Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2020, 07:21   #46

Boat: Alberg 35
Re: Full Keel Sailboats

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned these boats, but they are worth looking at if you are on a budget and don't mind older designs. Alberg 30, Pearson Triton, Pearson Vanguard, Allied Seawind, Albin Vega, Cape Dory 28, Rhodes Ranger, Bristol 29. You might even be able to find a Nicholson 31-32 if you look hard enough.

Those are all traditional designed boats that will take a pounding.

I have been cruising my Alberg 35 up/around East Coast US since February. I personally find it a little cramped, but the boat more than makes up for that in seaworthiness. I feel most traditionally designed boats are like that.
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 07:38   #47

Boat: Cape Dory 28 Zephyr

I have a 1979 Cape Dory 28 that I have owned for the last 20 years. It is on the market and I have an ad in the classifieds here. http://https://www.cruisersforum.com...le-219600.html
PI Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 07:40   #48

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

If you want to lose your heart, check out an Ingrid 38.
Old 21-12-2020, 07:46   #49

Boat: Cape Dory 28 Zephyr

Let me try the link again: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...le-219600.html
PI Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 07:51   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
One thing I did forget to mention though was that I replaced my 10 hp 352 lb Bukh Diesel with a 58 lb outboard.
for home waters, your solution is fine. But a few hundred pounds isn't a major consideration for a full-keel, heavy displacement monohull. Plus the weight of the engine will be further inboard and further down in the hull, adding to ballast and reducing pitching moment. The extra grunt of a torque-y diesel swinging a larger prop deeper down adds a safety factor, and the prop walk can be useful maneuvering in tight spots. In rough seas, an outboard in a well or hung off the stern will have a disconcerting habit of rising out of the water from time to time, as well as being swamped by following seas. Then too, a diesel absolutely loves running 24/7 for days on end --- which may be desired or required more often than you might expect on long offshore passages; gasoline engines not so much (and are less fuel efficient to boot). I have even grown a bit nostalgic for the smell of a warm diesel. Guess I've been ashore too long.
captqrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 07:55   #51

Boat: Cape Dory 28; Cape Dory 30B

I would recommend looking at full keel boats built by Carl Alberg. Age of the boat would not be a large consideration rather I would look at condition, and renovations made to key components such as engine and rigging. Owning two Cape Dories (28 and 30b) it is my opinion that we will be long gone and these hulls will still be sailing the seven seas!

Cape Dories are still being made under the Robinhood brand but if you want to know the cost, then you can’t afford one. Why purchase a new version of the Cape Dory
when one can pick up a used one, ready for a summer of sailing for almost nothing! Plus half the fun is working on the boat and understanding its systems. In my opinion, know your boat and being able to work on its components is a key element in safety and boating enjoyment.

I would recommend keeping the small diesel engine and having a large capacity alternator which given power needs can also serve as a generator. During this year’s Salty Dog rally from Virginia to Antigua I found that we never used the generator but instead ran one of the two engines (Lagoon 42) to charge our bank. Generator is useless except for living on board.

V/r

Pete
psjanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 08:21   #52

Where will you sail too? Bluewater? Coastal? Ever sail a full keel before?
tgradyv7m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 08:31   #53

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by captqrunch View Post
for home waters, your solution is fine. But a few hundred pounds isn't a major consideration for a full-keel, heavy displacement monohull. Plus the weight of the engine will be further inboard and further down in the hull, adding to ballast and reducing pitching moment. The extra grunt of a torque-y diesel swinging a larger prop deeper down adds a safety factor, and the prop walk can be useful maneuvering in tight spots. In rough seas, an outboard in a well or hung off the stern will have a disconcerting habit of rising out of the water from time to time, as well as being swamped by following seas. Then too, a diesel absolutely loves running 24/7 for days on end --- which may be desired or required more often than you might expect on long offshore passages; gasoline engines not so much (and are less fuel efficient to boot). I have even grown a bit nostalgic for the smell of a warm diesel. Guess I've been ashore too long.
I like the outboard because it isn't in the boat. There are no oil or fuel leaks dropping into the bilge.

For tight spots, you cannot beat having an outboard that can turn through about 190 degrees or more. It's about like a tug boat. I can move the boat 90 degrees off center if need be.

In rough seas, outboards in the well are raised. Those hung off the stern, in my case at least will be moved to the stern railing mount since my outboard is a 5 hp and only weights around 57 lbs.

The new 5 hp 4 stroke outboards are as efficient on fuel as most diesels and I can cross the 20 miles of open bay here on about 1.3 gallons or so of gas which takes 4-5 hours sometimes

But yes, if you plan to motor a lot, a diesel would be better but I just would rather have the outboard since the diesel I had caused quite the vibration.

Also, James Baldwin sailed RTW with an outboard and many others have crossed oceans with an outboard only.

And I paid $1550 for my new outboard in 2011.

The outboard is totally stand alone also unless I decide to use the external tank. There are no cables hooked to it. It has no alternator. All my power comes from solar.

And there's no prop drag with an outboard when sailing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atom.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	229043   Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	229050  

Name:	B27.4.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	465.8 KB
ID:	229051   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00130.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	450.9 KB
ID:	229052  

Name:	DSC00131.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	451.4 KB
ID:	229053  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 08:36   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour E 43
Send a message via Skype™ to WolfgangSeaLife

with a fin keel I hit a tree trunk and was torpedoed forward, just flew past the mast. Would be impossible to pass the Dismal Swamp route.
But makes turning when tacking fast and easy, better for racing.
Deep draft below 5 or 6 feet is too tricky to pass the ICW.

With my full keel, often, I grounded softly, also made shallow passages in the Bahamas. In tacking make sure you turn smooth and fast or you stop the boat.
WolfgangSeaLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 08:41   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfgangSeaLife View Post
with a fin keel I hit a tree trunk and was torpedoed forward, just flew past the mast. Would be impossible to pass the Dismal Swamp route.
But makes turning when tacking fast and easy, better for racing.
Deep draft below 5 or 6 feet is too tricky to pass the ICW.
What? Plenty of people cruise the dismal swamp in fin keels. I know a couple boats recently that just did it in fin keels with 6' draft. No need to scare people.

Any boat with 6' or less keel can easily do ICW so long as you watch your tides/pay attention. I ran aground softly 3 times on my way up but that was only due to me not paying attention.
Old 21-12-2020, 08:54   #56

You're fine with around 6' of keel on the ICW. If I could do it, anyone can. I wouldn't go much past 6' but that is just my opinion. Obviously you won't be able to get into a lot of marinas.

The Cape Dory another user posted as for sale in this thread would be an outstanding first boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BD78C35A-18CC-4AEC-BADF-226F6971B8D9.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	229059   Click image for larger version

Name:	27B7893F-2C08-473A-9817-4E8962C3D9DA.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	450.4 KB
ID:	229060  

Old 21-12-2020, 08:57   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour E 43
Send a message via Skype™ to WolfgangSeaLife

Dismal swamp: I draw 5 ft with full keep Endeavour 43 and hit a tree 13 times in the dismal swamp when park forecast was 7 ft depth.
On the ICW I got stuck once or twice most years in NC, Georgia, SC, and inside in the Florida Keys. Always got off in reverse.
Last time I hit a rock that had rolled down from the embankment into the channel in the ICW in SC. Although slowing down on encountering a tourist ship, a fin keel could have been catastrophic.
With a fin keel deeper than 6 feet I would stay outside all the way.
WolfgangSeaLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 09:11   #58

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

You don't mention your budget or location.

If your budget is small and your location is the U.S. West Coast you can pick up a Rawson 30 for a song.

Manufactured in Seattle by a fishing boat builder, Ron Rawson, I had the pilothouse version and loved it- heavy bulletproof build (ferro cement hull) that sailed well (enough) and handled all the worst conditions of SF Bay and Pacific Coast in relative comfort and safety.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 09:13   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfgangSeaLife View Post
Dismal swamp: I draw 5 ft with full keep Endeavour 43 and hit a tree 13 times in the dismal swamp when park forecast was 7 ft depth.
On the ICW I got stuck once or twice most years in NC, Georgia, SC, and inside in the Florida Keys. Always got off in reverse.
Last time I hit a rock that had rolled down from the embankment into the channel in the ICW in SC. Although slowing down on encountering a tourist ship, a fin keel could have been catastrophic.
With a fin keel deeper than 6 feet I would stay outside all the way.
You're lucky you didn't snap off your rudder then. Isn't the E43 a long fin with a skeg hung rudder?

I have hit branches/logs going through the ICW, but those that I hit were floating. Also going slow helps keep anything catastrophic from occurring. Use Bob423 tracks. You can always ask the locals when you stop for fuel about any tricky areas, or even hail the boats traveling before you. Most cruisers are glad to offer info.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ECE69C3E-D2DE-4198-ABC5-849691A5CA7D.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	229061  
Old 21-12-2020, 09:44   #60

Hi from Panama where we’ve sailed 3000 miles on our beloved 1973 Formosa 41 full keel

Purchased for $30k with an intense refit already completed including house rebuild, teak decks removed and glassed and engine + tranny overhaul

50 year old Perkins 4.107 has over 12000 hours and runs fine

If you’re going long distance blue water and value comfort and safety over speed and like a classic look this is it
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	57132959-0E03-4F1C-8AB1-DDCC9DFBF9DC.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	229064   Click image for larger version

Name:	271AA04B-DC78-4992-9A1A-E30D328BDE00.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	229065  

Name:	26A50B64-769F-40F4-A2E0-BA9D1E054B59.jpeg