Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2022, 16:37   #1

Gulfstar 37 or Pearson 365

'm shopping for a good deal/project. Both of these boats are contenders. Both or in "un-loved" condition. The Pearson has some damage and the Gulfstar has been abandoned at a marina.

Let's assume they are in the same condition and are of equal value (under $10K)

All things being equal, which is the better boat?
hertfordnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 20:12   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Gulfstar 37 or Pearson 365

What year were they manufactured? Are the masts intact? How extensive is the “some damage”? Are the engines and transmissions salvageable? Do you possess any of the skills necessary to do any repairs yourself?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 03:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
What year were they manufactured? Are the masts intact? How extensive is the “some damage”? Are the engines and transmissions salvageable? Do you possess any of the skills necessary to do any repairs yourself?
That's not what I'm asking. These boats have different issues, condition, location, price etc. I'll evaluate that part of the decision myself.

They made a lot of Pearson 365 and there are plenty of reviews and a few active youtubers but There is not a lot of info on the Gulfstar.

I want opinions on which is the better boat as it was manufactured.
hertfordnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 05:13   #4

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I worked for Pearson. Very solid construction.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 07:26   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Some opinions found on C.F.,
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...or-118736.html

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...vice-7085.html

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...tar-34705.html

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...mps-12629.html

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ers-30860.html
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 11:16   #6

Boat: Pearson

Depends would be one place to start, aside from that pearson a solid boat with out my doubt, boat for boat.
Old 19-07-2022, 16:14   #7

Boat: Pearson 365

I guess the answer depends a lot on what the damage is, and what you want he boat to do. The P365 is a ketch, and so the condition of the spars and rigging is a lot more important (cost to fix, new sails, etc.) than for the Gulfstream 37. I have a P365, and I can tell you that it is a very solid boat, built before boatbuilders realized just how strong fiberglass is. They tended to make the hulls as thick as a wood hull; I think my hull is over 2 inches thick in most places. Both have about the same SA/D, so performance might not be a lot different - of course the G37 may be more weatherly being a sloop. The boats are about the same size and displacement (less the ballast - the P365 seems to have slightly less ballast - the ketch rig keeps the center of effort lower), so the G37 may be of similar solid construction. In terms of creature comforts, the 365 has a stand-up shower, I think a little bigger cockpit (if having a crowd aboard is important), and really only sleeps 4 in comfort (the pilot berth is a good sea berth for passages, though). In the end, I think the choice comes down to a) what do you want to do with the boat, and b) what is the comparative cost of what needs to be done, especially in the area of propulsion. If you plan to restore and then sell, the G37 is a better candidate, as ketches seem to be out of style, although those of us with them, really love them.
rondelais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 18:58   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Seems most here didn't fully read your post..."Let's assume they are in the same condition". I have had my Pearson 365 (sloop/slutter) for about 7 months now. It was also a fixer. That is what I always buy. Very similar boats with a very similar lay out. However the walk in shower room on the 365 is hands down, nicer for living comfort.
Here is some good opinions of them...
https://www.sailnet.com/threads/gulf...os-cons.38049/
will and sara's sailing adventures - wanderlust, our gulfstar 37
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 10:04   #9

I just sold a 365. Very, very solid boat. Mine was a sloop, but with a hood stowaway main. Huge storage, huge water tanks, dry boat in a seaway and forgiving. Gulfstar are prettier and I bet they sail better, but Gulfstar had a reputation that dogged them for cutting corners. I kind of viewed the interior of my 365 as a blank canvas and spent a few years on interior woodwork to dress it up. I looked at Gulfstar 37s but found the interiors a little more difficult to rebuild and access to systems seemed difficult. Headroom seemed less as well. For a long distance cruiser I’d recommend a 365 all day long.
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 10:35   #10

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Gulfstar made some nasty chopper gun boats. All kinds of them parked.
There is a thread here with boats under 30K. You find some sweethearts out there. A free boat cost more in parts and yard time to be honest. They are parts lists really.
The more options and conveniences the longer the parts list. Then at the end of the day how well does a patched boat sail?
Fibreglass like any plastic breaks down. It never was water proof. Unlike Vinyl - Epoxy.
I’d say you have to skin at least two coats of Epoxy to seal a 70’s hull. $5,000.00 later you have a bottom. The coach roof is chopper gun so are the gunnels good luck with that balsa. Meanwhile for just hull and rigging costs you could be sailing away on a 34 Hunter or C&C. Few more dollars 50’s a 37 Jeanneau. Nothing changes boating being a rich persons sport soon to be broke.
No magic wand turns old boats into their former Glory. That’s why they are parked in yards. No return on investment.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 10:44   #11

I have proof I’m correct. I have a 1996 BMW M3. It’s now what’s called a DINAN. So it has just over $40,000.00 in mods including a blower with intercooler. So total investment since I bought the worn out car for 18,000$ is around $58,000.00
It’s worth $1,800.00 blue book mint which a modified car isn’t, so $1,200.00
Love my old toy which I think is why stupid folks like me build them. Not sure
Old 20-07-2022, 11:14   #12

Boats are definitely not investments-it’s really a question of how much money can you afford to spend on your leisure activity. In my case, I bought an old 365 for 18K and sold it for 33. Definitely did not make a profit, but did not take a bath either AND I had fun rebuilding it and sailing it all over New England. The folks that bought it need perhaps a newer set of sails and can take it anywhere. There are old 70s chopper boats and there are older boats with good bones that need a ton of work. Bought at the right price they can be a viable choice for cruisers on a budget.-You just need to be clear eyed about what you are getting into
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 14:10   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Gulfstar made some nasty chopper gun boats. All kinds of them parked.
There is a thread here with boats under 30K. You find some sweethearts out there. A free boat cost more in parts and yard time to be honest. They are parts lists really.
The more options and conveniences the longer the parts list. Then at the end of the day how well does a patched boat sail?
Fibreglass like any plastic breaks down. It never was water proof. Unlike Vinyl - Epoxy.
I’d say you have to skin at least two coats of Epoxy to seal a 70’s hull. $5,000.00 later you have a bottom. The coach roof is chopper gun so are the gunnels good luck with that balsa. Meanwhile for just hull and rigging costs you could be sailing away on a 34 Hunter or C&C. Few more dollars 50’s a 37 Jeanneau. Nothing changes boating being a rich persons sport soon to be broke.
No magic wand turns old boats into their former Glory. That’s why they are parked in yards. No return on investment.

You seem to have a tendency to spout false information just about any topic you address. Please back up these findings of fiberglass breaking down, chopper guns used used on coach roofs and gunnels.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 15:43   #14

Sorry you feel that way. So look up the build history yourself. It’s common knowledge but you’re mannerism doesn’t warrant the courtesy.
Old 20-07-2022, 15:45   #15

Every time you fact checked me so far you were wrong. Maybe don’t make your assumptions out loud. Or a less stocking would be great.
Let’s let admins decide shall we

Tags
gulfstar, pearson, pearson 365