Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2012, 18:39   #1

Boat: Moody 34
guidance?

Do I just buy the boat and then pay for help if I need it or do I take all the ASA courses (already took ASA101 -Basic Keelboat Sailing) and then buy a boat? I think I know the boat I wanna buy but do I need to take 102 ns 103, etc,- would rather spend that money in asking a Captain for help if I need it- any input?
advocate777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 19:52   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 321
Re: guidance?

That depends a little on what size boat you are talking about, what you intend to do with it (day sail, weekend trips, months long cruise, live aboard), how much experience you have apart from the 101 course, that sort of thing.

If you don't have much experience and you're thinking of getting a boat in the 30' and over range and plan to do more than day sailing, the 103 and 104 classes might not be a bad idea. They'll give you hands-on time with a larger boat and introduce you to things you may not have had to deal with if you took the 101 on a small boat (marine heads, stoves, etc).

If you're wanting a smaller boat, say 23' or under, and you just want to do day sails around home, the 101 class may be enough for you. If you don't have much experience, I'd recommend trying to find a place to rent boats from for a while first to get some sailing time under your belt, but that's just me.
bstowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 03:36   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate777 View Post
Do I just buy the boat and then pay for help if I need it or do I take all the ASA courses (already took ASA101 -Basic Keelboat Sailing) and then buy a boat? I think I know the boat I wanna buy but do I need to take 102 ns 103, etc,- would rather spend that money in asking a Captain for help if I need it- any input?
You don't NEED to take any classes! There isn't any requirement to do so.

Taking the classes and paying a captain to teach you on your boat are probably about the same price.
Old 18-06-2012, 04:21   #4

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

You sound like you know the basics. I assume that you know COLREGS, if not buy the book and learn them.

Experienced personal help may help you hone things like:
Sail trimming
Anchoring
Docking

But, most of us learned what we remember best by doing those things the wrong way.

Nike advice: just do it when you think you are ready.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote