Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2020, 16:46   #31
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Re: Gozzard vs Cabo Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo1 View Post
I’ve had a G44BMKII for 18 years...
Important thing to remember is Gozzard is still in business. Call for advice and if you can get the boat to the Goderich factory they do refurbishing.

Ronbo
They certainly do. One of our acquaintances has owned a Gozzard for so long that they've had two factory refits.

Lovely boats.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 08:45   #32

Boat: 2015 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Here is a nice Gozzard 41 for sale.

Met the owner last year when we were out and surprised to see that they were now selling the boat (he was 83). Boat was well kept and in immaculate condition. It was also the Gozzard "show" boat in the 2016 Annapolis boat show.
Always excellent interior wood work.

We are interested in the Gozzard to which you refer. Would like to speak with the owner. Do you have any contact information for him? Thx.
jslindner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 09:53   #33

Boat: gozzard 44

That’s a great buy for $489!
The old gent didn’t use it much. Huge aft cabin due to the raised cockpit floor.
Personally I would prefer a different hull color.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2016/gozzard-41rc-3583821/
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 11:06   #34

Boat: 2015 Leopard 40

Do you have any contact info for the owner, like a boat card or something?
jslindner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 04:26   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
I started by looking at the heavier boats with more substantial keels and ended up in the Beneteau. Saw all of the wood as beautiful until the work started. Also not partial to the heavy boats and the wallowing inherent to them. Worked on tugs for a bit and came to realize I'd prefer the quicker motion. When it comes to the numbers and motion it truly is a preference thing. Also you have to decide how much you really like to sail.
I take it that you are referring to the need to motor more to get to where you wnt to go in one of the heavier boats?
bcweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 07:19   #36

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcweed View Post
I take it that you are referring to the need to motor more to get to where you wnt to go in one of the heavier boats?
I'd take his comment to mean more than that. When he says it depends on how much one likes to sail he could be talking about the actual enjoyment of sailing and of a boat which does it well.

Of course being forced to motor to get where you want to go is an aggravation, but if you don't much care to sail anyhow, or don't want to bother with it, then it does not make much difference to you.

On the other hand if you simply love sailing then each tine you leave the dock you might be happiest if you have and a boat which does it well.
Old 26-05-2021, 08:07   #37

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I'd take his comment to mean more than that. When he says it depends on how much one likes to sail he could be talking about the actual enjoyment of sailing and of a boat which does it well.

Of course being forced to motor to get where you want to go is an aggravation, but if you don't much care to sail anyhow, or don't want to bother with it, then it does not make much difference to you.

On the other hand if you simply love sailing then each tine you leave the dock you might be happiest if you have and a boat which does it well.
I believe you have portrayed the people who motor often in a nice way. Even w/decent air we see them motoring all the time. Not sure if it just laziness or they haven't left the frenetic work world, but they always seem to be in a hurry. Maybe we're an oddity these days, but we would rather hear the water rush past the hull and adjust sails than listen to the motor.

Previously would "rate" a boats sailing ability by low engine hours. This isn't always the case these days as you need to heavily factor in the owners ability/want to sail into the formula. If they aren't doing 6-7 kts, they need to fire up the motor.

Will say we have a heavier boat by today's standards, but think it can sail well even in light air if you are willing to put up the light air sails. In 6-8 kts of air we are moving fairly well for a big girl. Since we tend to sail more, we hardly put on many engine hours annually.

Agree that some (not all) heavier boats need 10-15kts to start sailing. They tend to motor more since they don't even try to put up light air sails (too much work??). Luckily, I don't need to really understand why people can't/don't sail, just know that we enjoy sailing and is all that matters.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 08:34   #38

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
This is just not true. Our Bristol 45.5 cruised at about 40,000 pounds and never, ever wallowed. It has a lot to do with hull shape and power of the rig. I think we have to be careful about blanket judgements about boat types whether it be heavy displacement, fin keels, you name it. To the OP, I forgot to mention Amels. Very well thought-out boats and widely cruised. On deck wood is certainly a love/hate thing. A rainforest died to provide the wood on deck of our Bristol. Similar for Cabo Rico and Gozzard.
I'm not using wallowing to refer to sailing characteristics but more the slow heavy heaving once out in short seas. I find heavy boats not to be my preference.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 08:36   #39

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

Bingo. No need to spend money on all the sails and rigging to own a powerboat. Seems somewhat counterintuitive.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabo rico