Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2011, 19:46   #1

Gozzard 36 as a Bluewater, Liveaboard Cruising Yacht

My wife, our dog and I are about to buy a bluewater, liveaboard cruising yacht in USA. We will spend a season in the Caribbean, then head west across the South Pacific to Australia or Asia. I have spent months narrowing a list of boats within our limited budget in the 36 – 38’ range and the shortlist includes older models of: Tayana 37; Cabo Rico 38; and Gozzard 36. The final choice will be influenced by the best deal, subject to the wisdom from this forum. I need a boat that has a comfortable motion at sea as the admiral suffers mal de mer worse than me.

In another thread, “Understanding the Ratios”, there were many contradictory thoughts about how meaningful the ratios are, so it is time to seek the thoughts of sailors here who have sailed on these boats in a real ocean swell.

The key ratios are: Tayana 37 (Capsize Screening Formula 1.63, Motion Comfort Ratio 40.8); Cabo Rico 38 (CSF 1.65, MCR 40.0) and Gozzard 36 (CSF 1.83, MCR 32.0). Based on the ratios, the Gozzard will be less comfortable and at greater risk in nasty seas.

1) How significant are the differences in these ratios?
2) Subjectively, how does the Gozzard feel when the waves get belligerent?

Many thanks in advance for the combined wisdom flowing across this thread.
Old 15-11-2011, 20:07   #2

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Re: Gozzard 36 as a bluewater, liveaboard cruising yacht

Pblais has a Gozzard I believe.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 20:11   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Gozzard 36 as a bluewater, liveaboard cruising yacht

gozzards sail nice. didnt sail one in heavy seas, but they perform well in caribean.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 13:51   #4

Boat: gozzard 44
Re: Gozzard 36 as a Bluewater, Liveaboard Cruising Yacht

I wouldn't place much stock in ratios and numbers, not because I have a Gozzard but in the real world they are only guides. In fact, Ted Brewer famously said he created his "comfort ratio" as a lark.

Any of those named boats would be a good choice. My experience with Gozzard is they are ruggedly built and will take you anywhere.

By the way, I had a Gozzard36 before buying a 44.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 14:32   #5

Boat: Baba 35, Play Actor

You might add the Baba/Tashiba 35/36 or 40 to your list. Very similar boat. We had almost the same list 23 years ago, and have been happy with our Baba 35 ever since.
Play Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 15:52   #6

baba /tashiba are not clipper bow. they are traditional. gozzard has clipper bow. very similar but completely different.
try bayfield--is gozzard.
Old 16-11-2011, 16:15   #7

Boat: Baba 35, Play Actor

Right you are, Zeehag, although the OP mentioned the Tayana 37, as well. Should probably look at your Formosa, if a clipper bow is important. The Bayfields fit too, as you say.
Play Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 17:23   #8
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

I always heard the clipper bows tended to hobbyhorse more than other designs. We loved an aquaintance's Gozzard 44. We were sure the 36 was our boat. I love the look and I loved the inside configuration.

But we ended up with a Passport 37 on Bob Perry's recommendation (over a Tashiba 36 & 40 that we were looking at at the same time). Only 24 built, our boat is built to go around the world ... unfortunately it's crew is not. If you're looking at Baba/Tashiba/Tayana, if there's a Passport available, take a look.

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 17:37   #9

isnt the clipper bow that hobbyhorses--i have seen more double enders including ingrids and babas hobbyhorse--is due to being improperly load trimmed. ANY improperly loaded boat will hobbyhorse.
Old 16-11-2011, 17:45   #10
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Dear Santa:

SaltyMonkey would like a boat for xmas - any boaty is good for SaltyMonkey - hobbyhorsie or not.

I know i know..SaltyMonkey has been mischievous and grumpy this year BUT whats your point? AYE?

Bayfields are nice boats and because they are affordable for SaltyMonkey!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 19:55   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

Can't do a direct comparison with your three options GypsyJohn, although I can tell you that there is a noticable difference between our previous boat (Grampian-34; CSF: 1.75, MCR: 29.97) compared to our current boat (Rafiki-37; CSF: 1.6, MCR: 45.23).

Our Rafiki's motion in a rough seaway is noticeably easier to take. Not that the Grampian was bad, but our new (old) boat just cuts through the slop that much easier. My wife, who also suffers from mal de mer, suffers much less on our Rafiki.

That being said, I think all your choices (plus the others mentioned) are great boats. I would confidently go to sea in any of them.
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 15:48   #12

Many thanks for the feedback esteemed members. My wife likes the layout of the Gozzard, so looks like it stays firmly planted on the shortlist.
Old 17-11-2011, 15:53   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

One other thing you might look at in terms of a blue water boat is tankage and storage space. I have a Cabo Rico 38 that hold roughly 50 gal of diesel and 180 gal of water. Before I bought the Cabo I looked at Gozzards. A very handsome vessel but for me the tankage was more suited to coastal cruising.

Just a thought,
Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 16:03   #14

Too much weight in the ends can cause hobby horsing. Most the double enders have long waterlines and minimal hull overhangs. (Perry) Some of the older designs with clipper bows (Garden) have much shorter waterlines/to OAL and thus more weight in the ends past the waterline. Dont think I would worry about it either way though. Those all sound like great boats.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 16:30   #15

Good point Cabo_sailor. Given the usage and areas I will be cruising, I will install a watermaker so not too stressed about the water storage, providing I always keep an emergency supply - not that a watermaker would ever fail mind you! The diesel however is more of a concern. After a quick search, I notice that Gozzard fuel tanks have steadily increased over the years, from 40 gallons in the early models I am looking at. Clearly the designer saw the need for more tankage. Interestingly the holding tank is bigger, at 60 gallons.

Agreed Cheechako. At one time the Ta Yang boatyard decided to put tanks in the bow of the Tayana 37, without discussion with the designer (Bob Perry). Later, most owner had to find space mid ship to repositioin the tanks to stop the hobby horsing.

The research continues ...

Tags
cruising, liveaboard, yacht