Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2022, 00:16   #106

Boat: Freedom 28M
Re: Freestanding mast opinions wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcunninghamii View Post
is this a Mull? Must be if an 87? What is the hull#?

Glad you found your boat, make sure to bookmark Freedom Yachts board.
Yes it is a Mull, hull#26 and in outstanding shape. The crane crew broke my anemometer when stepping my mast, so I will replace that with a newer wireless setup in the spring. I recently picked up a new Whale manual bilge, and will install new propane lines and a Worthington propane tank as well, but other than that everything is in ship shape.
I am a member of the Freedom Yacht forum and would not feel as confidant as I do about sailing and maintaining "Appeal To Heaven" without the help I have received there. I stepped the mast and commissioned her myself, and could not have done that without them.
After idling at the dock for a few minutes after launch I proceeded to sail her on a ten hour voyage home , which had me searching for my mooring with my headlamp at 10pm in a bay full of rocks and shoals. It was meant to be.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:12   #107

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

TPI knew how to build a really strong vessel. The sail boats they built for the Navy Annapolis school were ballistic. The sea trial was in a full gale.
The mast testing story would take pages to tell. They were built so strong testing to failure was impossible in the shop. I never liked balsa or any cored hull. The early cat ketch boats were strong and good sailing boats. If you look at the history of American Sail Fishing boats, you’ll see why men working in small boats offshore liked the rig. My grandfather’s boat had four unstated masts. Tall for summer, short for winter. Removable stone ballast. Trusted her more than a lot of modern designs I built. Off No Mans Land, the Atlantic in winter is as nasty as it gets and Fore and Aft free standing rig was designed to take it.
I’ve got a lot of strings holding up the sticks. Lots of things to fail. Every boat design is a compromise and everything in it as well.
I’d feel safe taking one of the early TPI cat ketch boats off soundings. Maybe not to the arctic, but I’d build that design in aluminum any day.
Lot of noise in the posts from people who have never built anything. TPI built good boats and low cost, boats. Nothing wrong with free standing spars nor cat ketch boats. Just my professional opinion.
Captain Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:59   #108

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of this tread and I am happy to say the first season on my 1987 Freedom 28 has been a real joy and I have 20 more days until she is hauled to the hard. When I first posted for opinions I would have never believed that I would have found the kind of sailboat I was inquiring about so fast, and right in my backyard for a price I could afford.
Yes the Mull designed Freedoms are pretty nice boats. That 28 is sweet.

I think all the TPI boats are pretty well constructed although I believe I once saw some serious hull delam on one foam core 36' race boat from them (it was fixed). I think it can happen to any cored boat, but it is not common or usually serious.

However the problems I see with wishbone boom free standing masts, such as most Freedoms, are performance issues, mostly lack of windward ability, and I just don't like the idea of that big mass of folded sailcoth hanging up there in the wishbone when the sails are down; it's too much windage too high and too hard to access for crew on deck. In my opinion.

But I know that lots of owners and sailors love them. A close relative lived aboard and cruised a Freedom 40 Ketch for over a decade and they were strong advocates. I've sailed with them and mostly agree with them, but still have the reservations I just mentioned.

Today I spoke with Randy Repass about his free standing wishbone boom ketch (not a Freedom). He arrived here today spoke of a good trip although his steering failed and he had to complete the passage using auto pilot.

So, boats are boats.
Old 05-10-2022, 15:36   #109

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Bruce King had a wishbone ketch as his personal yacht.
Not free standing spars.
I don’t like wishbone booms but only because they can’t support a manatee crew as a hammock. That didn’t stop my crew.
They’d hide in the folds and jump out and scare kids straight out of their top sliders on Halloween.
I told them that was too mean but they replied “sailing is a athletic activity or a sedentary..no activity sport..or both.”
You really don’t want to anchor near us.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 15:55   #110

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Bruce King had a wishbone ketch as his personal yacht.
Not free standing spars.
I don’t like wishbone booms but only because they can’t support a manatee crew as a hammock. That didn’t stop my crew.
They’d hide in the folds and jump out and scare kids straight out of their top sliders on Halloween.
I told them that was too mean but they replied “sailing is a athletic activity or a sedentary..no activity sport..or both.”
You really don’t want to anchor near us.
Mark
Mark, are you going to throw that out every time I post in any thread you are also in? It is coming close to violating the forum rules.
Old 06-10-2022, 00:47   #111

Boat: Freedom 28M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

However the problems I see with wishbone boom free standing masts, such as most Freedoms, are performance issues, mostly lack of windward ability, and I just don't like the idea of that big mass of folded sailcoth hanging up there in the wishbone when the sails are down; it's too much windage too high and too hard to access for crew on deck. In my opinion.
The traditional boom is what put the 28 Mull on top of my list. I was keenly aware that my first sailboat would come with a steep learning curve and I would need to utilize every resource available, internet, books, and in the flesh sailors, with vast the majority, almost exclusively, focused on the traditional sloop rigged main.
I do like the quasi cat main sail on the Mull Freedom as it is quite a bit bigger and further forward than those on a typical 28. I have sailed without raising my jib and she tacks just fine without excessive weather helm.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, wanted