Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2017, 17:47   #31

Boat: Nassau 34
Re: Help Identifying this 36 ft. sailboat hull and deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Below are the few pictures of a Nassau 34 that I have seen. There is one currently for private sale on Vancouver Island that I looked at. But the maintenance had gotten away from the owner and his attempt at sanding the brightwork left it with more work than I was looking for. Only around 40 built I believe, there is a FB page for owners. One thing I did discover is they laid the gel coat too thick which resulted in cracking all over the boat and was very apparent from the one I looked at. It looks very similar with the exception of the cut out for the sprit but that may have been done after it was pulled form the forms? IMO its a pretty close match

Life aboard in the NE And the work continues!

Life aboard in the NE And the work continues!

Thanks rbk, that's my boat and I agree looks like a Nassau 34 to me. Mine is almost done ready to leave this spring, do need to update my old blog. But the Nassau is the only boat, I BELIVE that had that bowspite attachment .
Old 21-02-2017, 17:47   #32
rbk

Boat: T37

Ha! Bluman your blog is literally the only info on the Nassau out there. It was very helpful when researching the boat. Had the owner taken better care of her I would have jumped on it.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 17:55   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Ha! Bluman your blog is literally the only info on the Nassau out there. It was very helpful when researching the boat. Had the owner taken better care of her I would have jumped on it.

Their a well made boat, but mine also was not taken care by the PO. Finally got her ready. I had to replace a bulkhead and make a new bowspite. But after 3 Years she's close to done. I do know of 2 other owners. What are they asking? Also the deck layout is exactly like mine. And she is 34' not 37, or 39. As some assumed. Well good luck.
Old 21-02-2017, 17:57   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazystar@aol.com View Post
Hi everyone,

A friend just boat this boat at a lien sale ..and I am trying to help him figure out just what it is that he bought!

It's a never built , hull and deck. It has internal ballast and bulkheads tabbed in.

The rudder is still brand new in the crate right lying next to the hull.

Approximately 36 ft. long. My buddy says Hans Christian …but I am not sure.

I'm attaching to pics of the boat and 1 of the hull number.

Hull number looks to me like: SYLMN007B292

Any help identifying her would be greatly appreciated. Quite a project. Eh?

thanks,

Jon

Nassau 34, read my posts further on. Well made , except for the thick gel coat, but thick hulls and deck.
Old 21-02-2017, 18:07   #35
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemansailor View Post
Thanks rbk, that's my boat and I agree looks like a Nassau 34 to me. Mine is almost done ready to leave this spring, do need to update my old blog. But the Nassau is the only boat, I BELIVE that had that bowspite attachment .
Good to hear, you did a great job in your refit. I've never seen another in my search with that attachment as well. I remember of the few that were made very few were popping up. I think on Facebook there were about a dozen. I looked at Yodel. Wouldn't surprise me if there were more unfinished hills hidden in barns. Great value and President Yachts are still around but not making S/V anymore
Old 21-02-2017, 18:28   #36

Boat: Sunbird 32

Quote:
I own a Nassau 34, the stern and how the bowspite is attached is exactly how my boat is . Not ,many boats have the Oval thru the bulwark bowspite attachment. Also the cockpit layout with the rigid running along the back is exactly like a Nassau 34! Their great boats extremely well made, thick, as I have added and moved thru hulls so I know the hull and deck is thick.

It also has an internal keel, molded into the hull. Any questions or other photos to prove it let me know.

hmmm …maybe that is what we have. The hull number is confusing though. Do you mind checking if it similar to yours? and in the same place?

Also , when you say " internal keel" do you mean ballast?

thanks
lazystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 18:51   #37

Boat: Sunbird 32

I checked your blog and surfed the net a bit. I totally agree …we have a Nassau 34.
Any idea where I could find info online? plans , line drawings etc?
thank you.
lazystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 18:59   #38
rbk

Yes internal ballast. If that split runs the length I'd be checking if water intrusion into the ballast is the cause of the crack. Your pic shows the back and ballast is foreword so hopefully it is cosmetic as I believe they're iron not lead. Sailboat data has some info and as mentioned before George Stadel III is the designer. Good pedigree as the designer of the Shannon 38, HC 43, Westwind 38 and more
Old 22-02-2017, 07:38   #39

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazystar@aol.com View Post
There is a crack down the middle seam. It doesn't appear to be structural …. just through the gel coat.
I believe we are looking at a Slocum 37.
That would give me reason for concern. A guess is, she was made in two molds and joined, possibly for shipping size as a kit I hope it is cosmetic but I would inspect that thoroughly before investing a bunch of money and labor. If it is the case the halves may be great but joined by a novice. Something caused the jell coat to crack in a straight line. JMHO and the best of luck
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 08:36   #40

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I'm going to go way out on a limb and suggest it might be a Corbin 39. They were sold as kit boats, to be finished at home. So you can imagine, many remained unfinished.
Definitely not a Corbin 39. The boat in the picture is full keeled and appears to have mounded in bulwarks! The Corbin 39 has neither of these features. Corbin's have canoe sterns but fin keels with skeg rudders. Your pic doesn't look like a Corbin, or f it is, it's heavily modified from stock!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 14:16   #41

She is definitely a Nassau 34 bare hull. The gel coat was applied too thick, I have some cracking and blisters on the deck. Nothing serious. My hull number starts with PRY, which stands for the original builder Presidental Yachts. Perhaps they sold the molds?
There weren't that many made, mine is made in 1985, so your date of 1992, leads me to believe that some one else brought the molds. Lazystar I emailed you, hope you got it.
Old 23-02-2017, 14:24   #42

Also the hull number is in a really strange place . Mine is on the starboard side just below the deck on the stern
Old 23-02-2017, 14:59   #43

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
She is definitely a Nassau 34 bare hull. The gel coat was applied too thick, I have some cracking and blisters on the deck. Nothing serious. My hull number starts with PRY, which stands for the original builder Presidental Yachts. Perhaps they sold the molds?
There weren't that many made, mine is made in 1985, so your date of 1992, leads me to believe that some one else brought the molds. Lazystar I emailed you, hope you got it.
If the molds had been sold the only thing that can be compared is the design lines. Construction is another story.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 13:59   #44

Boat: Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Definitely not a Corbin 39. The boat in the picture is full keeled and appears to have mounded in bulwarks! The Corbin 39 has neither of these features. Corbin's have canoe sterns but fin keels with skeg rudders. Your pic doesn't look like a Corbin, or f it is, it's heavily modified from stock!
In the interests of completeness the picture that hamburgking posted is of a particular Corbin 39, specifically the hull #108 which had its keel and its rudder skeg faired together. See pictures at (108 – Off Sea Sun – Corbin 39 Association). As far as I know this was the only Corbin 39 to be given this treatment.

For various reasons we can be sure that the hull which this thread is about is not a Corbin 39, however it was not at all a daft suggestion for consideration.

regards, pb
petit bateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 15:26   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Unfortunately USCG changed how they keep HIN/MIC records about ten years ago. They now routinely reissue old MIC's (the first three characters) to new builders when a previous owner of the MIC goes defunct. They have always done this but they used to also publish the history of MIC's which they no longer do.

They have also deleted many foreign mfg's from their records even tho' they are the ones that hand out MIC's They have assigned BEY to BGM in South Carolina even tho' they'd already given it to Beneteau. ..... solution, simply delete Beneteau from their records.

This has rendered their website useless to many old boat researchers.

Tags
boat, deck, hull, sail, sailboat