Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 06:41   #196

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Heavy sailboats are slower and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Yes, that was the point of my first post, when Bill O was commenting on his 49’ boat sailing faster than daysailers.

Well our old school design is a double ender w/a 40' lwl and much heavier. The Hanse 415 has a 37.4' lwl, is under 20K# dry, d/l 167 and if carrying full fuel/water ~126 gal.. In 10-12kts we were sailing in, it should have theoretically walked away from us.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:02   #197

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Well our old school design is a double ender w/a 40' lwl and much heavier. The Hanse 415 has a 37.4' lwl, is under 20K# dry, d/l 167 and if carrying full fuel/water ~126 gal.. In 10-12kts we were sailing in, it should have theoretically walked away from us.

Bill O.

Skill in sail trim and helming can make an enormous difference. It's not all the boat.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:54   #198

If by stable you mean a soft and comfortable ride, that is different than speed.
Yes, a heavy boat is slower to rise to a wave, as it tends to drive through waves.
A lighter boat may tend to jump over the waves and have a quicker motion.
The heavy boat might also be wetter, being slow to rise to a wave may mean it gets lots of water on deck.
The lighter boat jumps over the wave and probably gets more spray, though no heavy water filling the cockpit.
boats built for comfort have more of a 'wine glass section' mid-ships.
Lighter boats built for speed, primarily surfing off the wind, tend to have flatter bottoms and can pound over the waves with teeth chattering jolts.
And, of course the qualifier, there are many variations in between.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 18:27   #199

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Skill in sail trim and helming can make an enormous difference. It's not all the boat.
Yep, one need but consider one-design racing fleets, where the boats are all the same, yet in every regatta, there will be a big difference in speed between the winner and the DFL boat... a BIG difference!

I'm always amused by folks who proudly say that they passed such and such a boat who shoulda been faster. Unless you have knowledge of the state of their sails, sail trim, bottom fairness and foulness and most importantly, how hard they were trying to beat you... well, not much is proven.

For example, many years ago I had the thrill of overtaking Windward Passage, a legendary race boat, whilst sailing in SF bay in my Yankee 30. I would have been even more thrilled if they hadn't been hove to, waiting for the start of a race! Didn't stop me from bragging about the feat, though!

Get the idea?

Jim
Old 10-09-2019, 20:02   #200

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yep, one need but consider one-design racing fleets, where the boats are all the same, yet in every regatta, there will be a big difference in speed between the winner and the DFL boat... a BIG difference!

I'm always amused by folks who proudly say that they passed such and such a boat who shoulda been faster. Unless you have knowledge of the state of their sails, sail trim, bottom fairness and foulness and most importantly, how hard they were trying to beat you... well, not much is proven.

For example, many years ago I had the thrill of overtaking Windward Passage, a legendary race boat, whilst sailing in SF bay in my Yankee 30. I would have been even more thrilled if they hadn't been hove to, waiting for the start of a race! Didn't stop me from bragging about the feat, though!

Get the idea?

Jim
Killjoy. My few pleasures in life and now they are all cast in doubt.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 20:23   #201

Fantastic, would love to have been onboard.
Gpser44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:06   #202

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Get the idea?

Jim
Jim,
Hear what you are saying about the condition of the boat matters, but it seems like you've placed yourself in the same camp as the others that are amused by passing other boats.

Maybe now you don't self amuse, but would be hard to believe that in your almost race/cruiser boat that if you see a boat on the horizon (going your way) you don't try to catch/pass them. There isn't that much going on out there, so what else is there to do??

Ann, what's the real story here??!

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat