Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2021, 09:11   #1

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter
Help Please... Removing Fixed Portlights

I have a 77 Fuji 35 and I want to change out all of the glass on my fixed portlights.

They appear to be Laminated glass panels that have separated (and in 2 cases cracked) and are fogging

I've removed the outer aluminum rings and all of the outer screws. I sanded the inner teak window trim to look for more screws and don't think there are any.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of portlight? I've scoured the internet and am not sure how should I proceed at this point
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210221_120655.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	233733   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210221_120625.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	233734  

Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:55   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Help Please... Removing Fixed Portlights

There's a guy in Corona makes plastic portlights used on boats built in 70's, he's always been real helpful. Call him and send some pictures, he may have dealt with them in the past.
https://www.markplastics.com/apps/location/
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
There's a guy in Corona makes plastic portlights used on boats built in 70's, he's always been real helpful. Call him and send some pictures, he may have dealt with them in the past.
Excellent, thanks Ted, Mark was a huge help.
Old 03-03-2021, 19:19   #4

Boat: S2 9.1

Are you asking how to remove them?

They are obviously held in by some caulking/adhesive. You might try a thin putty knife around he inside to cut them free.

Good luck
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:41   #5

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Interesting. The trim ring with the screws is usually on the inside and the window mounted on the outside. From your photo it looks reversed.

I would assume the screws went through the fiberglass into the interior trim ring, you can confirm by checking their length. If so, the window is removed from the inside.

To do so you can use a heat gun to soften any adhesive and push on the edges from the outside, inserting a flat edge between the window gasket and the fiberglass. It would suck to mess up your interior with scrapes and such, so working from the outside seems best. If you're replacing the glass anyway you can try using a rubber mallet to bang on the glass as well. Using heat will make the whole job easier.

I assume you want to reuse the frames, but if they're damaged upon removal you might be looking at ordering custom windows. I've been happy with these guys.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
Interesting. The trim ring with the screws is usually on the inside and the window mounted on the outside. From your photo it looks reversed.

I would assume the screws went through the fiberglass into the interior trim ring, you can confirm by checking their length. If so, the window is removed from the inside.

To do so you can use a heat gun to soften any adhesive and push on the edges from the outside, inserting a flat edge between the window gasket and the fiberglass. It would suck to mess up your interior with scrapes and such, so working from the outside seems best. If you're replacing the glass anyway you can try using a rubber mallet to bang on the glass as well. Using heat will make the whole job easier.

I assume you want to reuse the frames, but if they're damaged upon removal you might be looking at ordering custom windows. I've been happy with these guys.
It's a weird set up... I'm going to try the heat gun idea... thanks!
Old 04-03-2021, 12:00   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

Try removing the glazing from the outside and see if the glass will pop out. The teak may get damaged if you try to pry it off.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 20:25   #8

CaptVR here:
Get terminology correct.
1. Lights are fixed to frames and are solid with the hull or cabin.

2. Port Lights are a glass or plastic normally set in a metal or plastic frames. These are
set on hinges and have dogs to lock them. Hence port - lights being transparent

3. Ports are solid door or hatch, normally a metallic that is secured with dogs. Vent only

From your picture, you are replacing Lights, not port / lights. With building boats for more than 55 years, I always used Butyl Rubber sealant, it stays pliable for decades, never leaks and can easily replace glass, lexan, acrylic, etc. easily in the future.
Never want to use products like 5200, will they work, yes. Can you replace the glass, no.
Dow 795 does work quite well for a bedding sealant, especially on large lights like those side lights on trawlers and motorsailer pilot house windows. Main thing with 795, check the date, if it is expired, don't use it. It seams to never harden just stays as it came out, don't set. As far as getting yours apart, I've found a sharpened edge on a flexible putty knife works most of the time.
Happy sailing all.
Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret. MS St.Petersburg, Fl.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 21:15   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

So I have had some luck on something similar, if you can soften up the sealant with heat, with a strong fishing line pulled back and forth in a sawing action between frame and side of the house. I really cannot tell if that applies here from your photos but I'll just throw it out there.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 23:17   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Skylark has Lewmar portlights from the 70s. The aluminum frames are in two pieces, one exterior that holds the glass and a retainer frame on the inside that pulls the outer frame to the cabin top.

I used a multi-tool with a small thin saw blade and cut between the fiberglass and the aluminum to remove the outer frame. I had to "bake" the two larger frames as the old and fogging safety glass needed to be removed and was held with Sikaflex in the frame. I took the two large frames to a powder coating company and had them heat the frames and when they came out of the oven, we wore thick gloves and were able to pull the frames apart.

This is a handy product that I know is available in the US.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Mark is great. He is old school and you must call him. Leave a message and he's pretty good about returning a call. He fabricates a good product.

+1 951-735-7705Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201105_111703.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	233817
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Mark is great. He is old school and you must call him. Leave a message and he's pretty good about returning a call. He fabricates a good product.

+1 951-735-7705Attachment 233817
I talked to him for about a half hour... great guy!

his suggestions, along with a few other great suggestions in this thread have given me a great plan of attack for today.

Tags
lease, portlights