Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 14:34   #1

Help me inspect these survey notes please!

1982 35' Mooney Departure

NOTES
A. Maintenance history was not available at time of survey.
B. Provide soft wooden taper plugs next to each underwater thru-hull or seacock for quick response if necessary.
C. Valuation Method: Prices are US dollars.

1. Business Method can be considered. Private pleasure use reported.
2. Cost to Construct Method can be considered. Most of today’s vessels are mass produced of fiberglass. Steel construction is expected to be 10% more than fiberglass. The cost of replacement is estimated at $230,000. Using straight line depreciation, $100,000 original cost to construct and a 50 year life the value of the vessel is calculated to be $34,000.
3. Market Method: There were four similar kind and utility vessels listed on Soldboats as sold between 2011 and 2015 in the USA, including the subject vessel which was sold in 2011. The average selling price is $26,401. An internet search yielded three similar kind and utility vessels on the market in the USA. The average asking price is $53,014. The asking price is adjusted down by 19% which is the calculated reduction for asking price to selling price on Soldboats yielding an average adjusted price of $40,352.
4. Using the Cost Method of Appraisal for the hull and machinery, and what the client is willing to pay knowing the vessel’s condition, selling price of the subject vessel in 2011 were all taken into account when determining the Current Fair Market Value.
5. The current market value of this vessel is calculated at $19,0000.

RECOMMENDATIONS AND APPRAISAL FINDINGS
1. Scattered rust noted along port and starboard deck around welded life line bases, on deck house to deck welded joint, along deck house brow, inside hatch slides. Clean, inspect, repair if necessary. Properly prepare surface for selected paint system. Recoat.
2. Remove bolted deck fittings such as pulpits, hand rails and dorades. Clean, inspect and repair if necessary. Properly prepare surface, recoat and properly bed fixtures upon installation.
3. Exterior wood needs refinishing.
4. Sliding hatch is rotting and delaminated. Repair.
5. Cockpit sole grating is broken. Repair.
6. Anti-fouling paint is in poor condition. Renew.
7. Hull paint contains scattered ½” or less blisters down to the metal. Remove and renew.
8. Vessel is 33 years old. Perform audio gauging/ultrasonic thickness measurements.
9. Opening port gaskets are hard. Renew gaskets.
10. Age of rigging unknown. Candy cane stripes noted. Have a qualified rigger inspect.
11. Turnbuckles are missing cotter pins. Install cotter pins, properly spread.
12. Running backstays are plastic coated wire. The plastic is staining. Renew backstays with non-coated wire or synthetic line.
13. Sun protective covering on head sail is torn. Repair or renew.
14. Mast needs tuning. Have a qualified rigger tune.
15. Mast boot is worn. Renew.
16. Plastic Dutchman patches in main sail are loose. Repair or renew.
17. Heat exchanger cap has been replaced with a plate. Remove plate to check coolant level.
18. Engine water inlet seacock body bolts are wasting. Clean, service and renew bolts, renew seacock if necessary. Seacock is welded to the hull.
19. Plastic muffler sighted. Renew with one that meets UL-94. Fiberglass is acceptable.
20. Vibrations noted. Possibly due to misalign and or loose engine mount. Investigate and repair as necessary.
21. Rust noted on propeller shaft. Remove, clean and inspect. Renew if necessary. 22. Forward port engine mount is loose at engine. Check engine alignment, correct if necessary. Tighten engine mount to manufacturer's specifications.
23. Engine temperature gauge is not functioning. Repair.
24. Throttle stopped functioning as the vessel returned to slip. Repair.
25. Pull propeller shaft. Clean and inspect, especially in the packing gland area. Renew if necessary.
26. Change all engine filters and fluids.
27. Repack propeller packing gland. Properly adjust after installation.
28. Bottom pintle and gudgeon has slightly more play than the upper two. Monitor. 29. 120VAC outlet in galley not GFCI protected. Install GFCI protection for all 120VAC outlets to meet current ABYC Standard E-11.15.3.5 and prevent electric shock.
30. Install Equipment Leakage Circuit Interrupter (ELCI) to meet current ABYC standards.
31. Install AC voltage meter.
32. Install DC voltage meter.
33. Aft battery: a. Cover to insulated positive post. b. More than four conductors on terminal. Remove conductors and terminate four or less on battery post. Installation of terminal strip may be necessary. c. Terminated in incorrect order. Land largest conductor first followed by next smaller.
34. Switch in head not labeled for function. Determine function and label.
35. Two switches in galley not labeled for function. Determine function and label. 36. Renew anodes.
37. Formica is lifted from cabinet in galley. Repair as necessary.
38. Strong sewage odor. Investigate and repair.
39. Toilet water inlet seacock did not operate. Bolts are rusting. Clean, service and renew bolts, renew seacock if necessary. Seacock is welded to the hull.
40. LPG system:
a. Locker requires a rubber gasket on hatch.
b. No other items are to be stowed in the locker.
c. Bottle requires securing.
d. Did not pass leak test. Investigate and repair leak.
e. Do not use liquids containing ammonium to check for leaks. f. Install proper warning label next to locker. See attached example.
g. Provide LPG detector.
h. Bottom of locker is rusty. Clean and re-coat.
41. Secure refrigerator.
42. Provide a manually operated bilge pump. Pump should be operable from the helm.
43. Provide high bilge water alarm.
44. Windlass is stiff to operate. Service windlass.
45. Anchor rode is worn and parted. Renew.
46. Provide a means of re-boarding vessel from the water with the bottom rung/step at least 24” below the water line.
47. Mount compass and check deviation. Provide a deviation card. Be aware that moving the mounting location, due to steel hull construction, will change deviation. Prove light operation.
48. Provide additional means of dewatering vessel.
49. Provide updated navigational charts for areas of operation.
50. Provide Garbage Placard.
51. Provide Texas Clean Water decal.
52. Provide on board a copy of the Inland Navigation Rules.
53. Forward navigation light wiring has wire nuts. Remove wire nuts and properly splice wiring.
54. Provide distress signals.
55. Provide proper type, size and quantity of personal floatation devices for conditions and number of crew/guests.
56. Provide Type IV (throw type) device.
57. White stern light is not functioning. Repair.
58. Prove anchor light and steaming light before operating vessel after sunset.
59. Non-serviceable fire extinguishers should be renewed every six years. Renew both extinguishers. Inspect and note gauge position annually.
60. Install marine carbon monoxide monitor/alarms (ABYC Std. A-24) and smoke detector/fire alarms (NFPA 302) to protect all enclosed accommodations.
61. Install a fixed automatic "clean agent" (i.e. CO2, Halotron™, FM-200, FE-241) fire extinguisher for the engine compartment or provide a portable clean agent extinguisher and a fire port for discharge into the engine compartment.

VALUATIONS
Estimated New Replacement Cost $230,000.00
Estimated Current Market Value $19,000.00

CONCLUSION
This vessel, as described herein, and subject to compliance with the foregoing recommendations, was found to be in satisfactory condition for its intended service of near shore cruising in the Gulf of Mexico. This survey is made without prejudice to the rights and/or interest of whom it may concern.
htx_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 14:42   #2

Re: Help me inspect these survey notes please!

This would be my first purchase if things work out so I could use some help determining the seriousness of certain issues pointed out.

My plans for the near future are the keys/bahamas, long term plans are south america, hawaii, new zealand.

The broker sent me this survey that was done a month ago, I do plan on hiring my own survey if I decide to continue with my interest.

It is listed at the rated price of $19000, broker said price is not set, what would your first offer be?
Old 07-06-2015, 17:10   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Get the yard to give you a written estimate of what it would cost for them to fix all those things, add an extra 50% for a too low estimate, add the costs for new sails, and step back and have a think about this. If you are already a competent welder, and happy to learn to deal with the paint systems, you might want to make an offer that will cover that conservative cost estimate. You're going to need a dremel tool, a lot of patience, and there's a heap of work to do there.

Ann
Old 07-06-2015, 17:54   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

A few pictures would add valuable information to the comments.
Absent of pictures, sounds like a rusty old tub with a bunch of deferred maintenance.

$5k in my (check) book.
Old 07-06-2015, 17:54   #5

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

If you hired a yard to fix everything on that list the bill would come in well north of $19k.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.travellingwithgeorge.blogspot.com
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 18:14   #6

Boat: Skookum 53'

Before I would even entertain the idea of an offer, I would want to know what the audio gauging report indicated as far as how much hull plating is left. From the work list I see, they would have to just about give the boat to me. You are asking for at least 3 months of 7 day a week work, if you were to do the work yourself.
Old 07-06-2015, 20:31   #7

Thank you for the replies! They are most helpful.

Here is the ad listing for some imagery:
1982 Mooney Departure 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Also if anyone were curious/kind enough I could email the full survey that has images of the listed issues.
Old 07-06-2015, 22:39   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

This boat needs a ton of work. You will be in for a topsides and deck repaint. R&R'ing deck hardware is not an easy job. It requires a ton of boat yoga, bilge diving for dropped nuts, bolts and washers, and usually two people, one on deck and the other doing the yoga. Took nearly a week to pull the hardware on my boat to paint it for me and a helper. The refrigerator will be useless away from a dock. Is there an Ice Box or can you live without cold beer??

You will be able to do most of the work yourself if the hull and deck plating is okay. Figure a month of steady full time labor to get the boat in a condition to sail Most of the equipment seems to be either not working or in poor condition. You'll be dropping a lot of money to cure these issues. l'd budget at least $10,000 for gear. If you have to hire someone, that will be extra. Might ask the guy if he'll pay you to take it off his hands. Older glass 35' boats seem to be selling between $20-$30,000 in good shape and working equipment. A lot have sold for less. Unless you can talk the owner way down and you have the time and inclination to do the work, the boat would be worthless to me.

Have built one boat from a bare hull and presently rehabbing a 35' glass boat. Speaking from experience.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:23   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One more comment: it seemed like a well done survey report....but he still could have missed something.

Ann
Old 08-06-2015, 05:14   #10

We can all find something wrong , but , I like it ! It is easy to sit here and tell you what to do . I like the looks and from the survey think most problems can be fixed over the course of time . Most of listed items are no threat to life and limb . Buy it a fix it as you go . A surveyors job is to pick it apart , and he did ! Any one who waited till the boat was perfect before going sailing is probably still waiting . Cruising is all about fixing your boat in exotic places .
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:40   #11

Not a bad report, lots of normal maintenance issues to be attended to. A couple of weeks work and you should have a tidy boat.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:50   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the listed items are that which th e previous powner needs to repair. if po doesnot want to repair em, offer 9,500. that should offset the price of repair of most of it.
the bad seacock souds like needs replaced. have owner do that also. can be done in water or out of water.
what the seller refuses to repair should not be too much money. these are almost all easily repaired or replaced items. is all routine maintenance, and neglect is the word i would use to describe the condition, after seeing the long list of neglected items. the wood work aint gonna sink ye.
replacement of fire extinguishers and pfds isnt gonna sink ye--sounds like he didnt pass vsd per uscg aux.... that stuff is easily replaced.
if you LOVE the boat, offer 9500 and see what the seller says. give reason for low offer as beoing the results of survey. is all protocol. have fun and good luck
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:54   #13

That should keep you busy for a while.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:33   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

The Mooney look like a sweet boat. I too, bought a 1973 Pearson 36 against the surveyor's advice. The electronics weren't working and outdated, the chainplates were leaking, the toe rail was leaking, the 40 year old silicone was failing everywhere.

I wanted a Pearson 36 and this one did have a new Yanmar with less than 100 hours and I knew that I could make all the repairs and upgrades myself and with a friend who knew about electrics.

We rewired the whole boat, installed a suite of new Raymarine electronics, new sails and so on.

I paid 40k for the boat and probably put another 40k into her. I am now in my 7th year of renovations, only working part-time on the projects. I live in Germany and the boat was on Long Island, so that put a crimp in the time I could spend each year.

In 2009, I sailed her to The Netherlands and resumed work on the cosmetics.

So...what I am trying to say is that if you love the boat's layout and performance, it can be worth the time and money to bring her back. Assuming you have time and money.

If the hull and deck don't have major issues, if the engine and rigging don't have major issues, the rest are fixes that can be effected over time.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:45   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Looks like a good boat. Here is a link to information about the builder 35 departure 986

If you are handy, you could bring this boat back.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, survey