Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 13:49   #16

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
i know exactly what you mean about brightwork. my cousin's boat is just plain beautiful but he must employ an army of teenagers to keep it that way.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 13:53   #17

I dont know about the CCA rule, but isnt the T37 the one with the pinched up IOR stern?
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 13:55   #18
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Brightwork

We have lots but I have it down to 3 days a season.
Day one Scuff and mask
Day two spot apply coat to thin areas
Day three full coat.

If starting fresh, an excellent idea is to apply a coat of MAS non blushing epoxy to the bare wood followed by the usual build coats (replaces the cut coat). This system with Epifanes really holds up (as long as you apply a coat a year).
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 13:56   #19
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I dont know about the CCA rule, but isnt the T37 the one with the pinched up IOR stern?
I was thinking about the Hinkley.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 15:55   #20

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
here's one

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/sail...6/12547372.jpg
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 16:33   #21

Quote: If the CB mechanism on the T37C is similar to the one on the T34C (Tom?) you can crank the CB down to any depth appropriate for trim. On the B-40 the CB is strictly either up or down.

I believe both the 37 and 34 CB's suffer from "CB droop" over time as they wear. Maybe figure a haulout and rebuild every 10 years.

Bill Siefert designed a new centerboard mechanism for the T37 after he responded to a lot of issues with the T34C system. The pivot point on the T37 is at the keel base, and the pennant attaches to the centerboard top. It is a simpler system and not as prone to the "droop" you mention. It will also allow the board to ride up over obstructions, while maintaining full adjustability. Many T37 owners adjust the board slightly to help balance the helm on various points of sail.

There have been comments cocerning the balsa core, and in fact both the hull and deck of the T37 are cored, with solid layup on critical areas. It is nice to note that there have been very few hull issues at all in 486 boats over 33 years. The Tartan 37 is a quality boat.

Regarding the Hinckley B40, it is certainly eye candy in the extreme. It is a proven passagemaker and there is no question about build quality. If the Tartan 37 has any edge here, it may be in the area of interior accommodation.

Wow, what a choice! Either way you'll end up with a boat to take you anywhere, and one you'll take pride in owning.

Tom
tartan37224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 17:21   #22

I certainly agree that a B40 can be wet. Most B40 owners will don bib foul weather pants before leaving the mooring. Perhaps that's where I picked up this strange attraction for women in weather gear">foul weather gear. Of course, a B40 is sexier
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCI08062009_00000.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	9222  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 17:56   #23

Boat: Tartan 37C "Windgeist"
The hull is cored, but not every where. Keel, rudder, and other high stress areas, it is solid FG. The outer layer of FG is more than a 1/2 inch thick before the balsa, and only 1/2 or so after.

Without getting into a cored vs. non cored debate, I think you should also consider the advantages and disadvantages of both.

I would also mention that from what I have been watching, the Tartan 37 is not deprecating much, if at all, and in some cases the resale has actually risen with a well kept boat. I cant really prove that, but do a yacht world search, you'll see.

I cant comment about anything related to the B40, other than she is a beauty!!!
Windgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 18:18   #24

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
That is a typo I think, the tartans are not cored or maybe the new ones are??. The Tartan 37 K/cb hull#2 (or 1 can't remember ) is not cored. My parents sailed her around the world (yacht Tigger). Also, you can drop the board at any height. If ya want to talk to them just PM me and I'll give you their email. Great boat!!
Cheers,
Erika

PS the Hinckley is one sweet boat too.
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 18:22   #25

Boat: Tartan 37C "Windgeist"
Sorry OC, I think your wrong, you can clearly see some of the coring in the starboard aft lazarette and under the V berth
Windgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 19:07   #26

Erika,

Tigger is Hull #2. It's good to hear from Sharon & Dave's family. We communicate with them via e-mail from time to time, and had the good fortune to meet them several years back at the Annapolis Boat Show.

And yes, the hull is cored, except in critical areas, but it sure didn't stop Tigger. One tough boat - and crew! For a real tesitimonial on the T37, Rick should read Sharon's book: "The Oceans Are Waiting - Around The World On The Yacht Tigger".

Tom Wells
T37 #224 Higher Porpoise
Old 06-08-2009, 21:08   #27

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Ye gads, I may be going crazy(?) but she is not cored. Maybe the other Tartans are but tigger is not-really. Called my dad to double check and he bought her new so he'd know. Are you guys talking about the hull or just the decks? her hull is not, her decks are. You guys sound so sure I'm starting to doubt my own Dad . But how can you own a boat for 30 years and not know the hull is cored? crazier things have happened I guess...
She sure is a great boat, man she sailed like a demon, and handled the waves so beautifully off shore. She always felt like a bigger boat to me, and did I mention she handles the waves beautifully? Lord I miss that boat.
Tom, I'll tell em you said Hi
Cheers,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 21:27   #28

Erika,

I'm not one to doubt Dave, but I can only go by what I see in my boat and others, by surveyor's findings, and by Tartan's own original literature. Here is a direct quote from the original spec sheet, obtained from Tartan and S&S both during preparation of the book:
-------------
HULL

Construction: Hand lay-up of high glass content mat and woven roving, combined with the strtong physical characteristics of balsa core in the underbody plus the use of uni-directional roving in stress areas, serve to create a strong hull, well-prepared for offshore sailing.
--------------

Since Dave was the original owner and lived near the Tartan production facility at Grand River, it may be that he special ordered the boat with a solid rather than cored hull. Standard production used a cored hull.

Either way, it's a strong and seaworthy hull. Sharon, Dave and Tigger proved that! Give them our best!

Tom
Old 06-08-2009, 22:38   #29

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
To throw a wrench in the works here...There were 2 tartan 37's. A Douglas&McCloud(Tartan)37, designed by Ted Hood and the newer Tartan 37 by Sparkman/Stevens. I own Hull#3 of the earlier design and had the pleasure of beating the pants off a B-40. He was a pompous owner who spent his money on wax and chrome polish. We rounded a buoy hundreds of feet ahead of him when our mainsheet line parted and he caught us and past. On the downwind leg, we saluted him and laughed as we past again. The B-40 is a fancy boat but the tartan is a no BS done right vessel.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:25   #30

Quote: To throw a wrench in the works here...There were 2 tartan 37's. A Douglas&McCloud(Tartan)37, designed by Ted Hood and the newer Tartan 37 by Sparkman/Stevens.

The Ted Hood designed D&M 37 (Later dubbed the Tartan 37 "Blackwatch," in 1972 when Charlie Britton took control of the D&M Plastics portion and renamed it Tartan Marine) is a gorgeous classic design. She differs greatly from the S&S T37, which was really an innovative design at the time. (The lines of the S&S T37 formed the basis of the "Tartan look" that still continues today.)

You could certainly add the D&M 37 to your list of desirable boats. There's one available in Florida - Visit the Tartan37.com site and go to the sales area. The boat is listed as a "special entry."

Tags
Bermuda