Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2011, 21:05   #1

Boat: 32' Custom by John Howie
Hans Christian Models

what's the difference between a 34 vs 34t or 36,38, etc... what does the T mean?
WoundedWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 21:13   #2

Re: Hans Christian question

The T means it has a different keel to the original being cut away at the back of the keel, making it a more responsive set up.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 22:19   #3

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

As the owner of a HC34T, I must take exception to your explanation. The T stands for Traditional, and describes the design. The 34T is definitely a full keel design, without a cutaway forefoot. In addition the rudder is protected by the keel extending underneath it, a true full keel with a 12" approximate bottom width, definitely not a streamlined entry, but sturdy.I think possibly you're confusing it with the later Christiana's. sp.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 22:46   #4

hey capnorv, I looked at pictures of two same year 33's, one was a T model, I was unable to detect a difference. can you point me at what to look at?
Old 15-04-2011, 23:39   #5

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

If those were on yachtworld I looked and I believe they are both T's. My recollection is the only small HC's with multiple designations are the 38's, I believe they were T, mark 2, and mark 3, possibly mark 4. The original Hans Christian was the 34/36. If you're looking at comparables to the 34, check out Union 36, they were the original Hans yard and stretched the 34 design along with the Hans 36 so they wouldn't have to pay Bob design royalties, scruples in business were...Fyi there is a Union 36 for $49000 in Kemeth sp. Texas to look at, if thats your area.
Old 16-04-2011, 01:22   #6

Re: Hans Christian Models

In the early 1980s a number of moulds where taken back to the factory and reworked these became known as the Telstar keels and were a huge improvement on the old traditional keel of these georgous Water boats">blue water boats. Sorry capnorv for hurting you feeling it was not and would never be my intention.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 08:34   #7

Thanks, I thought my post might sound a little strong, my feelings definitly were not hurt, if I have any. I forgot all about the Telstar series, good addition.
Old 16-04-2011, 08:45   #8

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

The "T" designation does stand for traditional, not Telestar. By traditional, they mean V-berth (or pullman) forward with head/shower just aft of the V-berth (I believe to port). The MKII versions had the head forward where the V-berth would be, and have a pullman berth just aft of the head and to port.

This picture might help:

Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 09:29   #9

hey Orv, Do you know how many of the true HC34's were made?
Old 16-04-2011, 11:38   #10

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
If those were on yachtworld I looked and I believe they are both T's. My recollection is the only small HC's with multiple designations are the 38's, I believe they were T, mark 2, and mark 3, possibly mark 4. The original Hans Christian was the 34/36. If you're looking at comparables to the 34, check out Union 36, they were the original Hans yard and stretched the 34 design along with the Hans 36 so they wouldn't have to pay Bob design royalties, scruples in business were...Fyi there is a Union 36 for $49000 in Kemeth sp. Texas to look at, if thats your area.
Here's a line drawing of a Lord Nelson 35.
It has all the same underwater features you're describing, but a much better rudder than the Union 36. as well.
There are other design niceties like decent tank access and removal without cutting up the floor.
We loved ours while offshore cruising.

Lord Nelson 35 Review : Bluewaterboats.org

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 11:50   #11

I've heard there were 14 made. Concerning the Lord Nelson's, the interiors are definitly prettier, but all areas including keel/fiberglass/woodwork seem to be less, like the CT34 not that thats bad, just different. The 2000# difference in weight has to come from somewhere. My water tanks are under the floor with 5" accessable inspection, cleaning ports and 14 gauge ss, why would you have to pull them out, and where are they located on a Lord Nelson, above instead of in the bilge? Why is a barn door rudder better than one protected from underneath. was your steering gear direct drive as well? It says the LN was based on the HC33, a totally different animal, as is the Union36, both just look close. Also only one of all of these were designed by Bob Perry, the HC34.
Old 16-04-2011, 12:17   #12
cruiser

Capnorv:
You have it correct.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 14:19   #13

THANKS BOB for the confirmation!
Old 16-04-2011, 22:31   #14

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
I've heard there were 14 made. Concerning the Lord Nelson's, the interiors are definitly prettier, but all areas including keel/fiberglass/woodwork seem to be less, like the CT34 not that thats bad, just different. The 2000# difference in weight has to come from somewhere. My water tanks are under the floor with 5" accessable inspection, cleaning ports and 14 gauge ss, why would you have to pull them out, and where are they located on a Lord Nelson, above instead of in the bilge? Why is a barn door rudder better than one protected from underneath. was your steering gear direct drive as well? It says the LN was based on the HC33, a totally different animal, as is the Union36, both just look close. Also only one of all of these were designed by Bob Perry, the HC34.

Ours was Grey Max, hull number 6.

I was told by the broker where we purchased the boat that the designers had been HC dealers.

They wanted to improve a few things with the HC 33 and got the HC guys upset.
Their dealership got yanked, so they decided to build their own.
Tommy Chen was the builder.
They stretched the design a little here and there, flattening the aft sections to reduce the tendency to hobby horse and giving a little more interior room.

All tanks could be removed if necessary for repair, replacement or access to hull.

The cabin sole panels came up, the table unbolted with four bolts and you could lift both water tanks out after removing a couple of hold down ss crossbeams.

The access hatches were about ten inches in diameter.

The diesel tank was under the aft berth and was also removable through the companionway door.

The engine/trans assembly was also removable through the companionway door without any drama or cutting.

The rudder (airfoil section, not barn door) is designed to be neutrally bouyant so it doesn't add helm while heeling, and is protected with a skeg.

See line drawing in previous post link.

The upper end of the rudder shaft has a flange with 6 bolts safety wired to hold it to the upper shaft and quadrant (standard cable steering to a wheel) for easy removal if necessary on the hard or in the water.

When the production stopped, Tommy Chen destroyed the molds rather than selling them to someone who would make a cheaper version.

This was done to preserve the quality image of the originals.

There are many other refinements we came to appreciate during the years we cruised with it.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 05:35   #15

Mr. Perry, looking back, are there any changes you might have done?