Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2021, 08:37   #46
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help With Contessa 32 Sale/Process (yatch world boat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
I know. I love them! (Tillers, I mean.)

If he's never sailed before, though, they will be a challenge because, as you know, everything's backwards.

How're ya doin' Boatie? I notice you've got a list of potential boats to hand. Spending some time window-shopping these days, are you?

Are we going to tempt you back from the dark side, so you'll make a return to monohulls? (Oh the horror!)

Warmly,
LittleWing77
Doing okay thanks Little.. considering I've not set foot on a boat for over a year n a bit..
That list is way to pricey for me, just know how to search boat sites..
I'm in the <€15K & €500/mth club...
Price one pays for chasing experiences instead of $$$'s... and I''d not switch it for the world.
As for the Dark Side.. always been an outdoors man be it aft cockpit mono's or open bridgedeck Wharrams.. the rest (condos) are just OP deliveries..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 03:24   #47

Re: Help With Contessa 32 Sale/Process (yatch world boat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
As for the Dark Side.. always been an outdoors man be it aft cockpit mono's or open bridgedeck Wharrams.. the rest (condos) are just OP deliveries..
This is why we love you, Boatie.
(Don't know whether Flinny will appreciate that, however.)

Happy New Year!
Warmly,
LW
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 03:38   #48

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

I think he will, he's becoming educated here.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 07:07   #49

Boat: Rival 36

[QUOTE=

plan eas to buy it, pull it out of the water, replace engine, anti-fowl it, hydrovane it and buy a tiller piolot ready for re-launch sometime in late march[/QUOTE]

New engine (£7-8000), Hydrovane (£4-5,000 plus fitting). There goes any idea of reselling it for anything like you paid for it! If you want this boat, it is going to cost somewhere like 50 per cent of the purchase price to upgrade it to your specification. Would it then be worth £40,000 in a few years’ time? Putting money in old boats may be worth it for all sorts of reasons, but very rarely financially. I have just spent a small fortune on our Rival 36, but you just have to accept that this is money spent to enjoy the boat and have fun sailing...Good luck.
Sailingmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 07:20   #50

Boat: J. J. Taylor, Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinny View Post
Hey All

I'm new to the forum and new to sailing.
spent about three month researching sail boats before i decided to put an offer in on a Contessa 32 (it's a little earlier than i planned as wanted some sailing classes first but covid is driving me mad so i thought let's just do this)

As a committed, long-term Contessa 32 owner, I'd say the one you're looking at looks like an excellent example and is likely worth the asking price, if the sails and canvas are in as good condition as the refurbished hull, spars and rigging--and you know why you want one.

The CO32 remains a much-loved classic in the UK, with a bit of a cult following and a buyer's premium for good ones. Resale in the UK won't be as much of an issue as it would be in North America, where most buyers want as much room as they can get down below. That being said, whether it's worth the money anywhere very much depends on what you plan to do with it. Owners tend to have strong preferences and specific reasons for owning a CO32 and not something else.

For living aboard in a marina -- I wouldn't buy one.

If you're buying it because you want to make offshore passages singlehanded or you need a boat that will claw off a lee shore in a gale along the Pembrokeshire coast -- nothing better, go for it, it might repay you by saving your life.

It's also still an actively raced class in parts of the UK (e.g. The Solent) and the one you're looking at has a race-ready bottom. With good sails, it could be competitive. But that may not matter to you.

Call me vain and shallow but if you like getting constant compliments from bystanders on the dock and want a beautiful boat that will make you smile and turn back for a parting look every time you leave it, you won't do much better.

There were different engines at different times. The Bukh in my 1984 is still going strong and likely to last forever. The issue would be spare parts, not old age and corrosion, but that's in the fresh water of the Great Lakes.

John Clark
Eight Sails
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Eight Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 08:35   #51

I'm with Eight Sails on this one.

Having owned our Contessa 32 for the last 21 years, it is a very well behaved boat. In fact, out of the 14 sailboats we have owned, this one handles the best.

A quick story. I have never owned or sailed on a boat (not to say they don't exist, but I have not had the pleasure of sailing on them) that was so well balanced. One windy day down in the FL keys, we were running full sail. With a steady wind coming over the port bow, the boat was heeled heavily on its starboard side. The starboard stanchions were under water up to the bottom lifelines. There were small rooster tails of water coming from behind the stanchions as we glided along at full hull speed. The starboard port holes in the cabin were under water, and you could see the bottom of the shallow keys when looking through them. With the boat heeled so far over, one would think it would be out of control due to rudder angle/cavitation/etc, but not the C32. I had complete rudder control, and could keep a straight course locked in. No rounding up, no excessive weather helm, etc. And the wheel was not even at full lock to starboard to maintain steerage. Of the many boats I have been on or owned, I have not been on one that could have managed this (again - I am not saying there aren't others).

For us, we love the boat for its sailing manners. If we were looking for spacious below deck accommodation, this is not the boat. But if you want to sail a well balanced and behaved boat, this one is at the top of my list. Just be careful, if you do pick up a C32 for your first sailboat, do not to expect all your next boats to be so kind/responsive to the person at the helm in adverse conditions.

And, to answer your original question, 25k for the boat you are looking at seems to be a good deal for one in that condition. C32's command a loyal following, and as one poster pointed out, sell for more $$$ than other comparable craft of similar vintage.

Best of luck to you this weekend.
genaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 09:56   #52

Good boats overall for day sailing and weekend puttering.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 10:10   #53

Good boats overall for day sailing and weekend puttering. Agreed.

And to the south pacific, atlantic, indian ocean, arctic, antarctic, etc. They have been to all these places as well with a capable skipper.

The boat will take you anywhere on the globe. Whether one chooses to adapt to the accommodations is a different matter.
Old 29-01-2021, 10:31   #54

A quick look on Yachtworld there is a boat listed right under the one you are considering listed for $25 and change US dollars. It has a 2007 Beta engine. Beta is a Jumbotron Diesel marinerized. Kubota is the largest manufacturer of small diesels in the world. The interior looks a bit better in condition but the cushions aren’t as nice.

If you do proceed I would make sure you get Mechanical Survey on the engine. Have the oil sent in for analysis, Check the compression. And all the filters. Ask the diesel mechanic what work he would recommend the engine needs. Keep in mind the diesel would cost about $15,000 US. Of course that is a price I can get but i live 30 mile form Beta’s US Headquarters.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 10:52   #55

The etap is a great boat at a great price. I had one for 30 years. But definitely a weekend boat and not a live aboard in my view. Low on fuel and water storage.

Will single hand well but like a big dingy. Lots of tweaking which makes it better for short passages.
petermjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 10:56   #56

And I think they are as pretty as others in the same class.
petermjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 11:56   #57

plan sounds ambitious and contessa seems to attract premium pricing for some reason

suggest do the courses, crew for people and charter a boat first.. it's about the skills experience and journey not owning the boat. You will find out what features matter to you and what aspects you can compromise on.

I don't know why in such a rush to buy something -sailing itself is an exercise in patience - but if you really feel the need to start paying for insurance mooring fees and all manner of costs - i'd be inclined to look at something more manageable under 30 feet with reasonable engine already installed at around £500 per foot or less. Use the savings in the first year to rent a small apartment near the marina and pay for on board tuition.

Also of note if you pay 20K for new upgrades professionally fitted you will be lucky to get half of that back when you sell.
Walter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 12:27   #58

The Contessa 32 is a classic; I doubt you will have any trouble selling it in due course. Check out the story of Assent.
dstraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 13:32   #59

The Contessa 32 is a very special boat, one that will take you very far if you so wish.

I have sailed a C32 all the way to New Zealand and I never had one problem with it. I was being a tourist in French Polynesia, renting cars and shooting videos while others were repairing their much newer boats. For a single-hander it would be hard to beat the Contessa 32, whether you sail around your home waters or the world.

I have had 6 boats in my life, but Nerissa K was the most special to me, and will always be the best boat I ever owned.
NorthernLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 14:09   #60

From Northern Light:

I have had 6 boats in my life, but Nerissa K was the most special to me, and will always be the best boat I ever owned.

I totally concur. I think there are some who do not have kind things to say about the boats seakeeping mannerisms, and I wonder if they have ever been aboard one.

If they have been sailing on one in medium to heavy air and are still convinced they are not a good sailing craft, then I really need to heed their advise on what they think is a well balanced/behaved boat, because I have never owned nor sailed on a more capable boat in its size range.

Not that they are the best boat around, nor the fastest, nor the prettiest, and certainly no argument on the lack of accommodations. But the C32 is the most well balanced, and easily managed boat in adverse weather than any other boat I have had the pleasure of sailing. And very easy to singlehand. I typically keep boats for 2-3 years. This one I have had for 21 and counting.

Tags
boat, sale