Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2019, 07:59   #1

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate
Freya 39 Line Drawings

Anybody ever seen a set of drawings for the Halverson Freya 39?

I have been toying with the idea of modeling a boat out in Solidworks (3D design software) and would love the chance to draw this boat as its one of my favorites.

Any hints, tips or links appreciated.

I know Gannon sold some that were bare hull, I was hopping they would have included some interior drawings that might have the half breadths with those materials..

Thanks everyone! This forum is awesome.
Old 15-01-2019, 13:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Freya 39 Line Drawings

Try the Halvorsen Club of Australia

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 14:58   #3

Thank you Gord, I sent an inquiry through their contact form as they are not allowing registration to their forum at this time.

I searched and got zero hits on a "Freya". I will cross my fingers.
Old 15-01-2019, 20:44   #4

I don't know if either of these will help:

Freya 39 - Link 1

Freya 39 - Link 2
Cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 03:46   #5

Thank you posting that Cleo. Those all fun links.
What I am specifically looking for though looks like this:

Old 16-01-2019, 10:20   #6

Here is what you need to get started:

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/freya-39

you have a profile that will enable you to get a start on the sheer plan, also called "the buttocks" plan, and you have an accommodation plan from which you can derive the half-breadth plan.

What you don't have is anything from which you can develop the body plan of the lines. So fake it! Draw a "wine glass" section at the half length station, station 5, and conform it to the dimensions of station 5 on the sheer plan and the half breadth plan. Once you've done that, you can continue to develop a full lines plan from this data you already have.

For the purpose of building a model that will give you results so close that NO-ONE will be able to tell that you didn't have the actual lines from the designer.

Developing a full set of lines will take you about forty or fifty hours. It is not difficult. Just tedious. Doing it will also make you a better, more insightful sailor, let alone a more competent draftsman :-)!

Good luck with it :-)!

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 10:31   #7

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Ask Pam Wall. She must have all this, as she own such a boat:
https://www.pamwall.com/
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 18:01   #8

Boat: Halvorsen Freya 42
Talking Re: Freya 39 Line Drawings

Wow! I rarely check my emails lately. But it's quite incredible...as the most recent custodian of a Halvorsen Freya 42 (launched in 1984) - my partner and I have been discovering many wonderful drawings, sail plans, tech drawings and photos of the original build and specs. If you can give me some time I will happily feed them your way. Ours is a Corten Steel/Stainless Steel version - built by the original owner Michael Foley with the assistance of Horst Diegnamm himself. Feel free to email me too of course. From the good ship MEROPS
BunnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 18:15   #9

Boat: Halvorsen Freya 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
Anybody ever seen a set of drawings for the Halverson Freya 39?

I have been toying with the idea of modeling a boat out in Solidworks (3D design software) and would love the chance to draw this boat as its one of my favorites.

Any hints, tips or links appreciated.

I know Gannon sold some that were bare hull, I was hopping they would have included some interior drawings that might have the half breadths with those materials..

Thanks everyone! This forum is awesome.
I can't wait to show you the hand drawn cabin sketches and photos. Stay tuned...
BunnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 20:35   #10

Boat: Flicka 20

WOW! Corten steel, my dream hull material. Off subject but I didn’t know any production boats were made of Corten steel. I’d love to have one someday. In the mean time I’ll have to stick with fiberglass.

CaptainJohn49
CaptainJohn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 20:51   #11

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

did a Sydney Hobart in a steel Freya 39 'Weatherly'......1970......hove to in Bass Strait in 70 knots.....she is still around...….someone will know where she is now....if no one responds here try an enquiry in the Australian 'Afloat' magazine......and maybe measure the real thing.
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 14:00   #12

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Now this:- https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/freya-39 … looks suspiciously similar to a f/g boat produced by a Kiwi named Peter Randle, & Passage Boat Works … long since gone … of Coquitlam, B.C. Canada. Their boat was called a 'Fast Passage 39'.
Might be interesting to see if there is any relationship in the design.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 14:22   #13

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

...'Weatherly' the Freya 39 was an entrant in the Sydney Hobart 2018.....shown as owned by a sailor with the same surname as the original owner....has to be 'in the family'...….with drawings?...….maybe the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia would provide contact details.....or forward a request.....
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 19:01   #14

SailorBob:

Well, no. The only similarity twixt the Freya 39 and the Fast Passage 39 is that they are both 39 foot sailboats with two pointy ends ;-)

The FP 39 was designed by that doyen of yacht designers, William Garden, while was King of Toad's Landing off Sydney, B.C., and the early ones were all built by Philbrook's Yard in Sydney, with the interior joinerwork done if not BY the esteemed Danish shipwright Bent Jespersen, then under his oversight.

I seem to have a dim recollection that Tolleycraft built a few, but I know nothing about them, or even if I remember correctly.

Despite having lived in Coquitlam during the relevant years I have no recollection of FPs being built there. Can you enlighten me? After all, the FP is one of my favourites :-)

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 13:03   #15

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Hey there TrentePieds, the builder I'm referring to was 'Passage Boatworks' located on the east side of School Street, just a block or so north of Lougheed Hwy. Back in the '80's they were building two boats. That was when I was dealing with them on the purchase of the smaller 24 footer. About a year after I bought my Passage 24, I received a leaflet by mail, offering a special deal they were pedalling for the larger boat, on which a sale had fallen through. i'm sure it was called a Fast Passage, but maybe it wasn't 39' … so long ago, my memory dims. The fellow I dealt with was Peter Randle, a Kiwi. He was the actual builder, who later closed shop & returned to NZ. As well, a local n.a. Graham Shannon was involved with them in the marketing of both boats. The larger boat had a 'rounded' canoe type stern, not unlike a Fisher motor-sailor … IF I'm remembering correctly. I did have a line-drawing sales leaflet for it, but not sure if it is still in my possession. I'll search my collection when I visit the boat this coming week, & post a copy of it providing I'm successful in finding it although, I started throwing a lot of old paperwork out last year & it may have been a casualty of my ill thought enthusiasm for housecleaning.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote