Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 10:32   #16

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
I can't believe the nerve.

I can. You'd be amazed how many people think that just because something is available on the web, they can copy and post it.

My guess is -- correct me if I'm wrong; I haven't gone to look -- that article is on the website of the magazine that originally published it. (CW, if I remember rightly.)

I assume the mag buys first serial rights and maybe pays a premium for web posting but the copyright remains with the authors. That's pretty much standard practice, but I have never worked with any sailing mags, so I could be wrong. Maybe sailing mags buy the copyright or perpetual web rights or something.

Either way, however, it's pretty unlikely that the boat dealers have any legal right to post the piece. They either don't know that or they don't care.

I have a colleague who found his stuff was being pirated by a newspaper chain in Indonesia or some such place. He sent them a bill and, wonder of wonders, they paid. And then they asked him for more.

They were leaving his byline on, however, which is how he found them.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 14:40   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
They owe you money. Send 'em a bill.
I would love to contact them but can't see any way to do it?

Can anyone see any contact info anywhere for the webmaster or owner of the website??

I did a quick search and did not find anything current. There is some information from 2007 suggesting that the owner is in India and there is a yahoo e-mail address which is not longer active.

Beth only sells first serial print rights, and only very very rarely gives any electronic rights exactly because once the thing is electronic it gets away from you.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 15:14   #18

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
I would love to contact them but can't see any way to do it?

Can anyone see any contact info anywhere for the webmaster or owner of the website??

I did a quick search and did not find anything current. There is some information from 2007 suggesting that the owner is in India and there is a yahoo e-mail address which is not longer active.

Beth only sells first serial print rights, and only very very rarely gives any electronic rights exactly because once the thing is electronic it gets away from you.
Can't get you the owner's name, but this might be of value:

www.boat-dealers.us - Boat-dealers

The server is located in Columbus, OH. From the IP, you can do a search and find out the owner.

Good luck.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 15:15   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Evan;

Look up the site at register.com, and contact the owner of the webpage.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 15:29   #20

Boat: Vagabond 42
Heavy weather strategy for ketch

I'm with Jack Tar. We sail a Vagabond with an inner foresail. In heavy weather we put the genoa away and sail with the small heavy inner foresail and a reefed mizzen. This arrangement has done great in 50+ knot winds with us still making way to weather. Vagabond is a good bit heaver than your Pierson.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 16:10   #21

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
I'll go with a staysail and reefed main, tuck in the center of effort. Anyway my easiest sails to drop are the ends, roller genoa and mizzen. If later on it gets real snotty, I don't have to risk myself or crew to reduce further, second reef main and reef staysail. Gets worse, finish the main... but then I hear on these forums that my boat doesn't sail, soI guess I'll just have another Obsidean.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 16:41   #22
cruiser

I'm with norv on this. Unless I was driving downwind.
Boats are like women (Duh) they all have their peculiar likes and dislikes.
They are all individuals and it's up to us to figure their genetic proclivities out.
I can do it with any boat, in time. I am still working on my wife.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 16:43   #23

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
That's quite annoying . . . that's an article we wrote that those guys have stolen and even removed our names from, although they left our boat name in it.
If you wrote the article you own the copyright, unless you assigned it to a publisher. In which case the publisher has a case. This is copyright violation and is usually a civil (not criminal) matter. But unless you can show financial loss, the best you can realistically hope for is that it is taken down in the case of the Web, or withdrawn in the case of print. It's bad enough to steal someone's work and put your name on it but to imprint it with your copyright notice is just going way too far. Have an attorney write them a letter demanding correction and threatening action. Thieving bastards!
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 20:30   #24

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Well, it could be criminal if there was the requisite mens rea (criminal intent). But even in a civil action, treble damages for infringement are available in certain situations (e.g. against a repeat offender). You can also collect statutory damages of up to 30K per infringed work without having to prove that you suffered any monetary loss.

You should talk to an attorney.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:32   #25

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
When I was the co-owner of a small Canadian music magazine, we caught one of our contributors ripping off another, better-known music writer and settled out of court for a tidy sum, as the weasel in question had a rich pappy.

It's always worth looking for a rich pappy.

Also, Mr. Evan, you have a reasonably high profile in your rather small field of "cruisers who are regularly published". That alone has gone to be worth something, just as if our friend Mr. Perry saw a Chinese-built yacht that looked remarkably like one of his own designs. His fame in the yacht design community would be a positive here.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:40   #26

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
I can. You'd be amazed how many people think that just because something is available on the web, they can copy and post it.

My guess is -- correct me if I'm wrong; I haven't gone to look -- that article is on the website of the magazine that originally published it. (CW, if I remember rightly.)

I assume the mag buys first serial rights and maybe pays a premium for web posting but the copyright remains with the authors. That's pretty much standard practice, but I have never worked with any sailing mags, so I could be wrong. Maybe sailing mags buy the copyright or perpetual web rights or something.

Either way, however, it's pretty unlikely that the boat dealers have any legal right to post the piece. They either don't know that or they don't care.

I have a colleague who found his stuff was being pirated by a newspaper chain in Indonesia or some such place. He sent them a bill and, wonder of wonders, they paid. And then they asked him for more.

They were leaving his byline on, however, which is how he found them.

Connemara
We have been freelance writers for a half dozen boating publications for over 15 years. It depends on your agreement, but for the most part, the magazine has the first right of publication. After they publish, you can pretty much do whatever you want with it, as long as you have not signed an exclusive. We have had several other publications come back to us and ask to publish an article that was in another publication earlier. we usually do a little re-write for the second or even third publication. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:53   #27

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Chuck: I don't write (yet) for sailing mags, but have been a freelance magazine/newspaper/Web writer for nearly two decades. You describe exactly the process that I am familiar with. Indeed, most people who want to reprint something contact the original mag and a reputable publication will pass them on to you, thus adding to your income.

This thread is drifting, for which I apologize.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:23   #28
cruiser

There are a lot of boats out there that have my name pinned on them but they are not my designs.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:27   #29

Boat: Westsail 32
It's not unusual for the publisher to ask the author to assign copyright; the copyright assignment is usually just a matter of signing a form. However, once the author has assigned copyright he no longer owns it; the assignee does, so be careful about giving permission to use something you may no longer own. Same goes for "rewriting" an article owned by another: if you own it do what you like (consistent with your agreement with the first publisher), but if you don't, even a rewrite of the very article you originally wrote could be dangerous. To my mind, plagiarism is a more grevious sin than bank robbery---one can return someone's money, but one can never return someone's creation.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:20   #30

Boat: Bristol 38.8
That's right, Bloodhound, but even if you've assigned the copyright you may still have "droights morale" under the Berne Convention in most EU countries and perhaps Canada. (Even though the U.S. acceeded to the Berne Convention, it sidestepped the issue of droights morale, which have never been recognized in the U.S.).

One such right is attribution. Even the owner of the copyright cannot claim that someone other than the author created the work. Another is defacement, so that even the copyright owner can't paint a mustache on a copyrighted image created by someone else, unless the owner can show that it was intended as a parody.

Once again, Mr. Starzinger should call a lawyer.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch, weather