Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2011, 09:04   #16
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Since I have never been privvy to owning a finner, nor the replacement or helping in the replacement...can someone tell me specifically how one would remove a fin, perform a replacement, then realign and install the fin...

oh...and with minimal or NO help?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 09:14   #17

The '77 Islander is a good choice for the money. I wanted to buy the shoal draft version, but could not afford it. Solid glass hull (plywood deck, though) and a lead keel (prior to '76 you may see steel). The 6' draft is fast and stiff. The 5' ("Florida") version seemed good to me, but I am told it is not as smooth. The experts here have given some good advice. You will have to fix any boat, may as well buy one that you can afford to fix.

Keep an eye on the mast step, by the way. Most every Islander from that period has had to repair or replace. Check the Islander forum, you will see a lot of discussion on the issue.
LowBudgetDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 09:22   #18

Thanks Again

I've made an offer on the boat and am waiting on the seller's approval. You might say I'm on the edge of my seat. The Boat was in pretty good shape, The keel bolts were bad though, The most forward one being the worst, The nut was falling apart. The others are rusty but stable, who knows what they look like inside, I'm going to have others sistered in next to them. There is a little water in the bilge. What does this mean? is the seal between the hull and keel affected? Maybe I should sister in these bolts and then epoxy barrier coat and bottom job. I know this is going to cost money and am prepared.

Thanks again,

Paul
paulmccaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 09:41   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
water in bilge should only be coming from the packing gland for prop shaft and/or maybe the packing gland for rudder. if from other sources, find and fix em. check all the thru hull fittings--any sheen is water-touch and feel, and smell the liquid to make sure is water and go from htere....
i thought the islander had encapsulated keel-- my 1977 did-- but mine wasnt 36- was smaller....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 10:05   #20

Boat: O'Day 37 Center Cockpit "Namaste"
Keel bolts

I've only owned encapsulated keel boats--Islander Bahama, Ericson 29, and now an O'Day 37. Many boaters have bolted keels, and these boats can do fairly well. But you'll have less to worry about with an encapsulated keel (poured keel); e.g., the famous "Catalina Smile."

Islanders are fairly decent boats. The 36s were once the most active racing fleet on SF Bay, known for its strong tidal currents and summer winds that nudge up to and sometimes gust past 30mph. Other boats of similar vintage and manufacturing standards that you'll likely find dependable and affordable: Ericson, Coronado, Santana, Catalina, Pearson, Ranger. Cheers.
lorenzo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 10:09   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
eeeewwwww--dont put my ericson in with catalina and columbia ..LOL.....
i found some of the earlier encapsulated keels also had keel bolts-- my islander was one-- had a broken one--ii didnt worry about it as the keel was encapsulated. no problems eveer occurred as result of this-i owned boat for 3 yrs.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 14:19   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Since I have never been privvy to owning a finner, nor the replacement or helping in the replacement...can someone tell me specifically how one would remove a fin, perform a replacement, then realign and install the fin...oh...and with minimal or NO help?
Undo the nuts and jack the boat up; when clear, ease keel onto its side, fix or replace bolts, stand the keel up and drop the boat back down. Of course support the boat with more than jacks once free of the keel. Not quite a doddle but bloke in our club did it that way. For fins with a flange, just replace one bolt at a time; no removal required.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 14:27   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmccaige View Post
The keel bolts were bad though, The most forward one being the worst, The nut was falling apart. The others are rusty but stable, who knows what they look like inside, I'm going to have others sistered in next to them. There is a little water in the bilge. What does this mean?
The water in the bilge is probably just due to the keel bolt problem. That's the good thing about keel bolts - they let you know when a problem is developing by allowing some water into the bilge. Or it could be any of the other sources Zee mentions above.
Old 13-01-2011, 20:38   #24

My offer was accepted!!! I'll be dealing with these bolts sooner than later!!!
paulmccaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 20:51   #25

Boat: Sceptre 41
Have you looked at this?

Keel Bolts

Islander36.org is a great site for info on Islander 36's

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 22:02   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmccaige View Post
My offer was accepted!!! I'll be dealing with these bolts sooner than later!!!
Great. Enjoy the learning curve and you'll have a top boat in no time. Cheers.

Tags
keel bolts