Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2004, 04:38   #1

Gulfstar Sailmaster

Hi All,
Havent been around in sometime, still looking for a boat. Spent the summer boating hate to see it go. Im looking for a little info on a 1982 Gulfstar sailmaster, saw one for 45,000. Dont know much about them, any opinions or info would be greatly apprietiated. Thanks Carol
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 12:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
Which length and layout Gulfstar Sailmaster? I think that there was a 39, 41 and a 45 foot Sailmaster. And I think the smaller one was available with an aft or center cockpit option.
Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 16:39   #3

RE: What Size

Hi Jeff,
Its a 41" center cockpit with the aft cabin. In your opinion do you think these boats are good for cruising. Mostly coastal and Island hopping, the carribean.
Thank you Carol
Old 27-11-2004, 02:30   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Here are a couple of reviews of the 41k

Center Cockpit Ketch, Two cabin walk through
Two Heads, Separate Nav station, Accessable engine room.
Main Mast stepped through to Keel is heavy extrusion, Perkins 4-108 & BW 2.01-1 Trans. is a great combination.
Weakest points are the fact that the Mezzen Mast doesn't have a back stay and "works" in the right seaway. Main Mast interferes slightly with access to the dinett. Limited tankage, 45 gls. fuel & 45 gls. water also the settee becomes very narrow at the forward end.
Overall satisfaction is high because of her sailing qualities and ease of care. With very little bright work and the use of formica for the cabin bulkheads she is very easy to keep and overall quite comfortable on long trips.

Summary of Design:
Cruising fin; skeg rudder; Center Cockpit, 3 cabin layout;

Strengths:
Relatively narrow; works upwind in a chop much better than most. Solid glass layup hull, balsa cored deck. Easily balanced. Many people find a Center Cockpit to minimze motion sickness. Profile lower than many Center cockipts, less windage. Cabin Layout excellent for cruising in rough seas.

Weaknesses:
Narrow shape results in less space below than many 41 footers. Have had a moderate problem with blisters, so completely redid bottom with West System Barrier coat in 1993; no blisters since.

Overall Satisfaction:
I bought this boat in 1983. Have sailed it extensively of the Oregon and Washington Coast, and one 9,000 mile, 9 month sojourn to Mexico. On the "dreaded" return up the Baja coast, I sailed all but a very short distance. Took 16 days from Mazatlan to Brookings, Oregon. It sails upwind and into the sea well. After the Mexico trip, I cannot think of any boat I would trade it for.

Other comments on various Gulfstar designs (and other boats from Sailnet

Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2004, 14:55   #5

Thanks!

Hi Talbot,
Thank you so much for this link and your reply. We will deffinetly have to take a look at this boat. We have a couple in mind were interested in, another is a Morgan outIslander 41" center cockpit. I was reading about them on sailnet also. So well probably take a look at them to.
Thanks again Carol

Tags
gulfstar