Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2012, 10:56   #1

***HELP..Hunter 35.5 LEGEND vs ANY OTHER MANUFACTURER***

Hello all,

I'm shopping for my first boat. I grew up with and am no stranger to sailing. Currently I'm looking at a 90' Hunter 35.5 Legend. I like the idea of the wing keel so that I may take her into shallower water. I would most likely keep her at Atlantic Highlands in Raritan Bay (not too shallow). I want the option of sailing up to Cape Cod and and down to the Chesapeake so she needs to be able to handle the ocean well. I'd love to take her down to Fla. All in good time. She needs to be roomy on the inside but not cumbersome. I like the forward and aft stateroom of the Irwin CC 37 but the census was it was slow. I like the idea of a roomy cabin but I want to get where I'm going. I believe she has a Yanmar 3gm..

my criteria: ocean worthy
shallow draft
2 staterooms
able sail solo or at least with my wife that I cant expect too much
fast (Ijust don't want to feel like I'm going nowhere)

I've looked at other boats, Cal, Catalina, Irwin, etc.. They all seem the same to me..

Is there anything about the Legend that you like or dislike? Would you recommend the Legend over another boat or visa versa?? Is the yanmar a good motor?

I look forward to hearing everyone responses.. I love reading these forums.. I've always preferred learning through other experiences and not make the same mistakes..

Thanks everyone..
jason_bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 12:26   #2
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: ***HELP..Hunter 35.5 LEGEND vs ANY OTHER MANUFACTURER***

Didn't you ask this on another thread? Anyway now you will probably get the normal Hunter bashers. I know nothing about a 35.5 but you can learn about it from the below link:

HunterOwners.com
Old 29-12-2012, 12:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Didn't you ask this on another thread? Anyway now you will probably get the normal Hunter bashers.
Got one.

This "normal Hunter basher" actually likes this design.

I have one concern. Many had CNG stoves and some owners to whom I have spoken have indicated that swapping to LPG was not easy. They had problems with reasonable access to CNG facilities.

Yanmars are great motors and generally easy to get parts.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 13:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ***HELP..Hunter 35.5 LEGEND vs ANY OTHER MANUFACTURER***

See other thread...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 13:16   #5

thanks jackdale , I appreciate any info ..

don lucas and boatman, I intentionally went on cruisersforum because I thought I get a broad range a people with more experience on different boats..thats to say I didn't want to hear a bunch of hunter owners talk about how great they were.. Ive read all you guy go round and round on other threads and I really wanted to hear your opinions and why you had them...
Old 29-12-2012, 13:28   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_bradbury View Post
thanks jackdale , I appreciate any info ..

don lucas and boatman, I intentionally went on cruisersforum because I thought I get a broad range a people with more experience on different boats..thats to say I didn't want to hear a bunch of hunter owners talk about how great they were.. Ive read all you guy go round and round on other threads and I really wanted to hear your opinions and why you had them...
Never had a Legend... did own an 82 Cherubini 37 cutter by Hunter...
why did I buy it...? It had an awesome stand-up shower...
I was sick of the sit on the toilet and wave the spray over your head we got in the EU at the time...
Later... after a solo trans-atlantic and beating the **** out of a 40ft Bendi from Poole to Hurst Point I came to the conclusion they're OK.
Hope this is some use...
Make a change if I come out with something considered intelligent..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 29-12-2012, 13:36   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I almost bought one, I love the design and the look. They have the sugar scoop transom that I also love, but when the 400 Beneteau came up for the same price, I had to go with the newer and bigger Beneteau. Also by the way there is one for sale on the Tampa Craigslist for around 50K, and it was a freash water boat for most of its life.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 14:12   #8
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_bradbury View Post
So if I understand you, you want opinions from people who haven't had a Hunter 35.5 and aren't interested in the opinions of those that have?

Sounds like you want to poke the hornets nest with your stick instead on learning about the boat you asked about!
Old 29-12-2012, 14:53   #9

don lucas, thanks for the link, read all the reviews ... it was interesting...there were some comments/ complaints made that were worth noting...maybe I had a poor choice of words..let me try again...I was using this forum, hoping to find a broader range of people with experience..assuming that most people on occasion take a ride on someone elses boat or perhaps, bump into someone that has owned several throughout the years and had an opinion...

for example...I own a 64 1/2 mustang convertible and although mine doesn't they have a reputation of leaking oil...but I also know that changing the water pump on an old camaro is so much easier..4 bolts and your done, its a much better design..

I also know that the Irwin cc 37 has a Perkins 4108 ...great motor( so I,ve read) Ive also read that its a dry boat...but Ive also read that it cant get out of its own way..

the point is I dont care what boat you own, If you bought a pearson rather than a morgan you did it for a reason...I want to know why..everyone, yourself included did some research before you opened your wallet and committed to something..I want to know what you learned and I certainly wouldn't ask a salesman in a yard trying to sell whatever stock he has..

hearing all of the sailing communities responses is learning about the boat I asked about..
Old 29-12-2012, 15:04   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mate... the only reason I bought the last 14 boats is coz I like to sail... when I run outa cash I sell em... get a job and start again..
Now I'm an old fart and no one will hire me for a decent job (toilet attendant holds no appeal) I deliver boats instead...
Unlike most on here I'm not looking for 'THE BOAT'... if it floats thats fine by me... no deck leaks and a dry bunk is a bonus.
So skip the sarky BS... take what info's given and work with that..

Old 29-12-2012, 15:14   #11

Boat: PETERSON 44
Yea I have not sailed one.so I comment. I like it at first glance. Low profile house side is good. looks like the entry at the bow isn't flat. Not sure but look at that a nice v entry is great as the bow falls into the wave rather then slaps hard. Don't like the ports in the hull nor the fixed ports on the cabin side. Suspicious how these are held in. Not because of the builder but because its easy to f this up and dress out the interior. Hard to make these really good hard to fix.. At 13000 lbs its mid light weight. Construction quality worries me especially with the fixed glass pieces. If your like most boat folk she will do you fine. Would look at how bulkheads are tabbed. Check trim and doors. If you see they are out of line or the trim shows unvarnished pieces the hull is moving.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 16:06   #12

thanks sabray!! thats the kind of feed back im loking for!

hey boatman, you deliver boats?? youre exactly the reason I posted here, to hear guys like you..guys that have been on a lot of different boats and have an opinion. theres a ton of cheap boats out there and I feel like I can pick whatever want(to a point)
Old 29-12-2012, 16:39   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_bradbury
thanks sabray!! thats the kind of feed back im loking for!

hey boatman, you deliver boats?? youre exactly the reason I posted here, to hear guys like you..guys that have been on a lot of different boats and have an opinion. theres a ton of cheap boats out there and I feel like I can pick whatever want(to a point)
It's impossible to answer this question, short of writing a book. Having sailed many production boats over the years they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Having sailed too hunters both as charters I'd say they don't stand up well to that life compared to beneteaus or jeaneauxs, but they seem fine as a general coastal cruiser. The winged keel was notorious for picking up kelp and for being difficult to unstick if grounded as the wing often caught on things. You do get a lot of boat for your money.

Other then that , you need to form your own opinions based on experience.

Dave
Old 29-12-2012, 19:40   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The winged keel was notorious for picking up kelp and for being difficult to unstick if grounded as the wing often caught on things.
As well when you try to heel (a standard method of getting unstuck with a regular keel) you will dig in farther with a wing keel.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote