Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2016, 06:17   #1

Harken Electric Furler

In four years I have gone through 3 motors and I'm on my second unit. I have the largest of the three models on a beneteau 55 Oceanis. The unit fails constantly and it appears as if water enters the system from the top leaks through the unit ends up in the motor and the entire unit seizes. I though maybe I just had a lemon but a friend in a Seaward 42 has the exact same problem. I wondering if any one else has had this problem. I remember when Harken was quality. Sadly no more..... I'm on the verge of removing the unit and replacing it with a Reckmann unit I had a Reckmann on my last boat and never had a minutes problem with it. Any thoughts?
GGamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 06:58   #2

Boat: Little Harbor 58
Re: Harken Electric Furler

I have had the same problem with mine. I put it on the staysail which is pretty small in load so I know its not a problem there. They (Harken) stood up to the replacements and O-rings, but I have had to pay labor to reinstall. You would think it should stand up to the salt water and rain better. My Hood genoa furler, although hydraulic, has never had a problem in the ten years I've owned the boat. As far as I can tell, its not just the motor and water as it is the gear freezing up. Mine came with a little winch handle but it was useless when the system fails.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 07:03   #3

Boat: Tayana 37

Seems like a design flaw. Perhaps it's time to go back to manual systems feeding the control lines to electric winches in the cockpit?
tmcdonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 14:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightPlan View Post
I have had the same problem with mine. I put it on the staysail which is pretty small in load so I know its not a problem there. They (Harken) stood up to the replacements and O-rings, but I have had to pay labor to reinstall. You would think it should stand up to the salt water and rain better. My Hood genoa furler, although hydraulic, has never had a problem in the ten years I've owned the boat. As far as I can tell, its not just the motor and water as it is the gear freezing up. Mine came with a little winch handle but it was useless when the system fails.
Yes mine was the same! Using a large winch handle I was able to get it to turn. Then using a drill I was able to unfurl the sail to drop it to the deck. What a piece of crap!
GGamble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, furler, Harken