Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 11:24   #1

Boat: American Tug
Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus Owners?

FYI, I also posted this in "Meets & Greets"
Are there any Rasmus owners aboard the Forum? I am looking for opinions of the boat as I may be able to have one of my own in a few weeks and seek experienced owners' advice. I was about to buy a very fine Bayfield 32C, when the Halberg-Rassey Rasmus 35 sloop owned by a family friend became available. Thanks,
David in Northern Florida
dochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:30   #2
POH

Boat: Lagoon 420, Duncanson 29, Laser
Re: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus Owners?

They don't own it any more, but you should check out the Wind Traveler blog here: Windtraveler - they just sold their Rasmus and gave lots of detail about their ownership/life aboard.

While I've never emailed her, Brittany appears to be very active and might respond to you if you reach out to them.

Cheers
POH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:40   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

HR's are great boats, but it depends where is your primary use. If it will be substantially west coastal Florida, you know what depths are, and a full keel boat like a HR will be restricted in many areas. You're in the NE, which is not quite as restricted, but it is still an issue you need to consider.

If you're planning on true water sailing">blue water sailing, they rank up with the best.

In addition to the above link, you may also look at this blog, which have sold their HR, but go into great detail about its abilities.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:55   #4

Thanks, we live more east (Gainesville) and will be berthing in Fernandina Beach. The Rasmus series draws just over 4 foot, so keeping an eye on tide, current and wind in relation to both will be more important than on a boat with less draft. Many boats sit in the muck at low tide in this area even in their slips!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:08   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Celestialsailor has one and he has done some extensive work on his.........and fairly regular on CF, so I would be surprised if he doesn't spot this thread - but I mention just in case not!

His blog:-

Adventures of Joli' Elle

FWIW, the UK built version (Nab 35) was built by Reg Freeman Yachts - builder of me own Seadog 30 (the smaller / older sister? ). If mine anything to go by the Rasmus / Nab built like a brick outhouse .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 16:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochip View Post
FYI, I also posted this in "Meets & Greets"
Are there any Rasmus owners aboard the Forum? I am looking for opinions of the boat as I may be able to have one of my own in a few weeks and seek experienced owners' advice. I was about to buy a very fine Bayfield 32C, when the Halberg-Rassey Rasmus 35 sloop owned by a family friend became available. Thanks,
David in Northern Florida
I used to have one #333. Unfortunately sold it. Spent a lot of time cruising Bahamas and the keys. She is ideal for that with her shallow draft. The only drawback is the Volvo MD 21 engine, hard to get parts, but plenty of parts in Europe as it is actually a Peugot diesel.

PM me if you want further info. If you are not buying, let me know where I can find her.

Chris
Chris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:48   #7

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I shared an anchorage at Great Guana Cay in Abaco for several days with a nice Rasmus a while back. Very nice boat that didn't show her age at all.

If you buy the one you are looking at it's worth giving Roger Johansson at Free State Yachts a call. In addition to being the Midatlantic broker for HR, Roger has a long career in HR service. Another person you'll want to know is Bill Adams at United Yacht Group. No one in the US has more experience with HR teak decks. The HR Parts groups is great and can source nearly anything although sometimes shipping and duty can be quite dear. Finally, join the Yahoo mailing group for HR owners. Outstanding information there.

My 40 is a bit newer than the Rasmus, but please shout if I can help in any way. You'll find the factory and other owners are a tremendous resource. We all help each other.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:15   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 30 ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by POH
They don't own it any more, but you should check out the Wind Traveler blog here: Windtraveler - they just sold their Rasmus and gave lots of detail about their ownership/life aboard.

While I've never emailed her, Brittany appears to be very active and might respond to you if you reach out to them.

Cheers
This.

Brittany is quite active and responds to messages typically very quickly. I would definitely talk to her about their Rasmus. Her blog is pretty great for info too.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:52   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I'll write more later but I really like mine and it only draws 4' 3".
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 16:40   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Here are some links I have. They are of a good design. Moderate speed. Great care shown when put together. The interiors are very warm with lot's of wood. Mine was re-powered with a Westerbeke W46, which I rebuilt. A Yanmar 4JH would have been a better choice IMHO. The only thing I found necessary to change was the none opening ports. I changed out 5 of them to opening. Normally there are 5 or so of them on Yachts for sale but now I only see 2. So maybe the secret is out that you could still buy a Hallberg Rassy inexpensively.

Hallberg Rassy Rasmus Owners Blog

Hallberg-Rassy 35 - RASMUS

HR Rasmus Home

HR_Users_Group : HR_Users_Group
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 20:21   #11

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions.
The Rasmus deal fell apart.
But the good news is that the
Bayfield 32C was still available and the owners have accepted our offer. Survey, etc next week so if all goes well we will have a boat finally after three "near misses."
These forums have been a great help.
Old 19-10-2012, 04:00   #12

Dochip,

Can you PM me the info on the Rasmus deal that fell thru? Maybe it would work for me...

Thanks,

Chris
Old 19-10-2012, 06:01   #13

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker

Mine, #170, is awesome.
Here's a link to a gorgeous one that you can't have, as I believe it was sold last year, but still, the photos are great.
HALLBERG-RASSY HR 35 - RASMUS 1974 For Sale in Auckland
Anzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 06:08   #14

Anzo,

Thanks........awesome. I am sure you miss her.

Old 21-10-2012, 20:18   #15

I currently own number 707 and am stoked with it.

It has been re-powered with a yanmar 3ym30 which I just had to rebuild because of previous owners mistake but the actual boat is just awesome.

I live on board at the Royal Suva Yacht Club in Fiji and am sailing around here as often as time permits.......
Commodore RSYC is offline   Reply With Quote