Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2015, 19:16   #31

Boat: Adams 40
Re: help me with buying a blue water yacht

A tiny suggestion - not for Konrad but for the rest.

Before I say my bit, let me say that all the advice given here looks sincere and well-meaning.

Remember he's in Sydney, Australia - not Sydney, Around-The-Corner. Recommended boats which are commonly found on your patch may not be available to him in Sydney. It's a gimme that many will not be avaialable or will be way out of the price range. Boats are very expensive in Australia. The market here is small and there are many boats which should have been scuppered years ago. Simply put, I had to go offshore to get what I wanted and, even after the crazy taxes to be paid once back here, I'm still better off financially by a long, long way. So, keeping in mind that he doesn't have the experience to bring one back the 10-12,000 nautical miles to Australia, rather than suggesting specific boats, my suggestion is to give him general direction on what to look for or what to avoid. How to's or what to's might be much more helpful.

"You should look for a boat that does/has/provides etc... " would probably be much more productive advice for him.

Giving him some advice about finding a really competent marine surveyor might be really helpful. And what to look for or look out for BEFORE engaging one.

Just trying to focus things a bit for the guy.
David
Ozwizz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 10:09   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanamuk View Post
We were not much older than you when we got the dream of sailing off shore -had no money and never sailed a real sail boat -basically a raft with a mast!! but we had a dream we were determined to live. We bought an Endurance 35 hull and deck, moved aboard and over the next 4 years we built the boat around us in the water at a government dock. We taught ourselves to sail by reading those books someone already mentioned and in the summer of '82 headed south to California and Mexico, milk run to New Zealand up the western Pacific to Japan then home to Canada 3 years later. In '94 we took off with 6 and 7 year old kids in the same Endurance and did a 7 year circumnavigation. We still sail the heck out of the old girl 37 years later and have never wished we had a bigger or faster boat. So I recommend a 32 to 35 foot fiberglass boat, cutter rigged, full keel with cut away forefoot built before they knew how strong fiberglass is, and keep it simple - if I can't fix it I don't want it! Our Aries work flawlessly via a vertical tiller in the lazerette to a cable quadrant - opened a ball valve to bypass the hydraulic steering. An inexpensive auto pilot also moved this vertical tiller and a handle could be added to the top giving an emergency tiller if the hydraulics failed. We have had friends with West Sail 32's, they liked them and could keep up with us in all but beating conditions - with good luck and proper planning you don't have to beat very often!
Cruising will cost everything you have, if you don't have much it doesn't cost much! Good luck with living your dream (and I hope you find a lover to share the dream with!! - The most important "addition" to our boat was a compatible partner who wanted to be there as much as I did.)
Cheers Rob
Great post.
I especially like the "...with cut away forefoot built before they knew how strong fiberglass is, ...." part!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 10:50   #33

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

+1
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 18:47   #34

Thank you guys so much for all your replies! so helpful!
im ordering those books that were suggested. working 2 jobs 6 days, i got 6 grand so far 24 to go. its gonna happen if i can get it in summer i can hopefully get comfortable enough with it doing coastal cruising that means i can go to Vanuatu in the winter. unfortunately there is a lot less boats in aus to choose from. some of the ones suggested arent here at all. im looking at
Westsail 32
sparkman and stephens 34
sadler 34
Cape dory 32,34,36
Pearson 36
tartan 37
Morgan 383 384

I love the idea of buying one in the states and sailing it back. thats probably a bit to bold at this point though. maybe not.. lol
i met a couple of young guys in mexico that were doing that in a shitty $3000 boat they bought san diego. no autopilot no lights and no real experience
it was inspiring even if it is dumb
ill keep you posted when i can start making offers and stuff.
any other yacht suggestions?
thanks guys
Dash Rendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 19:17   #35

Boat: Westsail 28

Interesting , now the W32 is at the top of your list . Good choice . I would just leave it there and get one . You had better plan to come to the US to get one . Check this out .
WESTSAIL - CRUISING BOATS FOR SALE
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:03   #36

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

What is the old salty's thoughts on this boat for the OP? (and kinda for me as a learning foray, don't often see discussions on aussie boats.)

Adams 31, looks to have been really well looked after, new or rebuilt bronze skin fittings, standing rigging, mast, engine, prop...

No full keel with protected prop but at least a skeg hung rudder and should be considerably slipperier than a W32 (albeit at a cost of space, it's a fair amount skinnier).

The cockpit looks a bit chopped up but I guess there's good stowage in those lazarettes.

Used Adams 31 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
Old 03-05-2015, 07:22   #37

Boat: a sailing boat

Mind that whatever boat you get, you may want to have a proper full haul out (boatyard time, lift, dry storage), check out (engine man, rigger) and patch up (more and more and more time and man hours). If it is your first boat, you are less likely to be able to go it all by yourself.

By patch up I unfortunately mean likely new rigging, new fittings, news sails, new engine parts perhaps, etc.

At times, when you get a very clean one from a very decent owner, you may escape with only minimal overhead. Just do not take it for granted. Meaning allow for this spending when buying any s/h boat.

Have fun buying / getting ready and sailing. It is well worth all the expense and effort after all.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:30   #38

Boat: Island Packet 31'

allied seawind mkII...allied princess 36'...ketch rigged yachts
southern cross 31'
Would you consider teaming up with me to buy the boat?
I have found a Shannon 28' for not much money...$15,000...Shannon boats are expensive full-keeled heavily laid-up glass boats...Shannon is still making boats in Rhode Island!
red_marine_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:29   #39

Boat: Bowman 36 ketch, 11m

One piece of advice when buying a boat, especially if it is your first. By all means make an offer on a boat you like the look of and the price, but make your offer subject to survey.
Money spent on an expert survey is money well spent, and may well save you a great deal. When I bought my current boat - my second cruiser - the surveyor cost me GB£300. He spent nine hours going through the boat from end to end, so I then knew exactly what needed attention. He found some very important problems that I would never have spotted, which allowed me to go back to the vendor and negotiate a reduction in the price of GB£4,000!

Best of luck and fair sailing!
Ketchcalimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 01:41   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_marine_28 View Post
southern cross 31'
I have found a Shannon 28' for not much money...$15,000...Shannon boats are expensive full-keeled heavily laid-up glass boats...Shannon is still making boats in Rhode Island!
Nah im looking at getting one for myself. whats the shannons boat? do you have a a link?
Dash Rendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 07:39   #41

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_marine_28 View Post
southern cross 31'
I would keep a Southern Cross 31 on my list too.

Simple, repairable and proven. Decent amount of living space, plenty of volume to keep good supply of water and stores.

Not much ballast but still a heavy boat. Wonder where the weight is in. Some say the hull is thick.

I have seen one that came from the US to Las Palmas. I have also seen one cruising in the Caribbean.

Not a perfect boat, but given the price/quality/properties a good shot anyways.

SOUTHERN CROSS 31 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 07:59   #42

Boat: Scout 30

I've seen a couple of Cabo Rico Tiburon 36's for sale in the teens lately. A lot of boat for the money. I'd feel comfortable cruising one of those if it's in good condition.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, water, yacht