Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2015, 08:31   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Gear We’re Leaving Off – Cruising ICW to Bahamas

We’re preparing to head down the ICW and ultimately over to the Bahamas this fall/winter. We’ve been working on the boat for over a year and have made a lot of the upgrades and improvements people often make in preparation for this type of trip and have loaded our boat with a lot of the usual “cruiser gear.” At this point we aren’t planning on buying any other major items (unless something breaks!) – just to finish the projects already in the pipeline. By choice we are leaving some of the “usual” cruiser stuff off. I’ve listed below the major items we’re NOT taking and the reasons why. If nothing else, we can look back at this thread in several months and see if any priorities have changed. But for now, feel free to tell me if we’re crazy for leaving any of this off…
  • Davits or Arch – Out of everything on this list, this is one thing that if we had it to do over again we might have prioritized higher but at this point the plan is to see how it goes with towing and foredeck storage of our 10' RIB.
  • Electric Windlass – The boat has an older Goiot manual windlass in good condition. All crew are under 40 and I need the exercise. The manual windlass hasn’t bothered us – although we also haven’t anchored days and days on end before either.
  • Spinnaker or Asym – Just kept getting bumped down the priority list.
  • Wind Gen – Chose solar instead.
  • Portable Generator – Again, chose solar instead. Figured 400 watts should get us if not to self-sufficiency then pretty close. In the ICW the majority of charging is from the motor anyway.
  • AIS Transponder – We do have a receiver. Mixed feelings about the current usefulness of a transponder lead it to keep getting bumped down the list.
  • Watermaker – Too expensive to justify cost based on the anticipated duration of the cruise.
  • Liferaft – Just didn’t see the need when doing the hop over to the Bahamas in a weather window and island hopping thereafter.
  • SUPs or Kayaks – Could be fun to have but felt we might not use them enough to justify the cost and the bulk of carrying even the inflatable types. Seems it is not that hard to find rentals if wanted.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 08:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Gear We’re Leaving Off – Cruising ICW to Bahamas

Hi 4arch.

I can't think of any major criticism of your decisions.

Davits - very handy but you can live without them. Just don't get lazy about putting the dink on deck when called for like areas where security and theft is a concern (not many in the Bahamas) or underway in any but very calm conditions.

Electric windlass - have seen some what if discussions to justify the ease and faster retrieval of the anchor as a potential safety issue but with more than one able crew member (a spare in case one crew mashes a finger or is drunk in the scuppers) don't see a problem here.

Spinnaker - same thing. Nice to have but don't have to.

Wind gen- solar probably better in the Bahamas anyway.

Portable gen - found one really handy once when we broke the boom and needed power tools (this was a while back and before rechargeable battery tools were available). If you have all the battery tools you might need or have an inverter to run the AC powered tools then a gennie is redundant.

AIS - cruised for 30 years without one and managed to live to tell the tale.

Watermaker - what you said. I always found decent water in the Bahamas but was careful about what I used for drinking.

Liferaft - for where you are going the dink should be enough. Have an EPIRB or handheld VHF in a ditch bag?

Toys?? - take snorkeling gear. Rent toys at a resort if you feel the need.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 12:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi 4arch.

I can't think of any major criticism of your decisions.

Davits - very handy but you can live without them. Just don't get lazy about putting the dink on deck when called for like areas where security and theft is a concern (not many in the Bahamas) or underway in any but very calm conditions.

Electric windlass - have seen some what if discussions to justify the ease and faster retrieval of the anchor as a potential safety issue but with more than one able crew member (a spare in case one crew mashes a finger or is drunk in the scuppers) don't see a problem here.

Spinnaker - same thing. Nice to have but don't have to.

Wind gen- solar probably better in the Bahamas anyway.

Portable gen - found one really handy once when we broke the boom and needed power tools (this was a while back and before rechargeable battery tools were available). If you have all the battery tools you might need or have an inverter to run the AC powered tools then a gennie is redundant.

AIS - cruised for 30 years without one and managed to live to tell the tale.

Watermaker - what you said. I always found decent water in the Bahamas but was careful about what I used for drinking.

Liferaft - for where you are going the dink should be enough. Have an EPIRB or handheld VHF in a ditch bag?

Toys?? - take snorkeling gear. Rent toys at a resort if you feel the need.
Seems like common sense to me, I agree with you
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 12:38   #4

Except for having an electric windless, I'm in perfect step with you on your notions.

I would have like to have had a watermaker on my last trip to the Bahamas, but you can certainly get by easily without one.
Old 17-06-2015, 12:46   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Seems pretty fine to me, even the manual windlass. Electrics are for wusses .

The only thing I'd really miss from your list is the asym, or some sort of light nylon sail. Maybe you have other light airs sails, but if not I'd personally push that to the top of the list. In my experience everyone talks about being prepared for the monster storms, but in reality the bigger challenge is often light airs.

Unless you're content to be a motorboat with a big stick, I'd carry some sort of light airs sails.
Old 17-06-2015, 13:10   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I'd get a sturdy arch so that you can haul the dink with the motor on. So much easier than towing or taking the motor off and laying the dink on the foredeck. The rest of the stuff I wouldn't worry about.
Old 17-06-2015, 13:16   #7
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

The only thing I'd really miss from your list is the asym, or some sort of light nylon sail. Maybe you have other light airs sails, but if not I'd personally push that to the top of the list. In my experience everyone talks about being prepared for the monster storms, but in reality the bigger challenge is often light airs.
It is always blowing stink when I'm in the Bahamas.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 14:08   #8

Boat: Lafitte 44

I went for the electric windlass...

I have a pole on the stern for radar GPS and AIS antennas so no arch possibilities.
The windlass I use to raise the dink to the foredeck, so electric helps a ton, also I used my manual one when anchored near a jetty and it was pretty nerve racking staring at the rocks.

I dont know where I want to store the spinnaker... it may stay behind...

Solar all the way

I did buy a plastic kayak, but we use it now let alone as a 2nd car when we take off.
Old 17-06-2015, 14:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
It is always blowing stink when I'm in the Bahamas.
Me, too! Of course, I'm never there in the summer.
Old 17-06-2015, 14:27   #10

Boat: Hunter 340

I agree with chopping all your listed items except one, that being the wind generator. Last winter in the Bahamas, we had lots and lots of strong north winds. I was wishing for a wind generator! Remember too that winter brings shorter daylight hours and a lower sun angle for your solar panels
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 14:31   #11

Just got back from the Bahamas a couple of days ago (was there a month). We went through 100 gallons of water in less than a week (non-sailor female who took daily fresh water showers). Then suddenly the water pump "broke" and we had to use a hand pump. We didn't even use 60 gallons the rest of the trip. Bring Joy soap (suds up in salt water) and take salt water "showers."

We towed a 10' dinghy on the banks but put it in davits when the water was rough or on the ocean. If you put the dinghy on deck, be sure it doesn't interfere with head sail sheets, especially at night. You don't want to go forward at night- particularly if you are in a blow (we had quite a few days where wind was 25 knots and higher).
CaptTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 14:52   #12

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We loved having a watermaker onboard. Nice for showers, cleaner and better for drinking than what you pay upwards of .20-.40c per gallon in alot of places. Someone just got very sick from drinking water over spent 6 days or more in a hospital.(trying to find article) But in general the water just doesnt seem as good there ,if your staying in a marina no biggie, but if on the hook alot a WM is great.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 18:17   #13
CLOD

Boat: none

I feel that once it is close to time to leave that you just stop buying upgrades! Instead do without until real life experience convinces you that an item is worth spending hard earned cash on

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-06-2015, 18:30   #14

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

The original post resonates with us because we are going through a similar process... only a month or 2 until we throw the lines, a finite budget and a myriad potential "shiny things".

We are a little lucky in that we are, more through circumstance than choice, going to have a 4 or 5 month "shakedown" cruise, with the potential to review and make changes between that and casting lines again for a longer cruise.

At this stage, of the things under consideration, we have

IN
Solar panels
AIS Class B transmit and receive
Internet booster aerial
Liferaft

OUT
Wind (but may well be retro-fitted, post shakedown)
Genset
HF Radio
Hot water (but may well be retro-fitted, post shakedown)
DSC capable radio (have perfectly functional non-DSC radios)
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 18:37   #15

Boat: csy 37

BTDT.
We are 37ft and tow a hard dinghy - Watertender 9.4 - everywhere except crossing the Gulf Stream, where we lift it on deck. Use a floating towline, but we also attach a long stainless cable as a safety backup if the line should part.
We have a manual windlass which I sometimes use to heave up the last few feet of chain and anchor. 3/8" BBB chain and a 45lb Manson Supreme. I'm in my 70's, average shape, and haul it all up by hand, although admittedly anchoring in Florida/Bahamas is in shallow water.
Spinnaker/Asym, unless you are racing, wont be missed.
Windgen was never on my list. Too many "parts". Solar is simple. I love it.
We have a Honda 1000 which can be used to top up the batteries when needed.
Dont have AIS. I might have a transmitter only if it were available, so ships can see me, but I have no time or inclination to look at a screen which only shows AIS equipped ships anyway. Crossing the Gulfstream is the only part we do at night and then all eyes are in the cockpit scanning for the lights of other vessels.
Watermaker. Not necessary IF you have water capacity for two or three weeks. If you dont, try adding cheap water storage instead of expensive mechanical monsters.
No liferaft, but have your inflatable ready to go. And an EPIRB registered with the Coast Guard.
We met a couple with kayaks in the Bahamas who had two sit ons and loved exploring in them. Its up to you.
Go. You will never regret it. And if you're with your wife or girlfriend, or both, go to the Abacos. She will love them.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, cruising, gear, icw