Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 23:05   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Possibly read this thread from another forum (is that allowed here? if not please delete my post). It may give you another perspective.

Honestly though, you may have discovered the perfect sailing experience? Charter for a week in an exotic location, sip rum drinks, call for help when it breaks, leave before the weather turns or the bottom needs to be painted.

Catamaran sailing in gale- Video - Sailing Anarchy Forums
Beautiful and you too can buy one fo 1.2 (million that is) used.
2002 Catana 582 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 23:44   #17

Location: Landlocked for now in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Boat: Home building project just starting.
Anchors!
Guns!
Just had to throw that in to stir the pot a little.

Your boat is really going to end up an extension of you personality. You might as well ask why doesn't everyone drive a mini-van, or a classic GTO. I wanted to build a cat when I first started thinking of building a boat. So a friend of mine took me out on his dads cat.... It was soooooo Awesome! It was so awesome we went out again the next day.... Same boat different day, it was murder. After two hours I was never so happy to be back on land. That boat is just a pain to sail when things aren't perfect. You could tell the same story about a mono hull. It did get me thinking about what I want to do with my boat, what I expect out of my boat, and my skill as a sailor. I am no less ambitious but all things considered for me the mono fits better. Not a better or worse boat just a better fit.
Old 10-09-2010, 00:00   #18

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
There is nothing to defend

The fact that the majority of passenger ferries are multi's
The amount of multi's in charter fleets is increasing
and the military having added multis to their fleets all speaks for itself
More than 90% of the ships and boats are single-hulled. That speaks for itself.

I don't care what kind of boat someone gets. If they get a multi-hull, that doesn't invalidate my choice of a single-hull. ... Have fun; keep safe.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 00:01   #19

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2 View Post
Thanks to all whom have commented. Are there no sailers out there that will defend their beloved Cats?
I can't defend cats. They are inferior and I wish I hadn't bought one. Guaranteed they will flip. Cat owners tell more whoppers than fishermen....
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 00:31   #20

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mates. If anyone goes through their analysis, decides to go with a monohull and desires one that will take them safely & comfortably where they want to go, look me up. Cheers
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:14   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post

Oh and in relation to dockheads and others, comments about berthing etc, it depends where you are re costs, but can I just say there aint anywhere in my club that you can park a 54 foot mono or cat or tri, nowhere. So length can be a problem as much as beam.
True, and more evidence that the differences between cats and monos are less than you might think, if you compare like for like. The lovely spaciousness of a 45' to 47' cat or 52' to 54' mono comes with similar berthing problems. Which is only logical. No free lunch.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 15:18   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
As an owner of a charter company that has both mono's and cats in the fleet, I've sailed all of them. (mono's mostly Jeanneau from 35 to 52 ft and cats from FP 38 to 46 ft)
Mono's;
-are better looking
-if you are motoring up against the sea and strong wind, mono's are somewhat better, because of the heavy keel which helps in these conditions.
-sailing is more fun with monos, for couple of hours, though. For long passage it's extremely tiring and unpleasant.
-every boat loses her performance with inreased load. But mono's do much less than cats ..
-heating and cooling the mono is way easier..

Cat's;
-are safer and unsinkable. İn mono, if you hit something and get an hole of inch, you would barely have a time to activate yr beacon and leave the boat.
-in rough wheater, you can sit inside, watch yr video and have a dinner. In mono you are exposed to sprays and all kind of wheather.
-you don't roll on anchor and shollower draft can be very helpful in certain conditions.
-privancy in two separate hulls is superior.
-dingy is easily deployed form the aft davids whereas in mono's you have to iether deflate or carry it on the deck (which I hate to see..)

All in all, in charter the demand for cats is increasing exponentially.. I would go with cat for charter purpose or for traditional circumnavigation. (east to west beetween +/- 20ish lattitudes. Otherwise, I would take 55-60 ft, steel or aluminium mono..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 16:23   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
In the area where I sail (Brittany, English Channel), the sea is generally choppy, even in summer. From my experience, cats have a bumpy ride when going to windward in these conditions.

Moreover, space is tight in marinas and fishing harbors (rafting by twos or threes , sometimes fours, is often necessary). Cats need a lot of room for berthing, and it doesn't come cheap. In this area, there are not so many sheltered anchorages where a cat would be comfortable.

On a more personal note, I couldn't afford a catamaran large enough to sleep 4 people comfortably and safely cross the Channel, the Irish sea and the bay of Biscay.

Alain
I think Alain summed it up rather nicely for me, but if money wasn't the issue, then why stop at two hulls? what about something like this?

Corsair F-27: Popular foldable sports-cruiser trimaran

We had one moor alongside us for a couple of days during the summer (crowded waters over here) and it looked very interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair_F-27_5.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	19144  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:36   #24

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
The complete thread title should be something like--
mono cat anchor tiller wheel Atomic 4 marine heads jet skis pistols automatic weapons children in restaurants conspiracy race protests whale harvesting pet poop seat belts corrupt port officials MacGregor 26 anorexia cored hull plastic diaper singlehander watchstanding drugs sex rock n roll death penalty abortion Bermuda Triangle tea party pirates politics Abby Sunderland Pacific Gyre trash Glenn Beck Barack Obama orbital mind control lasers...

Sensitivity of cats to carrying heavy loads was touched on a bit. How about differences in tacking and handling? And cat sailors might want to point out that mono sailors are paying to move tons of lead through the water.
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:25   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
I think in the end, they both have their pros and cons and if you are unsure of your love for cats then you are making a good choice in trying a mono.

For me, up until last October, I had always been on monohulls except for hobie cats and that's a completely different kind of cat Last year we chartered a 47' Cat and I loved it. I haven't been in rough seas on one yet, so we'll see what I think of it when that happens, but at this point the only reason I'd charter a Mono was due to cost. And its very likely that will happen soon as my wife and I will probably charter just the two of us in the next 6 months or so.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 15:50   #26

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
If one were to ask the "Big" question, "So, what's the worst thing that can happen" the answer has little to do with space or speed or comfort or docking. The big question is on "ultimate stability" which Cats have when capsized and which leadbellys have when resting on the bottom.