Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2021, 04:27   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Help With Contessa 32 Sale/Process (yatch world boat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinny View Post
no, i was suppose to be starting lessons in Jan, this is now pushed back to march re-covid

plan is to buy it, pull it out of the water, replace engine, anti-fowl it, hydrovane it and buy a tiller pilot ready for re-launch sometime in late march
Well you could, but I would be buying a Raymarine Evo 100 before the hydrovane unless you are planning on crossing oceans in the next couple of years. The difference in price would pay for the cockpit enclosure you definitely need.

The hydrovane is also a heavy piece of kit, there are others much lighter:

https://www.windpilot.com/n/wind/en/prod/paci/

https://windvane.co.uk/

Sea Feather Wind Vane Self Steering | Dartmouth, South Devon

Don't forget the dinghy and outboard.

Do we need to discuss what you are going to look for on the 30th? also that you are planning on living on board most of the time.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 07:09   #17

Hey Pete..

wouldn't be living on the contessa, maybe the one after.

i'm just viewing on sat. then it would be subject to a professional survey and haulout.

any tips to what to look for would be great, re- price negotiation
thanks
flinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 08:35   #18

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

she's pretty!

i considered one contessa at one time. she sold in a heartbeat!

first observation, i found that, since there is quite a large following for this boat, that prices easily linger to the upside. apparently, they are very fun to sail!

the personal downside for me was in what i wanted to use my boat for (in part): the length of the keel at around 1.8 cannot do some of the river/canals in europe. and, even when the keel length is shoal enough, those canals and rivers also have seasonal drought issues. something to consider, if this is a part of your plan. the same goes for the Gladiateur 33: a fun boat to sail with a long keel.

the only really bad thing i ever heard about a contessa (assuming you enjoy sailing a submarine) was in an online discussion in which someone stated that the GRP is thinner in the contessa than in other grp boats of the same period and that the thinner hull can become fragile with the years (thinner as compared to the HC and the Tayana, those that have super thick hulls). and APPARENTLY, there was an incident in which a contessa was punctured and sank surprisingly quickly. who knows if what we find on line is true, so please do your research.

if you do go for the contessa, know that the Jeremy Roger's boatyard still does fine work (they've got a great rep).
https://www.jeremyrogers.co.uk

perhaps contact them? they may even know this particular boat.

i've never looked at the Etap (want a pretty boat), but the Rustler and the Rival as well as Sadler are about as good as it gets over here in Europe. i'd add the Rasmus 35 if you are looking to live aboard more than coastal sail, though the shape of the hull is not my favourite. The Chuck Paine boats are well reputed over here as well: the Victoria 34 and Francis (the Victoria 800 and Francis 26 being very, very small below - i felt so cramped!). And you do find UK-made Island Packets on this side of the world as well.

If you are looking for an american made boat over here, welcome the club! sometimes we see a Gardener Vagabond or Crealock's Pacific Seacraft 37 and sometimes a Perry Tayana 37. I saw a Passport 40 for sale in the UK once, which brought a smile to my face (though watch the elbowed chainplates). very infrequently, some Harwood Ives boats change hands as well, though so quickly! and, over these few years of searching, i did see a Cabo Rico for sale/sold in europe, twice.

and... just a heads up on your search for a boat made for the american market (this is the reason why i do not have my own boat yet!): do your homework because you may be required to have your boat officially imported (a hassle, one you pay for). i do not know if Brit residents will need to do this now that the Exit is complete, but this is how it is for EU residents.

good luck and keep us posted!

wolfgal
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 08:40   #19

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

IMHO recovering your purchase price after a few years is very unlikely. You would be better advised to assume significant price depreciation in your plans. Right now the virus has inflated boat prices and that bump will disappear in a few years.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 08:40   #20

Boat: Outremer 42

Take your time deciding on a boat. The Contessa looks wonderful, but having owned one for a few years, I wouldn't go near one now. They were designed in the mid-60s and it shows. They are very cramped with little storage space and small tankage. Check that the after shrouds have had the modification done to the shroud plate mounting bolt internally - I broke mine falling off a wave and found out about the mod afterwards! They also don't sail well except hard on the wind in comparison to other 32 footers you can buy.
For single-handed sailing they are fine, but liveaboard,,,,,???
Keep looking would be my advice.
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 08:51   #21
jas
Wonderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wellington 44 cutter rig

Just another opinion: I crewed on a Contessa back in the day and regarded it an able boat around the marks, but pretty much a day sailer in terms of room and facilities. Since I go 6'4" and 300# and was invited on board as ballast while not grinding winches, I'm a bit prejudiced. Others have mentioned resale and i agree, if looking to come out the other end close to the outlay going in, better to find a more useable vessel. The Cabo comes to mind. Cheers!
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 09:04   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinny View Post
Hey Pete..

wouldn't be living on the contessa, maybe the one after.

i'm just viewing on sat. then it would be subject to a professional survey and haulout.

any tips to what to look for would be great, re- price negotiation
thanks
That's slightly different then and you have heard from a few owners.

Take a camera and use it, a torch and mirror. You're not doing a survey but is sure nice to look into the back of lockers and under the cabin sole etc and see what is going on. Photo everything and you can ask us afterwards if you are not sure about something.

Inspecting the sails will be difficult but ask to see and ask the age. The Genoa has had the UV strip replaced, so that's not a new sail for UK waters, perhaps 7 or 8 years old. £1500 to replace with a half decent dacron fabric rather than cheap stuff.

Final question, does that boat have a "look back" factor as you walk away? that's really important. No boat is ever an investment, you're buying it as a pastime and hobby
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 09:14   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by out42 View Post
Take your time deciding on a boat. The Contessa looks wonderful, but having owned one for a few years, I wouldn't go near one now. They were designed in the mid-60s and it shows. They are very cramped with little storage space and small tankage. Check that the after shrouds have had the modification done to the shroud plate mounting bolt internally - I broke mine falling off a wave and found out about the mod afterwards! They also don't sail well except hard on the wind in comparison to other 32 footers you can buy.
For single-handed sailing they are fine, but liveaboard,,,,,???
Keep looking would be my advice.
how can i check the after shroud bolt mounting?
will this be on the inner chain plate fixing?

wont, these be hidden from view inside, by the internal vernner sheets just forward of galley, aft of the seating arrangment/table, near the windows?
Old 23-01-2021, 09:19   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
she's pretty!

i considered one contessa at one time. she sold in a heartbeat!

first observation, i found that, since there is quite a large following for this boat, that prices easily linger to the upside. apparently, they are very fun to sail!

the personal downside for me was in what i wanted to use my boat for (in part): the length of the keel at around 1.8 cannot do some of the river/canals in europe. and, even when the keel length is shoal enough, those canals and rivers also have seasonal drought issues. something to consider, if this is a part of your plan. the same goes for the Gladiateur 33: a fun boat to sail with a long keel.

the only really bad thing i ever heard about a contessa (assuming you enjoy sailing a submarine) was in an online discussion in which someone stated that the GRP is thinner in the contessa than in other grp boats of the same period and that the thinner hull can become fragile with the years (thinner as compared to the HC and the Tayana, those that have super thick hulls). and APPARENTLY, there was an incident in which a contessa was punctured and sank surprisingly quickly. who knows if what we find on line is true, so please do your research.

if you do go for the contessa, know that the Jeremy Roger's boatyard still does fine work (they've got a great rep).
https://www.jeremyrogers.co.uk

perhaps contact them? they may even know this particular boat.

i've never looked at the Etap (want a pretty boat), but the Rustler and the Rival as well as Sadler are about as good as it gets over here in Europe. i'd add the Rasmus 35 if you are looking to live aboard more than coastal sail, though the shape of the hull is not my favourite. The Chuck Paine boats are well reputed over here as well: the Victoria 34 and Francis (the Victoria 800 and Francis 26 being very, very small below - i felt so cramped!). And you do find UK-made Island Packets on this side of the world as well.

If you are looking for an american made boat over here, welcome the club! sometimes we see a Gardener Vagabond or Crealock's Pacific Seacraft 37 and sometimes a Perry Tayana 37. I saw a Passport 40 for sale in the UK once, which brought a smile to my face (though watch the elbowed chainplates). very infrequently, some Harwood Ives boats change hands as well, though so quickly! and, over these few years of searching, i did see a Cabo Rico for sale/sold in europe, twice.

and... just a heads up on your search for a boat made for the american market (this is the reason why i do not have my own boat yet!): do your homework because you may be required to have your boat officially imported (a hassle, one you pay for). i do not know if Brit residents will need to do this now that the Exit is complete, but this is how it is for EU residents.

good luck and keep us posted!

wolfgal
i'll check out your suggestions, re-boats
thanks wolf
Old 23-01-2021, 09:27   #25

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
That's slightly different then and you have heard from a few owners.

Take a camera and use it, a torch and mirror. You're not doing a survey but is sure nice to look into the back of lockers and under the cabin sole etc and see what is going on. Photo everything and you can ask us afterwards if you are not sure about something.

Inspecting the sails will be difficult but ask to see and ask the age. The Genoa has had the UV strip replaced, so that's not a new sail for UK waters, perhaps 7 or 8 years old. £1500 to replace with a half decent dacron fabric rather than cheap stuff.

Pete
yes, photograph everything.

there is a survey 101 link somewhere, a guide to help you with your initial inspection, which could help you learn to look the boat over.

if you have a friend who is a seasoned sailor/boat owner who can accompany you to look the boat over, this may help as well.

when i view a boat, i can usually determine whether i want to pay a surveyor or not. some of the things i tend to do:
look for any signs cracking around the chainplates inside the hull (take the books out of the cabinets). sometimes tiny cracks can be seen in the paint. check to see if the head door closes easily or not (this can be a big deal). look for signs of weeping on/around thru-hulls. if there bilge water, i taste it (rain ingress, water tank leaking, or sea ingress?). i carefully (very carefully) check to see if the seacocks are frozen. i look for corrosion on everything electrical. i look at the jubilee clamps on hoses, how these are looking (are there two?). look for cracks in the standing rigging wires. look over hull for repair painting: was the boat repainted recently? if so, ask why. i bounce a bit on the decks...., look for signs of ingress, stains, ...all kinds of things

don't get me wrong, i am always super respectful when i check a boat (everyone should), but i find that, bit by bit, i've gotten better at not wasting money on a surveyor.
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 09:27   #26

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

I like those Rustler 31s.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 10:02   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Have you ever steered a boat with a tiller, not a wheel...?
Yes, once for 72 hours straight. Way easier to 'feel' the rudder input, much easier on the hands and better use of ergonomics as you can use more different muscles in steering, never a question which way the rudder is pointed, and you can steer with your legs leaving both hands free to work the boat.

Personally hate wheels and tore the one out of my Pearson 35 after swearing at the contraption for 5 years and a couple of mechanical failures. Wheels are Yuppie affectations that have sadly infected the boating world.

Bolt on keel set ups rarely have a sump and if they do it's usually not deep enough to contain the water that inevitably gets in. With a sumpless bolt on keel anything lying against the hull all the way to the deck will eventually get soaked by bilge water especially in the conditions where the most water will find its way inside. A well designed boat with an encapsulated keel will have a nice deep sump to corral the water. Bolt on keels may be the current craze in Europe but it doesn't make the boat more livable.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 10:41   #28

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Have you ever steered a boat with a tiller, not a wheel...?
It sounds like the OP has never sailed before. Steering be damned, the North Sea or the English Channel just don't sound like good places for a complete novice to be out single handling while learning to sail. Having never sailed either place, the stories I've heard make me feel this is a bad idea and something I, with quite a bit more experience, would think twice about attempting. Rather than buying a boat, he should be looking to join a good yacht club. I hate to sound like a broken record but it seems we get this scenario about once a week where a complete novice wants to go out and buy a boat. We've been beaten down to the point where we're now suggesting other boats he might be interested in when he really should be doing OPB for awhile.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 11:16   #29

Boat: Victoire 1122

@Flinny; I've been sailing a Contessa 32 (538) from 1980 until 2003. I sailed her from The Netherlands over the NorthSea to Shetland, Norway, Danmark, Sweden, Polen. Family on board; doughters were nearly born on board!
She is very good sailing vessel!. When you have sailed her you know why there is no wheel needed instead a tiller. Marvellous!
Yes there are some problems with leakage, most times on the starboard side, where the building crew did not built the deck and hul correct together. New boats have their trouble; older well maintained boats are some times much better!
So sailing qualities, you can't get a better one! State of maintenance is up to the boat specific as it is with every second hand boat type.
Mine went back to the UK in 2003!
Succes
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 12:28   #30

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

We had a Contessa 28 in The Netherlands 4 years ago and it was a great boat. Less $$ than a 32 and probably more space. I'd buy one again but they don't look as sweet. Designed by Doug Peterson. Met a few that sailed over from Essex. Ours had a tabernacle mast and full cockpit enclosure too.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sale