Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2022, 13:15   #1

Boat: looking
Help finding the right boat

Im looking for a sailboat for me and my family.
Wife, mini 0, 4 and 6y old and me.
But.. i lack experience, and have only sailed on Bavaria cruisers, and would love some input from the forum.

Safety and comfort comes over speed, as regatta is not my thing.

It is to be used mostly for coastal sailing, but i want to go offshore aswell. I dream of doing longer passages, and maby go fulltime cruising in the future (that could be in bout nr.2? [emoji28])

A wishlist could include
- center cockpit
- toiled near the keel. Only need 1
- possible to shover
- toiled facing forward. (Being able to lean 1 way, independent of tack
- probably going to need minimum 3 cabins

The location must be in Europe.
And budget up to 40k
I see myself as a handy man, and is prepered for some boatwork. But i dont need 1 year of work before i can go sailing...

Does any of you have a suggestion on type of boat?

And i appologise if i place this thread in the wrong place, im new to the forum [emoji4]
Fl1ppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 14:14   #2

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30
Re: Help finding the right boat

A few questions:
1) What is "mini 0"?
2) Does the wife like sailing? Very important!!!

3) What is "toiled near the keel"? Do you mean "toilet"? In English that is "head".
4) "40K" is that euros?

I think you are looking for a boat minimum of 14m long in order to have center cockpit and 3 cabins.
I think 40K (either euros or $) is not nearly enough to buy a such a boat even if it did need a lot of work. To get a boat with all your wishlist that needs just a bit of work, I think you are looking at minimum of 150-200K.
Good luck.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 14:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuku34 View Post
A few questions:
1) What is "mini 0"?

3) What is "toiled near the keel"? Do you mean "toilet"? In English that is "head".
4) "40K" is that euros?

I think you are looking for a boat minimum of 14m long in order to have center cockpit and 3 cabins.
I think 40K (either euros or $) is not nearly enough to buy a such a boat even if it did need a lot of work. To get a boat with all your wishlist that needs just a bit of work, I think you are looking at minimum of 150-200K.
Good luck.
Thx for the input [emoji4]
1) hehe, baby, 0year
2) shes interested, but not all in
3) toilet, head
4) good point. Euros

Wishlist is not a must at all. Just my thoughts of what i might need. I have really no idea of what i need [emoji28]

And ofcause, im afraid youre right 40k is probably not enough enough, but 200k is crazy [emoji28] in that case, i just need to get started with something cheaper and learn sailing, and uppgrade when i got more $$
Old 15-07-2022, 15:02   #4

With 3 kids on the boat I suspect one person will be single handed sailing and the other will be trying to manage the kids. Can you charter boats for a weekend or few days, and try this out before buying?
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 17:32   #5

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

You probably don't "need" as much boat as you think.
I'm guessing that from the ages of your kids that you and yours are younger and more agile than many on this forum, (me included).
Don't be swayed be being told that you need some huge boat and massive amounts of money and all the latest widgets and gizmos and other assorted contraptions/devices.
This vid might help to put things in a more realistic perspective of what can be done.
Old 16-07-2022, 01:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
With 3 kids on the boat I suspect one person will be single handed sailing and the other will be trying to manage the kids. Can you charter boats for a weekend or few days, and try this out before buying?
Yup, i could do that. But im sure i want a boat. Even though i might end up doing it singlehanded.
Old 16-07-2022, 01:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post

I'm guessing that from the ages of your kids that you and yours are younger and more agile than many on this forum, (me included).

Don't be swayed be being told that you need some huge boat and massive amounts of money and all the latest widgets and gizmos and other assorted contraptions/devices.

This vid might help to put things in a more realistic perspective of what can be done.

This. I loved the video! And you are absolutely right. If i lower expectations, and standard, it is probably doable.
The video. It just get me dreaming of whats possible. The thought of living cheap, and get to see the workd really appeals to me. And what a great childhood for the small ones [emoji4]
Old 16-07-2022, 15:02   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1ppy View Post
Yup, i could do that. But im sure i want a boat. Even though i might end up doing it singlehanded.
Am I understanding correctly that you will desert your wife and children to go sailing? Really? Do you have a compromise position? If she is to enjoy sailing, you should really try to make it fun for your wife and family, which would involve your involvement in child care, so that she could enjoy the sailing.

Ann
Old 16-07-2022, 15:09   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help finding the right boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Am I understanding correctly that you will desert your wife and children to go sailing? Really? Do you have a compromise position? If she is to enjoy sailing, you should really try to make it fun for your wife and family, which would involve your involvement in child care, so that she could enjoy the sailing.

Ann
I think he means while the wife tends the kids below, nothing about abandonment

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2022, 21:08   #10

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

Quote:

FANTASTIC, PERFECT recommendation!
GafferMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2022, 23:07   #11

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Thanks for posting this video. One of the very best..... also helps that I like wooden boats too. This is my current boat. Can't figure out changing my profile or whatever you call it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220603_164749.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	261106  
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 05:38   #12

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I worked for two companies in Norway. My boss in Bergen had a half dozen boats from a pram to a 60 meter motor yacht. Norwegian are born in boats so I understand your dream. Things are expensive in Norway. Save your money, continue adding to your education and skills. Find a small day boat and get more experience. You are responsible for the safety of your children and your wife.
This responsibility and not your dreams, comes first. You are the captain.
Norwegians are incredibly generous people. You might find an older couple who can offer you a way to own a safe vessel. Save your money. Take your time. Make friends with more experienced owners and get more experience maintaining and repairing boats. With limited funds, you must have a wide range of skills. Don’t be in a rush to own a boat and be certain any vessel is large enough, strong and seaworthy enough to protect your crew.
Captain Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 12:54   #13

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuku34 View Post
A few questions:
1) What is "mini 0"?

4) "40K" is that euros?

Good luck.
Whoa! A good used boat having all OP asked for, and what he needs but didn't ask for, can easily be bought for less than 100K. This will be a 1980 era well constructed fiberglass boat, some equipment to be upgraded over a few years as budget allows. Many available on our side of the pond, maybe less so in Norway however.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 13:28   #14

If you compromise on the center cockpit requirement, you can easily find a good 40 foot boat from 2004 for less than 100k euro, Bavaria, Benetau or Hanse. If you are in Norway then Sweden would be a good place to look for one. http://www.batagent.se/
There also exists a Bavaria 40 from 1998 with center cockpit, but I haven't seen one ever. ( the year and number might be slightly wrong )
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 16:12   #15

I’ve been where you are, I think…. wanting adventure, some zeal in your life, albeit calmly & safely with a full family as a compliment.

~ WoW! ~

that is a LOT to ask for….
and very little experience at sea.

In answer, I’d ask you to scale back, and build your dream in baby steps. A smaller (lake boat) to start, where the waters are not so potentially overwhelming, especially to a wife “not all the way in”. Regardless, a smaller boat where you can learn, go out by yourself, or with a sailing buddy. And as money gets bigger along with the kids, start making “the dream” a part of all of their lives, with small weekend excursions.
Costs will be (greatly) reduced with a smaller boat…. and a BIGGER family. Keep pumping the dream, and learning what a good boat should be (in general)(and for you).
10 years from now, you will be quite experienced and adept at assessing ANY potential dream boat, while maximizing the dollars that go into such a purchase.

I would recommend you stay in the 25 feet and under range, keeping everyone else off the boat, until you become masterful. Shoot for a Captain’s license/ log your hours while you’re at it. Become competent at selection, understanding build quality, keys to great designs, sail plans, single-hand sailing, how insurance does (and doesn’t) work, and again, becoming experienced in all aspects. GET ON OTHER PEOPLES BOATS! *Usually free, just sayin’!! And if it isn’t…. Welcome to sailing. Nothing will keep you more real than your pocketbook.

I would research intensely, 1980’s fiberglass boats under 25 feet (the cheaper the better), and find 3 designs you like. Then buy one.
Sail. Fail. And sail some more…

*You’re never going to find the holy grail. After MY obligatory 10 years of searching, you’ll inderstand WAY more about why you can’t. It really and truly is, a series of tradeoffs.

Keel types; Hull types; Sail plan; Accomodations; Safety; Sea kindliness; Costs.

cheap boat/ start learning.

The part I like best so far, is discovering how they fail, and
vis-à-vis…. How they are BUILT.

Your competence is worth more than any boat will ever be.

[emoji1360]
B
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat