Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2015, 23:30   #16

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25
Re: Help Identifying this boat...

Performance wise I guess it may not be fast, but there are many criteria to performance. I imagine it would point better than a catamaran, and be way nicer to sail to windward in a blow than most fin keeled monohulls. We just bashed back from Mexico to Ensenada a few months ago in our 36' full keel sailboat and after 60 hours of 40 kts on the nose and fairly large , often breaking seas we seemed to have had less of a challenge than several others we talked to, during and after. And most if not all of the Hunters, Jeanneaus and Beneteaus were skippered by delivery crews because the owners didn't want the kind of punishment they would receive. Another reason we were less beat up is we have a pilothouse, and both aft cockpit and center cockpit boats told us their cockpits were full many times.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 12:18   #17

Boat: Westsail 28

I'm starting a Jazzy fan club . And I'm the first member . Jazzy I like your style you like em' SALTY ! You want a cruising boat , not a racer boat . A friend of mine has a PS Orion for sale , sadly he has let it go it needs cosmetics and rewire , prolly has engine issues ( hasn't been run in yrs.) and yet he won't budge off 75K . My point is there are so many salty cruising boats out there right now prices are starting to come down . Now I don't know your budget , but people like my buddy are dreaming . Have you ever heard of a Dreadnought 32 ? DREADNOUGHT 32 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
how about a Westsail 28 or a 32 WESTSAIL - CRUISING BOATS FOR SALE
Yikes I don't believe it . No W28s for sale . Mango was bought a little bit back . 38K was on the high side but Mango had some extensive up grades .
So keep lookin' Jazzy , it will happen .

markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 13:26   #18

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
I'm starting a Jazzy fan club . And I'm the first member . Jazzy I like your style you like em' SALTY ! You want a cruising boat , not a racer boat . A friend of mine has a PS Orion for sale , sadly he has let it go it needs cosmetics and rewire , prolly has engine issues ( hasn't been run in yrs.) and yet he won't budge off 75K . My point is there are so many salty cruising boats out there right now prices are starting to come down . Now I don't know your budget , but people like my buddy are dreaming . Have you ever heard of a Dreadnought 32 ? DREADNOUGHT 32 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
how about a Westsail 28 or a 32 WESTSAIL - CRUISING BOATS FOR SALE
Yikes I don't believe it . No W28s for sale . Mango was bought a little bit back . 38K was on the high side but Mango had some extensive up grades .
So keep lookin' Jazzy , it will happen .

My kind of boat, 100%
Old 02-11-2015, 19:45   #19

Thank you guys for all the helpful input. I've been checking those out. Now let me ask another question... I don't plan on being able to take the big cruise for prob 10 years. I was thinking what boat might be a good local cruiser to step me up to something like we've been discussing. I have very little sailing experience...some dinghy racing in a Snipe and lots of hours just sailing it around the harbor. I'd be interested in a modest boat that won't fall apart...

Or is this not worth considering?

Curious to see what you guys offer up!

JAZZY
jazzydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 19:48   #20

I do seem to like em salty...just learning that!

Lol!

Jazzy
jazzydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:59   #21

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzydaze View Post
Thank you guys for all the helpful input. I've been checking those out. Now let me ask another question... I don't plan on being able to take the big cruise for prob 10 years. I was thinking what boat might be a good local cruiser to step me up to something like we've been discussing. I have very little sailing experience...some dinghy racing in a Snipe and lots of hours just sailing it around the harbor. I'd be interested in a modest boat that won't fall apart...

JAZZY

There are a bunch of trailerable sailboats out there that will fit the bill. The biggest limiting factor is your tow vehicle. The reported weight of most boats is usually the dry weight meaning no fuel, water, gear, supplies or trailer. This extra stuff can add considerable weight. The other limiting factor is draft. Too much draft makes launching very difficult & limits when & where you can put in. Also, complexity of rig can take a lot of the fun out of it. You'll get a lot of recommendations for the Catalina 22 but that's a really generic design that has little character, weighs a lot & takes a lot of time to set up. A new design that's really popular is the Scamp. Small & can be trailered by anything but very capable with a lot of character.

https://www.facebook.com/SmallCraftA...gazineProject/
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:11   #22

Boat: Scout 30

Sometimes a small boat can do things a big boat can't.

https://vimeo.com/133833096
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:33   #23
Zeb

Boat: Seaward 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzydaze View Post

JAZZY
Check out the Seaward 25's for a trailerable with classic lines. Shallow draft and decent sailor.

- Zeb
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote