Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2013, 01:11   #1

Boat: Ericson 36C
Gas Regulations in Australia

Hi,
I have recently purchased a yacht (an Ericson 36C) which had been sailed to Australia by the PO and then all import done by an agent from whom I subsequently bought the yacht. To register the boat in OZ I had to disconnect the gas oven and I have been told that all the gas pipes (which are flexipipe) must be removed and replaced with copper pipe if I want the gas reconnected. I want to verify if this is correct or just a "convenient truth" for the gas fitter.

Does anyone have direct experience with this?

I have trawled through this thread but cannot find anything specific...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...alia-3346.html

The relevant standard in Australia is called "AS/NZS 5601.2:2010 part 2" which I would like to consult but you have to BUY it!! :-( It is about $150.
Does anyone know what this standard says exactly about what is and is not required regarding gas piping?

Mark.
markmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 01:50   #2

Boat: Able 50
Re: Gas regulations in Australia

There is no connection at all between Australian registration and gas systems.

Insurance - yes
Charter - yes
Sale of a new locally built boat - yes
Registration - no
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 01:50   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmyers View Post
Hi,
I have recently purchased a yacht (an Ericson 36C) which had been sailed to Australia by the PO and then all import done by an agent from whom I subsequently bought the yacht. To register the boat in OZ I had to disconnect the gas oven and I have been told that all the gas pipes (which are flexipipe) must be removed and replaced with copper pipe if I want the gas reconnected. I want to verify if this is correct or just a "convenient truth" for the gas fitter.

Does anyone have direct experience with this?

I have trawled through this thread but cannot find anything specific...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...alia-3346.html

The relevant standard in Australia is called "AS/NZS 5601.2:2010 part 2" which I would like to consult but you have to BUY it!! :-( It is about $150.
Does anyone know what this standard says exactly about what is and is not required regarding gas piping?

Mark.
I can't answer your direct question- sorry .

I can tell tell you that the gas regulations change frequently and are covered by more that one set of standards (eg home is different to caravan and perhaps caravan is different boat) and IIRC, are also stated based.

I am fairly sure (but not 100%) that all gas plumbing must be copper in a boat expect for a flexible connection to a gimballed device. I note that a very recent gas installation in a house in WA did not use copper inside the house.

A distant family member who used to be a licensed gas fitter often told me that many fitters do not keep current with the changing regs.

Hopefully more experienced members will chime in soon.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 01:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
There is no connection at all between Australian registration and gas systems.

Insurance - yes
Charter - yes
Registration - no
True but to state register the vessel (which will be required in Qld), it must comply with the gas regs. Well as I recall - could be wrong here

Any gas installation anywhere (home, boat, farm, RV etc) in Qld must comply with the regs.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 23-01-2013, 02:02   #5

Thanks for the quick responses.

Wotname you are correct that in Qld it is a requirement of registration that a current gas certificate is provided. In my case a certificate (issued by a licensed gas rep) to say the gas had been disconnected. The gas standard I quoted is relatively new and is specifically for installations in caravans or boats - "Gas installations - LP Gas installations in caravans and boats for non-propulsive purposes".
What you describe is also what I have been told but as you say the information may be out of date.
Old 23-01-2013, 02:10   #6

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

mark you may find this artical interesting go to www.hillarysyachtclub.com.au re pens and mooring by laws they lis all the AS standards for gas and they also list what is required it may be helpful
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 02:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
True but to state register the vessel (which will be required in Qld), it must comply with the gas regs. Well as I recall - could be wrong here

Any gas installation anywhere (home, boat, farm, RV etc) in Qld must comply with the regs.
Oh well, there is nothing about QLD registration in post #1
Old 23-01-2013, 02:51   #8

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Mark,
I live in NSW and just had an uprade to my gas installation. A number of things stood out. 1) There was no gas certifcation on the boat even though the boat had been built to survey originally. 2) I wanted to move gas cylinders from a cockpit locker to a new holder on the pushpit. The gas fitter (marine qualified) stated that while the existing pipework was in order ( 1/2 inch copper) the new extra length would have to be a plastic sheathed 12mm copper pipe ( relatively flexible) to be compliant with current standards.
I now have the new gas pipe plumbed in, a new gas compliance plate and peace of mind that the gas is out of the locker and vents directly to the atmosphere. Be mindful that current gas compliance is also an insurance issue. My boat was not covered for insurance if I did not disconnect the gas bottles and remove them from the boat until the boat complied with the regs. Hope this is of some assistance.
Just remembers, gas appliance here in NSW and I believe Australia must have a automatic gas turn off if the flame goes out. Our gas water heater and stove both have these.

Greg and Sue
Southerly Miss
Lake Macquarie
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 02:59   #9

Quote:
Also true
Old 23-01-2013, 03:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hi Mark,
I live in NSW and just had an uprade to my gas installation. A number of things stood out. 1) There was no gas certifcation on the boat even though the boat had been built to survey originally. 2) I wanted to move gas cylinders from a cockpit locker to a new holder on the pushpit. The gas fitter (marine qualified) stated that while the existing pipework was in order ( 1/2 inch copper) the new extra length would have to be a plastic sheathed 12mm copper pipe ( relatively flexible) to be compliant with current standards.
I now have the new gas pipe plumbed in, a new gas compliance plate and peace of mind that the gas is out of the locker and vents directly to the atmosphere. Be mindful that current gas compliance is also an insurance issue. My boat was not covered for insurance if I did not disconnect the gas bottles and remove them from the boat until the boat complied with the regs. Hope this is of some assistance.
Just remembers, gas appliance here in NSW and I believe Australia must have a automatic gas turn off if the flame goes out. Our gas water heater and stove both have these.

Greg and Sue
Southerly Miss
Lake Macquarie
Ahh... that explains why the new house installation appeared to be non-copper but I now see it is as you describe. Thanks
Old 23-01-2013, 03:30   #11

Quote:
Yes I should have been more specific
Old 23-01-2013, 03:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hi Mark,

Greg and Sue
Southerly Miss
Lake Macquarie
Thanks Greg. That is helpful. seems like the new standard is the plastic sheathed copper. I am keen to do it by the standard for the insurance reasons and yes it also means making sure all appliances have auto cutoff and an Australian compliance sticker.

Perhaps I had better re-check whether what is currently installed is just plastic pipe or in fact plastic sheathed copper (like the house in WA that Wotname mentioned). I am 5hrs from the boat so will have to check next time I am there.
Old 24-01-2013, 16:01   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

I would be positive it is plastic sheathed copper. Which you would want for peace of mind. We also shifted our gas cylinders aft, draining them overboard, and have an appliance with flame failure devices. Be sure to silver solder any connection in gas line. Ours was half the boat length and required a joint that the plumber made by expanding one tube, inserting the other and silver soldering. Peace of mind is worth the extra cost.
Old 24-01-2013, 21:05   #14

Well, there are 3 options. See attachment. I bought the Standard only to find it referred to other Standards. I then asked the Yard to find a supplier with the correct "non-metallic" hose for Aus/NZ. Its the same as in the US, but costs a little more, because it has the Aus sticker....
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 21:33   #15

Oddly enough, gas plumbing is not a live issue for registration of a private vessel in NSW or Victoria.

Tags
Australia, regulations, australia