Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2015, 07:02   #1

Boat: Conyplex, Contest, 48'
GIWW for newbies

We just purchased a 6'1" draft 42ft boat in Freeport, TX and want to take it to Pass Christian, MS. We have very little sailing experience except for our ASA 101 & 103 certification. We have been told it would be easier to bring the boat thru the GIWW. We have purchased books "Southern 2015" and "Skipper Bob's GIWW" and have been studying them. I'm a little nervous after reading about the locks, limited anchorages, floating and underwater debris. Plus, we are planning to bring the boat back next month. I would appreciate any advice, tips, and info on this adventure. Also, any idea about long it would take? We are thinking 12 days. Thank you for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
fishbait58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:26   #2

Re: GIWW for newbies

It is easy. Do not worry about the locks, they are a piece of cake except the Mississippi River locks. Even those are not so bad as long as you read the guide and active captain. Anchorages are also easy and plentiful. Make sure you have a good anchoring system. Debris is also no problem unless the rivers are flooding. Since you are going in spring this could be a concern.

If rivers flood the may close the locks for days at a time. Providing this does not happen, you should be able to make the trip in 10 days of hard motoring.
The ICW is >12 feet everywhere, so depth is no problem in the channel. Marinas and fuel docks are another story.

I find the ICW relaxing and enjoyable. Have fun with it. Just call ahead to the locks to make sure they are open and watch the weather carefully.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote