Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2019, 05:55   #16

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate
Re: Freya 39 Line Drawings

Everyone: Thank you for your help and support. Some cool history between the two designs.

TrentePieds: I think I follow what your saying, but I am not feeling confident I would get out what I am looking for. It seems like I would be making a lot of assumptions and inferences and what I wanted was an accurate rendition. Although it appears as though that is my only remaining option unless BunnyM comes through as time moves on.

Crossing my fingers! Thanks again everyone.
Old 30-01-2019, 16:38   #17

Boat: Halvorsen Freya 42

Just curious as to why you are wanting to do a CAD drawing? Are you looking into building your own Freya?
BunnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 17:57   #18

Hi Bunny,

No I am not interested in building a Freya. It seems silly (bad economy) to try to build a boat that can be purchased used and re-habbed to "like new" for so much less.

It honestly just happens to be one of my favorite designs, for many personal reasons. There are plenty of threads discussing and arguing about boat design preferences and for me, the Freya holds a great balance of the design characteristics that I value.

The 3D model for me was a chance to simply play in Solidworks. I do not believe I am currently capable of designing my own hull form as I have never studied naval architecture or yacht design. Although I have built and repaired boats for about a decade and so have some grasp of the basic ideas. I was interested in modeling a boat that I really like because I considered it a great challenge to model something that large and complicated and if I really liked it, that may be a great aid in my motivation. Also in case you missed my initial post, I recently finished a certificate program in computer aided design and drafting so there is some advantages of doing a model this complicated for experience reasons.

Thank you for reaching out! Feel free to ask anything you like.
Old 04-02-2019, 19:23   #19

Hiya! I just found a stash. My email is mzchiefrabbit@gmail.com. I will try to clearly photograph them and attach photos here. But email may work better. Cheers. BunnyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
Everyone: Thank you for your help and support. Some cool history between the two designs.

TrentePieds: I think I follow what your saying, but I am not feeling confident I would get out what I am looking for. It seems like I would be making a lot of assumptions and inferences and what I wanted was an accurate rendition. Although it appears as though that is my only remaining option unless BunnyM comes through as time moves on.

Crossing my fingers! Thanks again everyone.
Old 04-02-2019, 19:35   #20

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

When I started building a 60’ Freya I actually had a lengthy conversation with Trigve Halvorsen who confessed he did not have complete plans for Freya but gave me copies of what he had which included full line drawings, some detailed drawings and minor sketches.

I used these to construct a 3’ model of the hull out of wood strips. I gave the plans to Horst who would still have them I am sure.

The model I made is dust but still in a shed. You are welcome to it if you want to arrange collection. PM mr for details
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:02   #21

BunnyM: Email sent!

Stillbuilding: I had no idea a 60ft Freya existed, how awesome is that! Do you have the story posted up any place? Blog, thread or otherwise? I would really enjoying learning more about that project.

My wife and I chased our BenBow Cutter through a few different owners and the last owner went above and beyond to help us. As a thank you gift (he was not keen to sell her) I built a small fiberglass model, and it was not a small investment of time, so I greatly appreciate your offer knowing what it took to make that happen. I will speak with my wife about it.
We are "Bahama's bound" this fall and at the moment have been making some diligent effort to scale back our possession of non-life-critical items. ...but... haha

I said it in my first post, this community is awesome. When I first got into sailing 6-8 years ago it helped me tremendously and is still doing the same today. Thank you so much you guys!
Old 05-02-2019, 13:27   #22

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

there was a yacht built named 'Banjo Paterson'......after the famous Australian poet....which was some 60 feet....as a direct result of that owner being so impressed with the performance of 'Weatherly'.....a Freya 39......in a Sydney Hobart race...….'Banjo Paterson' went on to become one of the first charter yachts operating from Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays …….in the Great Barrier Reef...…..
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:11   #23

“Banjo Patterson” traded out of Hamilton Island with Indigo Cruises and was up for sale a few years back.

“Infinity” is same dimensions and cruised out of Vanuatu for a while and is now in my hands after falling into disrepair and being remodelled topsides and internally.

My 66’ is in corten steel and about to be commissioned. Horst and I elected a bit more beam for the extra length was in order.

Lovely yachts to sail but decent draft, monohull and canoe stern probably leaves them in the hands of afficionados these days.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:33   #24

I think that is just as well. Aficionados care and love the machines they have and thats a good place for any machine to end up, in the hands of someone who wants to keep it going.

I think the 39 is a great size for a crew of two, I noticed that most boats at the docks do not leave very often and the boats above 40ft almost never leave and I have lived in marina's off and on for years. Awesome to hear that these boats are still sought after and cared for!
Old 18-06-2019, 11:34   #25

Well...I have looked thoroughly around my Freya 42 for drawings. I do not have the plans. But you can find everything I have at Halvorsen Freya 42 - Home or at the Facebook page Halvorsen Freya 42. We are actually putting “Merops” on the market. So there are lots of pictures...some fantastic videos of the hull, and some cabin drawings for you to look at. Enjoy!
Old 20-11-2019, 00:14   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
Anybody ever seen a set of drawings for the Halverson Freya 39?

I have been toying with the idea of modeling a boat out in Solidworks (3D design software) and would love the chance to draw this boat as its one of my favorites.

Any hints, tips or links appreciated.

I know Gannon sold some that were bare hull, I was hopping they would have included some interior drawings that might have the half breadths with those materials..

Thanks everyone! This forum is awesome.

Look what I found you.... https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/d...-6288185/?Cr=0
Old 20-11-2019, 01:57   #27

Boat: Flicka

Besides the Gannon Freya another nice but rare fg version was made in the SF bay . It was called the Golden Gate 40 (based on the Halversen 39). Amazing build quality. Same company made the Norwest 33 and Farallon 29.
boatnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 15:49   #28

Hey Bunny,
Thanks for your support in my search. I appreciate you looking for those drawings.
I am not interested in a steel boat though and that one looks like it needs more than I would be interested in giving any boat.

Boatnerd, that’s a cool fact I did not know. I will look those up for sure!

Still lurking around for a set of drawings to model one off if anyone knows of some.
Thank you al again for your time! Happy sailing!
Old 21-11-2019, 16:29   #29

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

.…...it may be that a half model would be in the ownership of the CYCA in Rushcutters Bay, Sydney...…..many of the Sydney Hobart Race winners were memorialised that way...…....maybe the lines could be taken from that?...…….
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 05:01   #30

As noted ages ago, I do have a model of Freya which I made in the early stages of planning to build. Made from 3mm hoop pine if memory is accurate. Painted white.

Is a while ago but I think these are the lines that I bought off Trigve Halvorsen in his last years. Quite a few Freya knock offs of various sizes have been built but I think I was the only owner who actually paid him a modest fee for his plans - the princely sum of $300 in the mid 80,s.

I gave the plans to Horst Diegmann and I am sure he would still have them.

The model is in my shed in Aust and is a little under three ft in length from memory.

You are welcome to it if you can arrange collection.