Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2015, 21:47   #136

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Frustrated finding a boat. help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemind View Post
K, The best I could do was find an ad for one that had it listed at 48'.
Considering the penalty of being wrong on this, I would strongly suggest that you take a tape measure and check it yourself. Masts are known to vary somewhat from factory specs, both as delivered by the factory and due to modifications over the years. Perhaps the surveyor would help you with this simple task.

Jim
Old 16-10-2015, 04:18   #137

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

Yes measure the mast and get exact height. I would not step the mast if it's really close. Think a few inches. You can lower the boat in the water by adding weight. Full fuel, full water tanks, get 10 heavy friends, just get it down a couple inches. Stop at a pub before the bridge and offer to buy a beer for all those who will go for a short ride with you. Put all those new friends on one side and a heeled boat is less tall. I would only step the mast if I had a clearance issue of 6 inches or more.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 08:31   #138

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

Well, it's all moot for the pearson 365. It didn't pass the initial inspection.

So, time to step back a little, breath deep, slow down, save, and consider options carefully.

The good news is we now know a surveyor that has proven he will watch out for us and is easy to work with.

I don't know legalities for any disclosure beyond that, so will refrain for now.
Freemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 09:37   #139

Boat broke down while being inspecyed. Tranny. We are passong. Had an honest surveyor checking it out that could have screwed us big time any step of the way. If need someone in miami area would be happy to share contact info
Crisco41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 09:41   #140

And I want to thank everyone for the advice and such you have given. Hoping the next one we find will be our girl
Crisco41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 09:46   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco41 View Post
And I want to thank everyone for the advice and such you have given. Hoping the next one we find will be our girl
i hope so, too, as I know everyone here does.

Just a dose of reality: don't plan on it.

You have a great surveyor, a wonderful starting point.

Many of us have looked for "our boat" for more than the time you've spent so far, and I doubt many of us have been lucky enough on the first go or two. We spent an entire year, and were only looking for one specific boat, so YMMV.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 14:08   #142

Boat: TBD 36

Probably just as well. The Pearson's SA/ D ratio of 13 indicates it is is not the best choice for a light air boat.

Sent from my HTCONE using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
findrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 22:50   #143

Just tossing in my tiny bit of experience.

When I got bit by the cruising bug I knew I had at least ten years to plan. I bout a 7 days to cruising book to start out learning. In the beginning of the book they suggest starting with a dinghy. I went out that week and bought a 15 foot coronado. Boy AM I glad I did. That boat was fun and great to learn on. I had no idea how afraid of the water I could be lol.

My wife never got comfortable with it ad I knew next year I was going to want a keel boat so her and our new daughter could go sailing with me without the threat of turtle all the time. I got lucky with a great deal on a chrysler 20 ft sing keel. What a difference. My Lil 15 ft coronado could run circles around this boat. I am so glad to have the experience on both these boats. After my second year of sailing I am still afraid of the water and have not gone past 5.5knots yet. I can not imagine a 30+ foot boat yet. I want to keep my 20's rails in the water and be comfy before moving up.

I plan on going to a 25 to 26 something after this up coming season is over so we can camp overnight.

I sail in colorado. The wind can be crazy there. Constantly varies direction and speed.

I can not wait to see what it is like 5o handle something as big as 35 or more.

I have wondered a few things. Can my 20 ft keel boat put the sails in the water with to much power or would it round up first.

Has anyone started their sailing career on a large 30+ for boat and hat was it like.

Good luck on your hunt. Buy an 800 15 ft to play with while looking it is a ton of fun and great way to.learn how.to.find the wind.
handsonautotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 02:10   #144

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
I got lucky with a great deal on a chrysler 20 ft swing keel. What a difference. My Lil 15 ft coronado could run circles around this boat. I am so glad to have the experience on both these boats.
I think this is the best way to start sailing. Although always a consideration when sailing any size boat, one has a much more intimate relationship with wind and wave when sailing a small boat. Look at the sailing greats and you will find most of them started racing on boats like Sunfish or Tempest.

I started with a 11 foot Snark. Bought it when Woolco went out of business for $250. I sailed it a lot and learned a lot. It was a joy to sail.

I think you will find many people go right out and buy a 30-40 footer. I think they do not think in terms of learning to sail as much as what is comfortable and what will impress their friends and family. Personally speaking, I think they are missing an important step to sailing and will never know how it feels to zip along down on the water, spray in the air, at the mercy of wind and wave. No motor to get you back.

You are probably ready for a bigger boat much more so than most. Your fear of the water will subside when you feel how solid a larger boat sails. I laugh when I hear people talk about fear when heeled at anything past 20 degrees or when waves get past 3 feet. Had they learned on a truly small boat, their fear would not kick in until waves were much taller than their boat and their boat was heeled at 40 degrees, rails buried in the water. Respect for wind and wave, always, but fear, rarely. Good luck with any future purchase you may make.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease