Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2021, 09:37   #16

Boat: Leopard 39
Re: Haul out specific questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Never change the oil after you haul the vessel, you need a few hours on the new oil to circulate within a hot engine........
Could you elaborate on this? I typically change oil with the boat in the water and do run the engines up to temperature to make the pump out easier. But I have also changed the oil while in the yard. Are you saying that if the boat is going to remain on the hard for a long period that changing the oil without running the engine afterwards, the new oil won't have a chance to circulate throughout the engine and therefore rust and condensation protection will not be as good?
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 10:25   #17

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Haul out specific questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Nice boat!

Funny how preference and opinion will govern, eh?

While I was reading, I thought, "well, the recommendation is oil change every 50 hours, so might as well do it while on the hard..."

I suppose the owner would also know when the last oil change was, so depending on how long ago that last filter/oil change was - that would provide the best reference, I suppose.

That said, as the boat will be sitting on the hard for a time, I would change the oil and filters just before splashing if it were me.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77

Oh yeah - and disconnect the batteries.

See, I looked at the 40 hours and thought....what a waste, that’s 210 hours of life left on the oil.

But it depends on the engine manufacturers service interval.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
haul out