Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2020, 16:38   #1

Boat: Leopard 42
Gozzard vs Cabo Rico

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and doing a little research for my next boat. Looking at 40 to mid 40 ft.- late 90's early 2000's blue water cruiser for a couple. The Gozzard 41 and Cabo Rico 42 both seem solid and well built.
Any thoughts on these and how they sail and perform? Things to look out for? Also, comparisons to say an Island Packet or Hylas of similar vintage?

Thanks!
mountaindweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 05:37   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Gozzard vs Cabo Rico

Interesting choices. In terms of performance, the Hylas (I looked at a 42) would be best with SA/D of almost 20 and D/Length of a little over 200. The other extreme would be the IP with 16/365 so a bit of a slug in comparison. The Gozzard has good numbers 19/238 but you either like the interior or you don't. Also since they are semi-customs the interiors may vary quite a bit. If you might take on crew for long passages you might want to look at the number of sea berths. The Gozzard and CR look to only have one while the IP and Hylas have two. All are well-built with the IP perhaps not quite as good as the others but still decent. Consider maintenance, the Gozzard is very pretty but a lot of brightwork to keep up. I am a Ted Hood fan, you might want to consider a Bristol or Little Harbor as well.
Old 19-08-2020, 06:16   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaindweller View Post
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and doing a little research for my next boat. Looking at 40 to mid 40 ft.- late 90's early 2000's blue water cruiser for a couple. The Gozzard 41 and Cabo Rico 42 both seem solid and well built.
Any thoughts on these and how they sail and perform? Things to look out for? Also, comparisons to say an Island Packet or Hylas of similar vintage?

Thanks!
The best recommendation before you buy is to do a test sail(s) in some heavier air/sea state w/the various boats and see how they handle. Also if you can do an overnight, which can reveal other things you wouldn't think of while sailing if you are planning to do some longer cruises.

You could look at numbers all you want and they will not tell you the whole picture. We've been on newer boats that looked good on paper and were fast, but then when out in decent conditions were extremely wet boats, w/poor factory non-skid, hull slammed and no hand holds below.

Take your time.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 06:28   #4

Boat: Seaward 22

I like the look of the Gozzards, but I would be concerned about their ability to go to windward. The layout of the lounge at the bow would be good at anchor, but not so great in a passage. I think it boils down to your expectations and usage. My current boat is a bit of a pig, but that's okay because it fits my use.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 06:32   #5

If you grouped the IP, Gozzard and Cabo Rico together for a comparison then that would be quite fair. Get the Hylas out of the mix as it's a much higher performing yacht.
The really important deciding factor has to be your mission. If you are crossing oceans on a regular basis then the first group might be ok to consider. If your going to be cruising locally say in the Caribbean then I suppose you could fall in love with the interior layout on any of the 3 boats. Sailing wise in lighter airs they all have enough wetted surface to be at best slightly below average so make sure you have a good diesel and adequate tankage.

The Hylas is beautifully built and well designed for all types of sailing whether its coastal or offshore, it would be my pick assuming it had been well looked after. Th
There are many other boats out there to consider..don't quit looking at other options.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 06:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
If you grouped the IP, Gozzard and Cabo Rico together for a comparison then that would be quite fair. Get the Hylas out of the mix as it's a much higher performing yacht.

The Hylas is beautifully built and well designed for all types of sailing whether its coastal or offshore, it would be my pick assuming it had been well looked after.

Again don't be fooled by just the numbers or appearance. Unless the Hylas hull was the S&S
design, then maybe. YMMV
Old 19-08-2020, 08:13   #7

Thanks for the insights! Just in the information gathering stage so appreciate the input. I love the classic look of the Gozzard and Cabo Rico, but do have concerns with interior functionality, especially on passage with crew. Alden, Little Harbor, Bristol and Hinckley also on the radar. Our previous boat was a late model Beneteau Oceanis 42, so pendulum is swinging just not sure how far to take it in terms of modern day comforts vs. older classic designs. Cheers!
Old 19-08-2020, 08:15   #8

Boat: Island Packet 420

I looked at Gozzards and Cabo Ricos before purchasing my IP 420. The IP is a very solid boat- I have crossed the Atlantic in her and been in miserable weather, 70+kn winds, she holds up quite comfortably. I went with the IP for several reasons. Space, she has much more interior space than the others, she is beamier Since I live aboard, that was a major consideration. Also, consider strongly the layout and how dark she is below. The other consideration was maintenance, I felt I would be spending less time varnishing the IP than the Gozzard or Cabo Rico. Despite what some people may say here, the boat sails incredibly well, even in light weather and she is extremely solidly built.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 08:35   #9

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I've owned my Gozzard 44 CC for 22 years. She may not be the fastest but you'll arrive well rested! They are extremely comfortable and handle blue water wonderfully. The MK II 41's are faster than the earlier ones. As stated earlier, they interior layouts differ as they are built to order on a semi-custom basis. The fact that Gozzard is still in business ensures continued support availability from the factory. You must however be prepared to have your picture taken as their classic design draws attention.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 08:49   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Gladiateur, 33’

I looked at the Cabo Rico but, it was awhile ago. I planned to go offshore. I thought that the Cabo Rico looked wonderful but was extremely lacking in storage space. If you are planning to go offshore storage space is important especially if you are also taking extra crew.
Whosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 08:55   #11

Here is a nice Gozzard 41 for sale.

Met the owner last year when we were out and surprised to see that they were now selling the boat (he was 83). Boat was well kept and in immaculate condition. It was also the Gozzard "show" boat in the 2016 Annapolis boat show.
Always excellent interior wood work.
Old 19-08-2020, 09:06   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

We have an exclusive CR forum with quite a few 42 owners if interested I can send the link but one will need sign in to access our group..

Regards,

Clay AA3JY
S/V Tango
CR 34
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 10:14   #13

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaindweller View Post
Thanks for the insights! Just in the information gathering stage so appreciate the input. I love the classic look of the Gozzard and Cabo Rico, but do have concerns with interior functionality, especially on passage with crew. Alden, Little Harbor, Bristol and Hinckley also on the radar. Our previous boat was a late model Beneteau Oceanis 42, so pendulum is swinging just not sure how far to take it in terms of modern day comforts vs. older classic designs. Cheers!
I started by looking at the heavier boats with more substantial keels and ended up in the Beneteau. Saw all of the wood as beautiful until the work started. Also not partial to the heavy boats and the wallowing inherent to them. Worked on tugs for a bit and came to realize I'd prefer the quicker motion. When it comes to the numbers and motion it truly is a preference thing. Also you have to decide how much you really like to sail.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 10:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
I looked at Gozzards and Cabo Ricos before purchasing my IP 420. The IP is a very solid boat- I have crossed the Atlantic in her and been in miserable weather, 70+kn winds, she holds up quite comfortably. I went with the IP for several reasons. Space, she has much more interior space than the others, she is beamier Since I live aboard, that was a major consideration. Also, consider strongly the layout and how dark she is below. The other consideration was maintenance, I felt I would be spending less time varnishing the IP than the Gozzard or Cabo Rico. Despite what some people may say here, the boat sails incredibly well, even in light weather and she is extremely solidly built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Again don't be fooled by just the numbers or appearance. Unless the Hylas hull was the S&S
design, then maybe. YMMV
Yes, the Hylas I mentioned is a 1984 S&S designed 47. Seems like a decent boat as well.
Old 19-08-2020, 10:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Here is a nice Gozzard 41 for sale.

Met the owner last year when we were out and surprised to see that they were now selling the boat (he was 83). Boat was well kept and in immaculate condition. It was also the Gozzard "show" boat in the 2016 Annapolis boat show.
Always excellent interior wood work.
Thanks! Beautiful boat but above budget

Tags
cabo rico