting to 25". while everyone in the cockpit was totally drenched, waves rolling over the boat throughout the day, she didn't groan once. (as another anecdote, when during a haul, a younger yard guy was trying to figure out where the bulkhead was, he knocked and knocked and finally said "I don't know about this one, it all sounds the same" - and his more seasoned colleague replied, "don't worry, poppits can go anywere on this boat".)

I am of course partial. we looked at a dozen or more boats when shopping, but no other boat tickled us the same way. it's too much work (it's a 1968), but sailing her (or even just looking at her in the harbor) is always a joy.

Anton
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 06:36   #44

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Could you use a B40 for extended cruising? Of course you could. Is it the best choice in an absolute sense - no. Is it the best choice of a per dollar basis - far from it. As others have said it is very pricey, smallish, slow, initially tender boat. Looks great and that is important but there are a lot of other considerations that seem more important to me. I am a fan of Ted Hood's designs including some Bristols, Little Harbors and a few others. The hull shape and rig means they are faster, have more volume, do not heel as much and are cheaper. Most are centre boarders so you are able to get into shallow waters and still point well. Our Bristol is 5'/12'.
Old 16-09-2016, 06:39   #45

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post

How about a Mason 44 video?

Again (IMO), every bit as pretty as the B40 and probably better suited for cruising. Willow is now named Dark Star, and will be cruising the Exumas this winter.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, cruise, cruiser, water