Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 06:39   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS
Re: Hanse 385 vs Jeanneau 379

I would agree that, much like buying a house, boat buying seems to have a significant emotional component to it. One obviously has a wish list of features but sometimes even that gets trumped by a boat that you really love.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:49   #17

Boat: Hanse 385

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Just an update..

I viewed the 379 here in Sydney over the weekend. Must say was very impressed. The fit and finish inside to me looks better than the Hanse 385, it just feels more open and connected to the outside with the bigger windows / port lights down to the side.

There's a few other things I liked about the 379 over the 385 as well. The forward cabin on the 385 is much lighter though and seems to be larger.

It's a tricky one to be sure. I've got a few months before I need to decide. I think both would be great fits for my needs. I just want to get the right boat for me.

Regards,
Simon
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:43   #18

Simon,

Its a great dilemma to have, as you say two good boats and time to choose. Perhaps you can get to sail them both, that has to be the best test at the end of the day its what you want it for.

Good luck.

Ill post some photos of mine on the water as soon as i get some.
markstansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 16:30   #19

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

Mark, I hope by now that you have taken delivery of your Hanse and are enjoying her fully. I've sailed my 2006 Hanse 370e for 8 seasons and can tell you she is truly a cruising boat with a turn of speed. I generally beat every other cruising boat up to 42 feet in distance races. The self tacking jib is perfect in those areas that generally have winds above 10-12K. But, opt for an upgraded sail... not the base self tacker.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 01:40   #20

Hi,

The boat is here and we are racing and cruising her. For racing we bought a Den 6 Elvestrom 105 genoa and we run it on adjustable tracks so we dont use rhe ST. Fo rtrhe main we use the FCL laminate performance sail.

I'm still working out the best way to sail her and how to get the best speed at each point of sail. I have a general purpose assymetric and just about to take delivery of a code 0.

Our winds are 6 to 12 knots
Old 27-10-2013, 15:54   #21

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

I like your choice of sails. Please let me know how well the E 105 works, especially in lighter air. Where are your adjustable tracks located? Coach top or side deck? Like you, we do a lot of sailing in 6-12K. When I first sailed my H 370e in 2006 not a lot was known about the standard self tacker. In fact, it was a poor sail, that only was effective in winds above 12K. So, initially, I added a 135, then a 155. I use my 155 (kevlar) instead of a Code O in 0-15K and my 135 above 15K, along with a laminated main. Haven't used my self tacker in years. What kind of races? Where? We do jib and main races weekly (usually 3-6 miles) and distance races (65-95 miles) several times a season, all on Lake Michigan, USA. We have been very successful on the distance races and use the weekly racing as teaching lessons.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 16:17   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Simon : I'm not really a fan of either of these boats but I recently stood under a Hanse in a cradle and found a couple of areas of the aft quarters of the bottom that I could flex by hand. Looking at the structure on the inside there seems to be large areas that are unsupported. The broker told me "Glass hulls are designed to flex".

Also be aware that both these boats have chrome plated brass ball valves that won't be safe after five years in salt water.

A competing broker said "think of it this way ... Bavaria = West Germany = Mercedes = BMW. .. Hanse = East Germany = Trabant".
Old 27-10-2013, 20:40   #23

Funny but out of date.

Trabbies were made when east germany was part of the soviet block, now they make Skodas which have become cheap VWs (and just as good).

Sure the Hanse is not the most rigid boat in the world, but its not the most expensive either.

I dont know where your dealer is from, but all the new Hanses have a pretty impressive frame supporting the glass.

Maybe Hanse = Skoda/vw Jenneau = renault/Ctroen, unless you go for double the price we wont get a porsche or Aston.

Turning to the sensible questions,

My tracks are on the coachroof because we have shrouds on the toe rail, which means we have to sheet inside for all headsails except the code 0 and asymmetrics.

Our racing is a mixture, we have non flying sail sunset pursuits on tuesdays, flying sail pursuit on thusday sunsets, and then at the week end we have a mixture of commodore cup (sausages and quadrahedrals), and longer offshore half day races.

Throw in a couple of regattas that combine both long and short, a short handed series for 2 crew or fewer, and some 3 day events, and we have a packed year.

We are still learning how to make the boat go fast, since she is new
Old 29-10-2013, 23:43   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
Hello all,

I'm trying to work out the pro's and con's between these two boats.

If anyone has any feedback between them that would be amazing.

One thing I was wondering though... The forward cabin on the 385 seems very big for a boat this size. Is it bigger than the 379? Is there any way to get info on things like forward cabin bed sizes?

Regards,
Simon
We delivered a Hanse 385 recently - a very nice yacht!

Halcyon Yacht Delivery - Hanse 385 - Hamble to Ipswich - YouTube

Pete
PeteTheDeliverySkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 02:31   #25

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteTheDeliverySkipper View Post
We delivered a Hanse 385 recently - a very nice yacht!

Halcyon Yacht Delivery - Hanse 385 - Hamble to Ipswich - YouTube

Pete
Erm, what you mean is: a very nice motorboat!

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 03:12   #26
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post

Erm, what you mean is: a very nice motorboat!

Onno
Looked like she was nicely under sail at one point

Dave

Tags
jeanneau