Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 06:00   #1

Boat: Herreshoff Prudence Design #71 (built by Glander)
Help With HIN location or Hull ID

Hello everyone. I purchased what I believe is a Glander Cay 23' sailboat built in 1970. I was repairing the transom and rail cap the other day and noticed two small epoxy filled in holes on the transom..... Hmmm, I thought to myself this is odd. After a little cleaning of the transom this number became clear (INZ 00010 K202), this is a homemade HIN number from Indiana stating it was built in 2002. I checked the HIN websites and there are no matches. The HIN was engraved roughly and I don't put to much credit into it. My boat diesel is a Yanmar 1GM, I think serial number 818. I have a title stating its a 1970 or 78 boat (sorry the title is at home).

The more research I do into this boat I begin to notice many odd things, like the interior is a mismatch between a Parkins and a Glander Cay version or even a little if a Middleton marine interior. The over all fit in finish is of excellent quality, the boat is cover in teak and bronze. The interior was finish by a boat yard I pretty sure, a boat smith I've hired thinks the same. The exterior has been alter here and there, you can tell this by the oddness of winch locations and hatch openings. The boat smith thinks the hatches and companion way has been replaced by someone without real boat building experience by how its designed.

The LOD is right at 23',6''. The LOL is almost 27'. Neither measurement is accurate with the Glander Cay info I've found, close but not right on. The measurements are closer to the true measurements of a Herreshoff Prudence.

There is a few photos of the boat on my page, please take a look and see if you'll can help me Identify this thing. Any insight into where a manufacturers hull ID could be hidden??? I searched the bilge the other day no luck.

Also I'm having extensive repairs and items built for her. New companion way, new Tiller handle and rudder cheeks, cockpit combing and winch blocks to start with.
Also started removing fiberglass to fix the deck core above the chain locker, around the bow sprint, and on the transom.

I'll start posting photos pretty soon of the over haul.
t140frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:01   #2

Re: Help With HIN location or Hull ID

Many of these boats were sold as a bare hull and you will find many degrees of quality in the finish . In the seventies I was at the factory in the Keys looking at a 33, centerboard . There was several boats sitting out side and the new owners were finishing them .
There are several reasons for hull and /or title errors . Many inland states , small court houses did not know what to do with a carpenters cert or manufacturers certificate , it was easier to register with a state title .
In their day they were tough boats and well thought of . I would assume the engine may have been switched several times .
As to maybe slight differences in specs to real life measurements , remember when these were made a 55 gallon of poly resin was around twenty bucks and we changed anything we wanted , if we did not like the results you would grind off what that you did not like and started all over , it wern't rocket science !
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:17   #3

Any clue if they were mark with ID numbers somewhere on the interior of the boat? I've been looking but have not found anything as of yet.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:55   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

If it is a 1970 hull it probably does not have a HIN, I think that was a 1980-ish kind of thing. If by chance you do have one, it will be on the transom.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 15:36   #5

I found a HIN number on the transom. I guess it was engraved into her by a previous owner in order to have it titled or something along those lines. The HID states its a 2002 sailboat, but when trying to look up the HIN in the state it was supposed to have been registered in, I came up with no known matches.
I was hoping for some insight to normal places a ship yard would have placed a makers mark on the hull in the early 70's.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:04   #6

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Hull Identification Numbers were first required for boats built after Nov 1, 1972 (Hull ID Numbers - BoatSafe.com). If your boat is a 1970, there would be no HIN.

If someone down the line decided it needed a HIN, then the easiest way would be to claim it was a home built boat and get an HIN from the state that reflects it being a home built boat. Trying to document who built a boat 32 years after it was built is neigh unto impossible.

For registration purposes just use the home built number.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:07   #7

Boat: Sea Ray 270

What dave said is correct about HIN's being required. Many states for some reason are still confused about this. Some don't use S/N's or HIN's at all for boats built earlier than a certain date, like NY which I think is 1976. Here in SC its a common joke. Many people just make up an HIN number, make a little placard, glue it on the stern of the boat, take a picture of it, and attach it to their registration application. It just isn't worth arguing with the 'crats about it.
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 13:16   #8

I'm pretty sure your correct. The HIN looks like someone was bent over the transom with an engraver. I found a copy of what I think is the original title from 1979 out of Florida. In the long run guess I should not really worry about it.

To all that replied thank you for your help.

Tags
hull