Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2024, 09:32   #1

Help finding 50’ cruiser/racer without sail drive

I thought I would enlist the help of the community in finding models of 50 foot +- sailboats that would be considered cruiser racers without sail drives. Model years not important. An accessible engine room would also be a plus.

Anything like that out there?

Regards,
dm567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 12:40   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Help finding 50’ cruiser/racer without sail drive

Try searching Yachtworld. What is your budget?
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 12:48   #3

Boat: Oyster 55

I assume you have access to Yacht World, Sailing Anarchy and Boat Trader?
You can get on Yacht World and limit your search to what you are looking for and being able to limit your search to your specific geographical area. Just be patient with YW because sometimes it gets a little confused
I would think there would be a lot of boats to choose from.
Also I would think there are a lot of readers on this website that may know boats with your needs in mind.
After about 50 years of racing I would suggest taking a look at some older Swans. Having owned a Mark II 44 and sailed on several 46's you could not ask for a more seakindly boat that is a real pleasure to sail in the ocean especially in a breeze. Also the 47, a little older but still a great boat. They are not necessarily a light air boat (The 44 is better in the light stuff) being on the heavy side. You can also get a Swan 53 at "good" prices today. these boats are also not shallow water boats but fine for the Caribbean. Even the Bahamas but with a little planning will keep you out of trouble. I have sailed all over the Bahamas with a 7'4" draft. If you are wanting complete freedom in shallow water buy a cat. They definitely have their advantages.
If you are looking for newer boats then the sky(checkbook) is the limit.
Wishing you the best.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 12:55   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

50' is big, and really narrows the field. What boat do you have now? Unless it is 40' you may find that it is extraordinarily difficult to get insurance for a 50' boat. Take a look at Yachtworld, it's a tiny market.

In 40'+ look at Catalina, Sabre, Tartan before around 2001 or so, and early J/130.
Old 13-06-2024, 13:40   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@dm567:

We, too wanted a good sailing boat and no sail drive. Like trying to find hen's teeth. And, we didn't require a racer-cruiser, just a boat good in light airs, with not too big sheeting loads. In our case, it took 3 yrs. of looking, and what we ended up with was a one-off. We were able to find a broker who understood well what we wanted, a former circumnavigator. In our case, he didn't find what we wanted, but he did try. Brokers are a very mixed bag, ranging from knowledgeable to those who lie, and include the guy who said to us, "No boat meets your criteria; get out of here! Don't waste my time." We kept on with our criteria, anyway, but I think grapevine among people who understand what you want may prove to be your best bet. People tend to hang onto such boats, too.

It might be too small for your needs, but the sort of boats we wound up looking at were Van de Stadt (47') Samoas in aluminum or western red cedar (and really tall masts), and other one offs, built either in Australia or NZ, made by someone with a decent reputation. The latter can be hard to find, you have to schmooze with owners who've had a boat built by *whoever* recently, to learn what idiosyncracies to expect. We bought this boat from a shipwright and his wife, who built it together after they were experienced cruisers--and we're still friends.

We did write up a list of what we wanted and did not, so we could easily share it with brokers. If you have done so, and are willing to share it, it might help someone think of a boat near them that could meet your needs.

Ann
Old 13-06-2024, 15:29   #6

Based on your comments:
1. Yes I have access to yachtworld, etc. I was just starting a conversation hoping to get some advice.
2. 46 to 56 would be a good range.
3. Budget. Up to 500,000 depending on the boat. Preferably much lower for an older boat.
4. I currently have a Farr 50 pilothouse in San Francisco and love it. It meets all my requirements such as a drive shaft and engine access ability. Could be a bit better in light air. I would like something a bit faster. I want a second boat to keep in some warm area such as Hawaii or Fiji?
Old 15-06-2024, 11:13   #7

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Have you looked at the French Aluminum boats? Ovni, Garcia, etc.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2024, 18:23   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I think a Santa Cruz 52 just went on the market.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2024, 18:45   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm567 View Post
I thought I would enlist the help of the community in finding models of 50 foot +- sailboats that would be considered cruiser racers without sail drives. Model years not important. An accessible engine room would also be a plus.

Anything like that out there?

Regards,
My boat, ROXY.
58 foot Camper & Nicholson 58 ketch
David Walters Yachts

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1984-camper-$-nicholsons-58-9168374/

Currently in Annapolis area.
Roxy is a fast and capable blue water cruiser. 7.5 days from Hampton, Va to Virgin Gorda, 1500 miles. We regularly post 8-10 knots island hopping in the eastern Caribbean. We just delivered to Liberty Marina after 8 years live aboard in the windwards & Leewards. BTW Roxy now qualifies for entry in the Antigua classics.

Inconel fuel and water tanks. 380 gallons diesel, 280 water. Watermaker.

Huge LiFePo batteries, 980 watts solar.

Walk-in engine room.

North 3DI main and jib, AS spinnaker, code zero, mizzen staysail, Quantom storm cutter staysail. High aspect maim, mast80 feet. Others sails.

Many extras, spares, modern upgrades.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2024, 10:26   #10

Santa Cruz 52 meets the requirements.

Camper & Nicholson 58 ketch is beautiful and also meets the requirements but it’s a ketch. I owned a ketch and they are great, but I want a simple sloop merely for simplicity.

French aluminum boats also inter-sting in the running but which ones have a direct drive.
Old 16-06-2024, 11:00   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm567 View Post
Santa Cruz 52 meets the requirements.

Camper & Nicholson 58 ketch is beautiful and also meets the requirements but it’s a ketch. I owned a ketch and they are great, but I want a simple sloop merely for simplicity.

French aluminum boats also inter-sting in the running but which ones have a direct drive.
Roxy is so simple it can be single handed. Jib, staysail and main are all managed totally from the cockpit. The mizzen, roller in mast, is easy for one person only to run. Once out, it is trimmed from the cockpit. The autopilot is crew #3 ind always follows instructions.

If you are in the Annapolis area you should take a look.
Old 16-06-2024, 13:44   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The normal Allures are fitted with saildrives, but the Exploration Series has a shaft drive. But, we don't know if aluminum boats are what the OP is interested in. He did clearly state "racer-cruiser", not cruiser-racer, and that made me think that performance is his higher criterion.

Ann
Old 16-06-2024, 16:57   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Roxy has a Hundested infinitely variable transmission adjusted from the cockpit under way. Set the prop pitch as best fits the load, sea state, wind, speed from motoring to motor-sailing to tight maneuvering. 24 inch 3-blade. Engine rpm 400-900 with 2:1 reduction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3862.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	291045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4303.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	291046  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3861.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	291047   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4301.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	291048  

Old 21-06-2024, 09:11   #14

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Cruiser/racer, how about a 'family' Porche or a Ferrari camper? Cruiser and racer are mutually exclusive. A racer focuses on light weight for speed, a cruiser needs more weight for durability, sea-kindliness and load carrying. A racer wants high form stability and high aspect sails to maximize drive and has a full crew to manage them. A cruiser wants the boat to sail well on an autopilot and a manageable sail-plan for a short handed crew. When you try to mix these to you gat slow racers that are still uncomfortable and hard to manage. Just my little rant! I believe the more specific the design criteria behind a boat are the better the boat will be.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 09:27   #15

Boat: Beneteau first 47.7

I have a Beneteau first 47.7 Rs - tall mast, long keel. she's strong, fast, comfortable, and way below your budget...
Pdemajo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, race, racer, sail