Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2016, 10:26   #91

Re: Help me spend $350 K on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I have 20+ years of cat experience. What I don't like about them is exactly what most people love about them; they're too stable. It's boring.

That's exactly my concern with cruising a CAT. How would I get my sailing "fix"? You know, when the moon is high, the wind is up, the helm is balanced, the decks are at that perfect angle, and the bow is slicing through the waves like butter.
ShackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:27   #92

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShackAttack View Post
OP HERE:

We both have significant sailing experience having crewed on Other Peoples Boats in the Florida coastal waters, Bahamas, Caribbean and some chartering. I've also crewed on a few boats off the Atlantic coasts of Europe and through the Med and into the Adriatic. My favorite boat so far was a fantastic 45 Alubat Ovni which handled the stormy waters of the Bay of Biscay with absolute ease. But seriously expensive and rare to find in the US. Garcia and Allures are beautiful. But I am not sure how easy it would be to find repairs for aluminum boats on this side of the pond.
You have plenty of aluminum boat builders and repair facilities in North America. Plenty of aluminum boat builders even if almost all are motor boats manufacturers.

The French sail those boats all around the world exactly because they need few maintenance. Regarding finding them in America sometimes they are for sale in Martinique, some even do charter service there.

There is an American sailboat builder of Aluminium yachts, Kanter, but the boat are hugely expensive, not centerboarders but certainly will fall inside the category of sturdy boats.

Sail - kantermarine
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:30   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinowski View Post
Buy a $250k boat. Then use the $100k for repairs/upgrades/custom work.
Thanks for the succinct answer. This may well be our plan.
ShackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:30   #94

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
OP HERE:

Sincere thanks to all who have replied, both serious and sarcastic! I am getting so much useful info from your thoughts and from reading up on the various links you've provided. I didn't mean to come off as a snobby sailing Princess or a clueless newbie either.

We both have significant sailing experience having crewed on Other Peoples Boats in the Florida coastal waters, Bahamas, Caribbean and some chartering. I've also crewed on a few boats off the Atlantic coasts of Europe and through the Med and into the Adriatic. My favorite boat so far was a fantastic 45 Alubat Ovni which handled the stormy waters of the Bay of Biscay with absolute ease. But seriously expensive and rare to find in the US. Garcia and Allures are beautiful. But I am not sure how easy it would be to find repairs for aluminum boats on this side of the pond.

Again, other than our personal day sailers (Laser, Sunfish, Flying Scot), almost all our cruising experience has been on OPB's. It is a big shift to consider which direction to go when buying and outfitting our own cruiser.

Priorities so far:

Given our initial cruising grounds - shallow draft, CB swing or lifting keel

Given our ages - Reasonable sail area, stable underway, electric winches and windlass, lines to cockpit, easy to traverse deck and sides, probably CC and cutter rigged. We do love the feel of a balanced boat under sail at a good heeling angle but are actually considering a Cat for the 80/20 dock/ocean ratio we've both found to be true. Though I didn't intend for my post to get moved to the Multi page - it did give some interesting feedback.

Given our comfort druthers - Three cabin, two heads, redundant power sources (solar, wind but prob not generator), great refrig and freezer, modern electx. Manual heads or possibly compost.

Given our conservative risk tolerance and relative inexperience in maintaining a boat - something in the 5 - 10 yr old category with excellent owner maintenance history, proven durable construction, and possibly a known factory which is still in business, easy to obtain service and parts. One suggestion was to buy an older model and have the factory do the restoration. We live near Island Packet so that seems a possibility.

So yes we've begun to develop our priorities and to be sure there is no perfect answer but I do gain insight and confidence listening to your collective wisdom and experience. Thank you!

As to the Multi-vs-Mono Hull question I have never sailed a Cat. But in response to many who suggested it - we are going to charter a Cat in the Bahamas for a family spring break trip. It's somewhere to start.

Thanks to all. I am value your insights and am reading everything you've posted.
It is quite refreshing to read your reply, and glad to hear that you are not offended by some of the comments. I am sure everyone here wishes you the best...
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:43   #95

Boat: Scout 30

To the OP, your thread starter was in no way snobby & you gave no impression that you were inexperienced. These were simply unfortunate conclusions some chose to jump to. I do hope you can make the Miami Boat Show. Not only a ton of boats to check out but the boat show discount is a very real thing. Builders are very motivated to sell the boats on display.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:52   #96

Sorry, that post was an old posting - expired, This was just posted 2/8/2016

42 Solaris Sailing Catamaran

Regards.... Ciao
kealiiaukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:27   #97

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Here is a Kanter... Canadian built and well viewed. ALU. This boat has been for sale for a L...OOO...N...G... time. At least 4 years.

GL

1990 Kanter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:55   #98

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
Very intelligent way of turning this thread into monohull vs multihull, from a multihull lover who spend years on monohulls you don't know what you are missing, a bad day or better bad hour on one cat in F7 can't be basis of your strong anti multihull feeling. Did you consider that in F7 if wind, waves and current are against one another a monohull would equally struggle with bad rolling certain. There are cats that do not slap! Go out with monohull and multi and anchor out few days! Then decide objectively what you want. The 350k is easy to spend!
Just be gratefull it wasn't about guns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Is this your first boat?
This was my thought too. If it is to be the 1st boat, maybe the cart is in front of the horse.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:56   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Here is a Kanter... Canadian built and well viewed. ALU. This boat has been for sale for a L...OOO...N...G... time. At least 4 years.

GL

1990 Kanter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
And they say the price has been greatly reduced I said they were hugely expensive, $250 000 for a 26 year old boat!!!!

On a 26 year old boat lots of things are probably for changing. It is hard to understand how somebody is going to buy that when one can get a 9 year old OVNI 435 for the same price.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:59   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
The boat description on the add:

"Maia is an ideal mid-sized racer/cruising catamaran for
buyers wanting to compete in racing regattas while still
enjoying a host of comforts and features for weekend
escapes or tackling exhilarating ocean crossings."
http://www.multihullsolutions.com.au...m-44c-Maia.pdf

From the original post it don't look likes the OP is interested in racing and a cruiser-racer is far away from the description he makes of the boat he wants:
"42 - 48 ft sturdy, well built cruiser"

It seems to me a nice boat even if with looks and finish a bit on the rustic side, with a very nice price even if they say the price does not include taxes.
If you read the post you'd see I said I - as in - ME would buy that boat. I happen to know it is well built and very strong. And an excellent cruising boat.

I know the builder. Better built than the vast majority of production garbage.

But unlike some, I wasn't trying to tell the OP what to buy. He can make up his own mind.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 14:12   #101
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
That's exactly my concern with cruising a CAT. How would I get my sailing "fix"? You know, when the moon is high, the wind is up, the helm is balanced, the decks are at that perfect angle, and the bow is slicing through the waves like butter.
Depends on your definition of "the perfect angle". Mine is one where my coffee mug doesn't slide off the cockpit table.

And I've had plenty of nights just like that. (Only with with "bow is" replaced by "bows are")
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 14:30   #102

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

It seems to me a bunch of people just like to hear themselves run on?

Constructive criticism is great. If it is constructive and founded.

???
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 15:30   #103

Boat: Sou'wester 50 yawl

Hi

Take a look at this boat. Seems like she'd fit your plans & needs to a "T"

1978 Hinckley SouWester 50
kellyp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:56   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyp08 View Post
Hi

Take a look at this boat. Seems like she'd fit your plans & needs to a "T"

1978 Hinckley SouWester 50

That is a lovely boat and a boat that would make any owner proud but in what concerns practical purposes it is a luxury item. Not saying that the boat is not able to circumnavigate, even if for that size there are more modern boats much more adapted to do it even if not any of them would make it with more style than the Hinckley.

BUT: you are talking about a collection boat, a beautiful almost 40 year old boat and one thing is to have the boat in conditions for some coastal or some offshore passages another thing is to have it in conditions to make a circumnavigation.

Has I said no problem with doing it on her, if you are a millionaire, because the maintenance of that boat would be hugely expensive, like the one of any very old luxury vehicle. To substitute all the items and systems that have not been renovated recently would cost a fortune and the boat cost already all the budget the OP is available for the boat.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:20   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
It's a good thing I'm sober or the monohull > multihull > monohull forum would have me seriously confused (too)
Sobriety is over-rated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yes, nice guys that apologize when mistaken is confusing on this forum
I have had lots of practice ...

Quote:
Thanks for the succinct answer. This may well be our plan.
The buy at 250, add 100k is the best advice here...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote