Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 10:54   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 53" Motor Sailor
Haul out options, south east coast

We are in need of a yard on the south east coast to haul out to do some maintenance work and also for storage. Does anyone have any good experience and/or recommendations for a reasonably priced yard that can handle a 53' Gulfstar motor sailor and will let you do some of your own work?
Tvcmluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:06   #2

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig
Re: Haul out options, south east coast

I assume you mean southeast coast of US? I'm sure Fort Lauderdale has no shortage of yards with the capacity you need.
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:10   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53" Motor Sailor

Yes I was referring to the southeast of the United States. We have looked in Fort Lauderdale but
A: it's a very expensive
B: it's right in some of the worst hurricane zone and a lot of yards discourage storage and actually charge you more the longer you're there.

We had heard that there were places in the Carolinas that were more suited to what we're looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Tvcmluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:15   #4

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

These guys are a bit south of Savannah but appear to allow DIY. They also have their haul and storage rates posted:

Welcome
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:29   #5

Boat: Prout 46

Oasis Marine in St Augustine, FL. Great yard. Within walking distance of historic St Augustine. I'd stay away from St Augustine Marine Center which is next door. Bad experience there.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:52   #6

Boat: Pearson, 28-1

Bock Marine is a great option with great rates, DIY welcome, good hurricane protection and skilled services at the yard and in the area:

Bock Marine

I was there for a 4 year refit and will return whenever in that general area or passing through.

I'm up on the Chesapeake now and there are lots of yards here that should fit the bill though they are typically a little more expensive and restricted than Bock from what I've seen, and with a shorter working season climate wise. If you are interested in coming this far North you'll find a wealth of options.
JonathanSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:51   #7

Boat: 45' Plywood Ketch, Homebuilt

I suggest before committing yourself to a DIY yard, you call and ask the following basic questions:

1. Can I stay aboard my boat while it is hauled out?
2. What are the fees for staying aboard while the boat is on the hard?
3. Do prices change based on the time the boat is on the hard?
4. Can I do my own bottom work with my own bottom paint?

There are obviously additional pertinent questions to be asked, but I found if I didn't care for the answers to these four, I needed to continue looking for another yard.

So far I MAY have found one marina in Ft. Pierce (Riverside Marina) that appears to answer favorably to these questions, but their rates aren't posted. And again, the marina is in Florida, but Hurricane Sandy chose NJ instead. You might consider that many hurricanes seem to start on the western part of the gulf, so if you haul early in the season, your odds may be better for avoiding any catastrophic weather conditions. However, there are no absolutes.

Please post where you eventually decide to go. Good luck!
SVJennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:31   #8

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post
These guys are a bit south of Savannah but appear to allow DIY. They also have their haul and storage rates posted:
Welcome
I have hauled out at St. Mary's Boat services on two separate occasions. In fact I was just there In December to have the hull cleaned and painted and some through hulls replaced.
It is a good D I Y yard with very friendly and helpful people. They have contractors on site to do the job or they will assist you in doing your task.
The yard owner is Rocky Smith. Tell Rocky that Al from Finlandia sent you. Maybe he'll give me a discount next time.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:07   #9

Cape Fear Boat Works on the Cape Fear River near Wilmington, NC is very protected. They are reasonable, friendly, and easy to work with. You can do some or all of your own work. You can stay on your boat while on the hill. An excellent tech (diesel, gas, or outboard) who subcontracts there is Rick Kolfsman.
johnleeknot2bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:20   #10

Deltaville yacht center in Deltaville Va is a great marina that will allow you to do all your own work and stay on your boat while it's on the hard.
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:28   #11

Boat: Downeaster 38

I've been at Murrell Marine in Lantana, Florida (just below West Palm Beach) for years. It's a laid back little local yard, one of the last left here in the South East. For apparent EPA reasons we can't do our own bottom work as they used HEPA filters on all their sanders but otherwise you're free to do all your own work. We have a canvas guy, a welder, a really cracker jack "engineer" who seems to be able to do anything on any size boat, two really good boat carpenters who no one can tell apart, an ABYC certified marine electrician and a couple painters and miscellaneous people. I think the rates are reasonable but like I said, I've been here for years. I'm just about to haul out for a month or two refit and would recommend the place. The surrounding area is also laid back small town-ish with good access to whatever you need.
Never seen anyone live onboard on the hard, however.
Good luck
Rick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:00   #12

Boat: Sampson C-Strutter 60'

I'm in St. Augustine Marine Center and have had 2 years of good experience here.

Kashmir Cat, sorry you had a bad one here. I hope everything got cleared up.
kenamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:23   #13

Boat: Hunter 326

Here's a yard in Charleston SC, they're up the Wando River a bit off the beaten path but great people. www.charlestoncityboatyard.com
Kjretlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:46   #14

Boat: Lagoon 410

Tiger Point Marina & Boat Works, located at Fernandina Beach, FL is a great place. I have hauled there twice. Its just south of the St. Mary's River with easy access and no bridges. Prices on on their web site, at "tigerpointmarina@comcast.net"
lagoon410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 11:30   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Williams View Post
I've been at Murrell Marine in Lantana, Florida (just below West Palm Beach) for years. It's a laid back little local yard, one of the last left here in the South East. For apparent EPA reasons we can't do our own bottom work as they used HEPA filters on all their sanders but otherwise you're free to do all your own work. We have a canvas guy, a welder, a really cracker jack "engineer" who seems to be able to do anything on any size boat, two really good boat carpenters who no one can tell apart, an ABYC certified marine electrician and a couple painters and miscellaneous people. I think the rates are reasonable but like I said, I've been here for years. I'm just about to haul out for a month or two refit and would recommend the place. The surrounding area is also laid back small town-ish with good access to whatever you need.

Never seen anyone live onboard on the hard, however.

Good luck

Good overview Rick, that helps a lot of us. I visited the Loggerhead Lantana site and was pleased to discover this little gem of a marina right next door. I did. A quick walk thru and saw several little speciality shops all in a tight group shoulder to shoulder. Isn't this the old Lanatana Shipyard from the 80s, 90s? What's your view on the neighborhood after dark?
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, haul out