Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2006, 07:32   #1
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Hake/Seaward boats??

does anyone here know much about the Hake/Seaward monohulls? While I suspect a catamaran is a better boat for what we need, I ran across an ad for these in Cruising World magazine. The retractable keel looks interesting, and might make this the only monohull I would even consider down here. Fifteen inches of draft? That would work, IF it works.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:49   #2

Boat: C&C 27
Canibul,
I'm not sure which one you are looking at but there is an older 25 on a Clear Lake brokerage dock for two years now. If you are still planning on RVing down this way send me a pm and I will let you know where it is. You might be able to get it cheap enough to make shipping it home worth while.

pv
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:46   #3
One of Those

Thanks, PV. its looking like we maybe dodged the need to be out of the country for a month. found someone who was related to someone etc. hey, its a banana republic...or maybe conch republic, but at the moment we are awaiting word on our visa.

We WILL be going to Texas, just not in a hurried and unplanned way. All my immediate family: parents and siblings' families are in Houston/Katy/Cypress area. My wife has never met her in-laws...should be interesting. I have told her I was raised by a pack of wild rednecks, but shes going to have to see this mob to believe it.

Just recently started considering trailerable boats...as an alternative to cats. Once my focus was re-adjusted, we also just found a Flicka for sale here, already in country and sitting on blocks at the shipyard. Thats an interesting boat, as well. Owner says $ 20K, but will talk. thats pretty interesting, in itself. It doesnt have a trailer, though.

If I dont get SOMETHING with a sail on it in the near future, I fear I will be forever lost to the powerboat crowd. Unfortunately, power boats are pretty much a necessity here, kind of like the family car only more important.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:02   #4

Boat: C&C 27
Well I'd rather have Flicka at $20k than a Seaward at $9k or $10k but that is just me and that is just today. I do like the Seaward but it has no headroom! Anyway, if you are still in the market let me know, I was looking at that boat when I bought the C&C years ago and it is still around. I'm sure it will still be around in another year or two.

As for a pack of wild rednecks... my wife was raised in a small town between here and Austin that ZZ Top once wrote a song about. My clan is from the up north around Cowtown. Every so often we get into a "redneck contest" to see who can come up with a relative that is the most redneck. Right now I'm winning... or maybe loosing. hmmm. Anyway, they are an unruley bunch but entertaining just the same. Especially when you get them out on a boat that's is not in the category titled "jon".

"Damn Bubba Dale, That whole boat's made of rubber."
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:09   #5

Hey Pura Vida,

I know the town you speak of, been thru there many times..Am myself from Cowtown.....lol
If only Austin was a port town.....that I would like.
gharr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 13:04   #6
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I thought all you Texas guys rode horses to work in the morning and only used your trucks when shooting a Ford or Chevy commercial, or to haul the beer home.

Someone once told me that you can tell a real Texas sailor because he has bull horns mounted on the bow of his boat.

Y'all have a nice day now, hear?

(kiddin)

Peace

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 14:40   #7
One of Those

Hey, ZZ Top used to play at some high school dances I went to. They were called the Moving Sidewalk then.

And I know LaGrange pretty well...

I am 5th generation texan. Family land is halfway between Dallas and Houston. Went to school in Austin, near as I recall....

And I grew up in a town so small that all our city limit signs were on the same post.

the Flicka is a good boat, then? Was reading the history of the design. Couldnt find a spec for standing headroom, though. I am only six two, but I like some clearance. dont wanna knock my Stetson off.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:10   #8
One of Those

Oh, I found the spec...standing headroom in a Flicka is 5' 11" hell, my wife is five eleven. No good. dangit. Back to the cats.

Tags
seaward