Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 10:09   #16

Boat: Looking for our first boat
Search Update!!! Here we are almost 2 months later and this is still a moving target.
Still have not set foot on a boat and 3 of the 4 boats we originally liked sol quickly.

Some of the new contenders are:

1973 Seafarer 31' (wheel, diesel, new sails, good condition) 5k
1980 C & C 26' ( no wheel, gas inboard, lots of gadgets) 6k
1977 Columbia 29' (wheel, diesel, avg. condition) 12k
1977 Hunter 30' (wheel, great conditon) 11k
1979 Moody 33' MKII (wheel, been on land for 12 years!!) 12k
Any thoughts or advice on these?
Jim Buffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:31   #17

Boat: Pearson 281
I am a big fan of the Sparkman Stevens designed Columbia 29 with the full keel/cutaway forefoot. Built like a bricks%&#house and will steer themselves all day. Good boats from all I could tell occasionally sailing on a freind's. Right after I bought my Columbia Challenger and sunk a couple of thou into her a 29 came up for sale on the same dock with a recently rebuilt engine for 5,000... that was a lesson for me in being patient when buying a boat.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:40   #18

Boat: Pearson 281
P.S. I think 12 is too much for a 29 in average condition. Go with cash, offer half and see where it goes from there. Take a good look at the hull to deck joint on it too.
Good luck!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:46   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Formal lessons from a good sailing school will teach you things that you will never get by having a relative stranger take you out for casual day sails. Its not just learning how to sail the boat itself. Its many other things as well. Many of these things relate to safety, therefore I would not scrimp in this area.

I have never met anyone who has regretted taking sailing lessons from a good sailing school. They always seem to say they learned a lot more than they were expecting.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:36   #20

Not familiar with the C&C 26 or Moody 33, but the Columbia or Hunter would serve your needs well If in Good Condition. I would steer clear of any boat that has been and still is stored on land for 12 years. The Moody is the roomiest of the bunch, the Hunter would be second.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 14:53   #21

Boat: a sailing boat
I feel comfortable when there are 2 people on a 25-27 footer. But I am in Las Palmas (Canary Islands) and my Latino neighbours will go in no less but a family of 8 for a weekend day at anchor just outside the marina. They would also probably beat me upwind in strong conditions.

What I am pointing at is - you can take as many crew as the plate say - look up manufacturers' specs for each boat.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 20:00   #22

Thanks for the feedback. I am making my first visit to a boat dealer this week and hope to bet a better feel for my long list of wants, needs vs. the reality of the size of my checkbook and limited time available to sail right now (kids activities, no water nearby!. I may very well end up with a trailer boat that I can use when I have the time, build up some sailing confidence (I still plan on taking basic lessons) and go from there.

Keep up the suggestions. There seem to be tons of choices out there and I can use all the help I can get!
Old 14-03-2010, 20:04   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
I am a big fan of the Sparkman Stevens designed Columbia 29 with the full keel/cutaway forefoot. Built like a bricks%&#house and will steer themselves all day. Good boats from all I could tell occasionally sailing on a freind's. Right after I bought my Columbia Challenger and sunk a couple of thou into her a 29 came up for sale on the same dock with a recently rebuilt engine for 5,000... that was a lesson for me in being patient when buying a boat.
I am trying to use the same patience. I have seen a lot of "nice looking" boats in the 20-30k range, but feel like I would enjoy myself more and the learning experience with a starter boat before taking a huge plunge a few years down the road!!
Old 14-03-2010, 20:42   #24

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
There are so many choices in that size range and most will be fine for a first boat, i would pass on anything 25ft and under as there is a big jump in roominess above that and most will have close to 6ft headroom whereas most at 25 will not,Ericson 27 and 29 would be good choices too.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 19:40   #25

Boat: Seafarer 38
Seafarer

I would take a look at the Seafarer. I really like my 38.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote