Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2021, 23:12   #16

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
Re: Haul up dinghy with halyard

Thanks, for your kind comments.

The key on controlling the tender in windy days is the bow line needs to have a line on it run forward to the bow block mounted high on the pulpit (my block hangs loose with a Dyneema long shackle, so it can flip over the top of the pulpit once the dinghy is on board) and run in back to the mast and I tie it off at a set predetermined mark, before I winch the dingy up and over the safety line. This is important so the tender and the outboard when it falls back to the cradle end does not hit the spinnaker pole at the mast, this way it can only fall back to the end of the cradle stops. See photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
Hi kryg.
I like your cradle, seems to work well and secure.
I also like your idea of a block somewhere on the bow connecting to the painter. I manually pull the dingy but sometimes it gets away from me so I may do that crosswise and block it fast and then I may have some leverage to pull it over the rail, especially on breezy days.
Also the cradle allows the forward hatch to open, now for me is only a fraction of an inch, and hardly any light. Another great feature.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9311.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	250025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Block position.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	250026  

kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 00:51   #17

Boat: Tayana 42, sloop, 42

Great recommendation.
Your dingy looks really sturdy, how do you like the aluminum construction?
Thanks,
Nicholas
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 02:06   #18

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

I will never ever own an inflatable again, this dingy is very stable does not deflate It will out last my and my grandsons' lifetime. Just excellent. It's an Ocean Craft build in Queensland! They cost about 5.5 AUD for 2.9 meters. I have no interest or benefit in recommending their product, it is the same company that supplied SV Delos tender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
Great recommendation.
Your dingy looks really sturdy, how do you like the aluminum construction?
Thanks,
Nicholas
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 08:59   #19
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
MJH, how do you run the spinnaker halyard past the bowed jumper struts on your Tayana 42? I use the staysail halyard to lift the dinghy onto the foredeck to avoid pulling the spin halyard over the jumper strut.
I never tried that approach but with my furling staysail I would have to unfurl and drop the sail first...that doesn't appeal to me.

Using the windlass there is only the one lifting portion of the spinnaker line that may come in contact with the jumper strut when lifting my 62 pound inflatable. For that little weight for that short period of time swinging over the lifelines, I don't worry about it.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 09:11   #20

Boat: Pearson 34-2

I posted a similar question here about hoisting our Portland Pudgy on our Pearson 34-2. It was recommended to me that I use a 4:1 purchase off the halyard instead of winching it up. That did work much better! So one more vote for the block and tackle!
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 10:12   #21

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

I would haul my Walker Bay dinghies me up with my jib halyard on my ericson 32.

I had no problems.
Old 27-12-2021, 07:28   #22

Boat: Taswell 43

We use a spinaker halyard to hoist our 3.2mRIB and 15hp Yamaha up and onto the mounted cradle on our foredeck. Works well. to make the job a little easier, over 10 years ago we bought-and use regularly- a 1/2" Milwaukee angle drill(28v battery) w/ Winchbit installed. It allows the Admiral to take me up the mast, raises the dink, works the primaries, and furles both the headsail and/or the M/S under load....and it will drill holes when needed!!! We carry 3 batteries(1 installed and 2 spare), and have had only 2 fail in the years we've been using it. A great tool when you don't have electric winches.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 15:45   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoret View Post
Hi there,
Probably a stupid question. But, would there be a problem if I was to haul my inflatable dinghy up on to the foredeck using the winch and spinnaker halyard or Jib halyard. The dinghy ways 34 kg, and would be hauled from ground level. The boat is a 25 ft trailer sailer.
I'm worried about the amount of stress placed on the mast and the exit blocks in the mast. The dinghy is just a bit too big and cumbersome to manhandle
Thanks in advance, hoping to avoid costly accident.
I like using a Spinnaker Halyard and a Whisker Pole. This holds the dinghy away from the boat until the dinghy is above the life line. Then wing the dingy in as you lower it to the deck. Really easy doing it single handed.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 18:34   #24

Boat: Hunter 466

use our spinnaker halyard all the time. And out AB is quite heavy. very quick. I just make sure that when hoisting to deck level I push it away from the rub rail and lifelines so it doesn't break anything.
patmvcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 08:06   #25

Boat: Summer Twins 25

[QUOTE

Out of interest after having experienced 3 failed inflatables

No question is stupid, not asking one, could be.[/QUOTE]

How have you managed 3 failed inflatables?
My inflatable must 30 or 40 years old, not even got a patch on it, although showing signs of ware and tear. I did have a Honwave with a solid transom but found it to heavy to manhandle so sold it, and went back to the old one.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 09:21   #26

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
[QUOTE

Out of interest after having experienced 3 failed inflatables

No question is stupid, not asking one, could be.
How have you managed 3 failed inflatables?
My inflatable must 30 or 40 years old, not even got a patch on it, although showing signs of ware and tear. I did have a Honwave with a solid transom but found it to heavy to manhandle so sold it, and went back to the old one.[/QUOTE]

I went through dinghies like candy until I bought a Hypalon one.

The glue in the PVC dinghies are salt water soluble.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, halyard