Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2012, 00:50   #1

Halberg Rassy 43 Mk. 2, or Valiant 42

For a cruising couple with 10+ years experience on some long distance coastal trips, but no crossings. Forget the center cockpit vs. rear cockpit discussion, which boat would you rather have for a circumnavigation, the Halberg Rassy 43, Mark II, or the Valiant 42? Thank you
Island Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 03:26   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Halberg Rassy 43 Mk. 2, or Valiant 42

Since there's no discussion, I'd pick the HR. But then I think questions like this don't make sense. It's really a personal decision. I hope you don't base yours of how we vote.
Old 27-11-2012, 03:59   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I totally agree with Doodles. Both are great boats and will do a circumnavigation in style. But there are some differences. Whether they make any difference to you is your choice. Some are:

The Valiant's canoe stern makes it easier to add wind vane steering. But getting off and on a dinghy isn''t so easy.

The HR will have much more accomodation room below due to its square transom.

A cutter rig gives you more sail selection options in a blow. But for a circumnavigation you need a storm sail and jib for both.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 04:33   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Island Hopper.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 05:40   #5

Boat: Valiant 50

I faced a similar dilemma. Both great boats, hopefully one of them will make your heart sing sing when you get up close to it - and that will be the one.

Both will do the job admirably.

In the end, for us, the balance tipped in favor of the iconic Bob Perry design and against teak decks. You may love teak decks - and they are bloody gorgeous. And you may hate canoe sterns - an acquired taste and not the most efficient shape.

Let us know what you choose.
Old 27-11-2012, 06:53   #6

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Yes, both excellent boats. For me it would depend on the prioce, and on which one was in better condition and how each one was equipped.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 07:26   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

Hi,
Both are good boat but as you won't sail both you need to make a choice so here is my take; I've sailed both, I own a V40 (late built has more than 50,000 nm including an around the world by the great capes). I would say if you plan to use the boat as a floating home HR is a great and better choice. If you plan to sail the boat hard, a V40 or V42 is a better choice. The construction is way better and the maintenance a lot straighter forward. Forget teak deck it's a lot of weight, maintenance and cost. If you're going into the wild a boat that offers minimum maintenance requirements is definitely a plus. HR top sides are much higher than the V42, I prefer the V42 100% fiberglass hull (much easier to repair) to the HR core construction. The V42 rig is better with its full mast (lower center of gravity), and stronger, The V40 or V42 are real cutter rig boat which is a lot better than the sloop rig of the HR line (if you're into sailing). Valiant are very smooth in big seas, if you take the sea at the right angle the boat is just going its way even when the boat is completely submerged by the sea (can't tell for HR don't have first hand experience). HR came much later with the Valiant fin keel. The cockpit is small but very efficient, you brace yourself just easy and can drive the boat with a minimum of movements, drainage could be better, a bit wet. Storage is very, very good could easily accommodates 2 people with all the gear and provisioning for a 1 year nonstop. Bunks are better designed for sailing than on the HR BUT anchored or in a marina HR is way nicer and "comfortable", it's like being at home. Engine compartment in HR is much better but if you need to replace the engine it is a bit more work than on the Valiant (on a Valiant it is day work). The same with the transom easy to get in and out but more noise. On my Valiant I have a ladder on the port side which is easy to access. The canoe stern offers a nice ride in a following sea.

Anyway just my 2 cents, you have certainly already joined the Valiant group on Yahoo! If you want a nice interior, nice cockpit HR is a very tempting but still expensive option; if you want strong no nonsense easy to sail, maintain and look after Valiant is a good option. I still prefer my 1/2" teak sole to HR laminate ;-)
Patrice Venne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 18:01   #8

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I've sailed both boats. I currently own an HR40.

In my experience the Frer's boats sail faster and point higher than Perry's hulls of similar size. Both are comfortable sea boats. The HRs maintain speed better than Valiants in a seaway.

Plenty of good sea berths on both boats.

> I prefer the V42 100% fiberglass hull (much easier to repair) to the HR
> core construction.

Depends on your sailing plans. I value the insulation of Divinicy core in chilly climes.

> The V40 or V42 are real cutter rig boat which is a lot better than the
> sloop rig of the HR line (if you're into sailing).

Most HR43 MkII boats have a removable inner forestay for a staysail. Unless you have your heart set on a yankee I don't see a lot of value in a classic cutter rig.

> Engine compartment in HR is much better but if you need to replace the
> engine it is a bit more work than on the Valiant (on a Valiant it is day
> work).

The HR has a removable cockpit sole directly over the engine. You can use the boom as a crane for a swap. You can also do an in situ top end rebuild if necessary.

Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 00:57   #9

Both are great boats, and each has it's strong points. Probably our number one criteria is ride quality in heavy seas...we will demo each boat over the next few months and make a decision. I feel either boat will deliver 140 - 160 nm/day in average conditions. The HR will have 2 heads and more space inside...the Valiant may deliver a smoother ride. Thanks for all the replies.
Island Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg