Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2015, 10:23   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Good morning. Best small sail boat for beginner ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
Here you go:

Compac 16 sailboat

For fun and drier sailing and more security or safety if you are taking an infant or small child with you, I would get THIS type of boat, rather than any Laser dinghy style boat.

With this type, you have a dry cockpit, seat backs for comfort, a transome for a small outboard motor, AND a small cuddly cabin in which you can put a play pen, cushions or place for the child to sleep while you sail. And you have a place where you can store a portapotty or bucket head and room for a cooler to store food for you and child.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 10:41   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

Many years ago, I taught US Navy sailors to sail boats in Alameda, when they got off their Navy ships and wanted to learn "real sailing". We used a little dinghy called an El Toro. Made of plywood. Sturdy. Sailed like a bumper car by the sailors on recreation.

I would encourage a boat like this to learn the fun and basics of sailing.

My transition, like many was to step up to small boat racing, then crewing on larger boats to now I just acquired my first 35 ft cruising sailboat.

While the type of fun has changed I still remember sailing the El Toro. Splashing in the water, bailing the boat cause I jibbed to quickly, and trying to beat the other boats to the beach.
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 12:12   #33

Boat: Lots of boats.

Look at local MacGregor sailboats (22-26). Really easy to sail. They all accommodate a head and have overnight capacity. And best of all, there are lots of cheap, almost free boats available.

They usually come with a trailer and a small outboard and are easy to move around. They sail well in light air and can be sailed safely even if the wind and waves pick up. The swing keel means less to worry about in shallow water and having the real cabin provides a level of flexibility and safety. And these boats have positive foam floatation, so they won't sink if you happen to fill one with water.

Whatever you get, be extremely careful with the young one. Crap happens on any boat, especially while learning. And it often happens quickly. Easy enough for an adult to lose their footing and go overboard. Recovering someone in any kind of wind is a challenge, let alone a child. Even with practice (a good idea), it can take 10-15 minutes to get someone back on board. So try to leave the little one at home until you feel comfortable on the water.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 13:57   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia2015 View Post
Thank you all for your input.

I would like something that i can share with my family ..
My son is 1 year old so i am debating if it is safe or not..what would you say ?

thanks again
Many cruising families go adventuring with 1 year olds, but do not know many "new to sailing" families out on the water with a 1 year old. The challenge is the many tasks you have as a skipper to learn to sail, manage the boat in various weather conditions (some of which can appear on a beautiful summer day that turn a gentle sea into a "Oh my G we are going to die" experience). If your 1 year old is like my 2 year old grandson, I would be cautious venturing out on the water without several adults who have sailing experience. For many new skippers, managing the boat on the water is a full time focused experience.

That said, you are not looking for a 1 person, cheap cost, dinghy like boat. You need something that has more stability, and stands a bit taller and dryer in the water. Look at the West Wight Potter sailboats 15 or 19, or one of the 15 or 17 foot Montgomery's, or a newer Sage 15 or 17 foot boat. They have nice small cabins (the size of a nice backing tent) with creature comforts like beds, porta-potty, plenty of flotation to keep you floating if in the rare case the boat gets blown onto it's side.

AND OF COURSE EVERY ONE WEARS LIFE JACKETS WHILE ON THE BOAT INCLUDING THE 1 YEAR OLD.
Old 24-08-2015, 14:17   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSSailem View Post
..We used a little dinghy called an El Toro...

...I still remember sailing the El Toro. Splashing in the water, bailing the boat cause I jibbed to quickly, and trying to beat the other boats to the beach.
You would recommend this type of boat to a novice sailor who wants to take her one year old with her?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 14:29   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Of Course Not. Sailpower

I read the first posting and a 1 year old was not mentioned. It was not until a later post that Julia2015 mentioned the 1 year old.

But I stand by my statement the simplicity of the El Toro, durability, and the fun you can have make the boat a consideration to the "New" sailor. (Without a 1 year old aboard.)
Old 24-08-2015, 15:46   #37

Boat: 36' Racer-Cruiser

Hello Julia,

Welcome to CF. I recommend you look for a sailing club in your area, preferably one geared toward women. You will learn faster and more safely from other sailors and club members are a great resource to find an appropriate boat to buy. Also, if people like having you around, you will find there are many opportunities to sail without having to own your own boat.

Personally, I would not bring a 1 year old on a boat with me unless I was very confident of the boat and the people I am sailing with. Things can go wrong very quickly. But it will be awesome to share the joy when the little one is a bit older and you are more experienced.
BlueSlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail