Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 17:32   #1

Full Keels

Ok I would like to hear about everyones favorite full Keel...... I had an IF Folkboat and I pretty much would like a similair boat but in the 30-33' range.

The main reason I liked the IF so much is it was very sea kindly and could take a lot of abuse with the 50% ballast.

Which boats are very similiar? One thing I didn't like about the IF is running backstays. So Im not interested in a fractional rig.
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 19:10   #2

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI
Re: Full Keels

Take a look on Sailboatdata.com for all the specifications you are looking for on many boats made. Many full keel yachts there to compare.
Since you are interested in those in the 30'-33' range with full keels, you could compare, for instance, the Island Packets, the West Sails, CSY, etc.
Particularly look at the Morgan Out Island 33', It has basically the same underbody shape and dimensions of those mentioned but are beamier on deck, not necesarily fatter on the waterlines, very solidly built, simple masthead rigs and all rigging, large dependable engine 50 HP Perkins and large fuel and water capacities, uncommonly roomy interior and cockpit, shallow draft of 4', very strong rudder with hydraulic steering, likes to be loaded with extra weight for you to be getting close to that 50% ballast you mentioned and somehow these Morgan OI's are very underestimated by most sailors saying that they sail slow and don't point well while IP's are identical below the water and somehow sail better?. Morgan OI's prices are 1/4 of those favorite others.
Look at the full specs on Sailboatdata, compare boats you may like and you should be able to see pictures of the full keel and rudder for those you are looking for and is a great help deciding what you like best of each.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:36   #3

Isn't sail boat data a great resource. Unfortunatly my first boat was an IF so I suffer from that affliction haha. Not only am i attracted to the overall design of an IF she also has beautiful lines.

I've been looking at all the info on Sailboatdata and Bluewaterboats.org and seem to come up with the following boats I'm drawn towards.

Alber 40-35
Cabo Rico 34
Cape Dory 30-36
Hallberg-Rassy 31-35
Hans Christian 33
Island packet 31
Pacific Seacraft 31
Southern Cross 31
Tayana 37

Can anyone expand on their experience with these?
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:47   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

If you’re including the Tayana 37 then I’ll toss in my boat: a Rafiki 37. Pretty rare, but great sea boats.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:22   #5

When you have sailed an I.F. you will have a hard time finding a larger full keel boat that will sail as well and be as beautiful. Also if you like the transom hung rudder, most of the larger boats that have them tend to be tubby "so called traditional" boats the wont compare to the I.F. The Triton will seem similar and its big sister Vanguard might be to your liking. Many of the Carl Alberg boats might interest you, but not much other than a racier design will equal the I.F. I cruised a Contessa 26 which is a first cousin to an I.F. for many thousands of miles and loved it, but damn, it was small. In the Marquesas I met up with what was my dream boat (at that time) that was being delivered to Los Angeles to have a mold made from its hull. 41 foot Laurant Giles design called Lissa. Long , narrow and low, with a transom hung rudder. To me it looked like a giant Contessa. They dont build boats like that anymore because it probably didnt have any more interior room than a modern Catalina 30, but it was beautiful. If you open your choices up to a moderate fin keel and skeg hung rudder, you will have many more boats to choose from with better performance than what most people refer to as traditional. Just some ideas. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 17:13   #6

Nicholson 32 have a deep full keel with 54% ballast in them. The Mk X and MkXI are the most beautiful of the 32s. They might not be available in your part of the world though.
Here is mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9642.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	139169  
Fai Tira is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel