Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2012, 10:32   #1

Freedom Cat Ketch Boat - Any good?

As I have been very actively looking for my ideal boat, I try to keep an open mind but stay within the limited criteria for what would best suit my needs.
I am looking for a seaworthy boat that is also a capable liveaboard. My ideal size is between 27-33 feet, I restrict my search to boats of this size for a number of reasons, including, cost of ongoing maintenance, cost of refitting/repairs, slip costs, and ease of single handed sailing.
I have looked at several boats ranging from C&C's, Beneteau, Westerly, Rhodes Chesapeake, Alberg, Cape Dory, Hunter, Com-Pac, Island Pacific, and others.
Now, I am off to look at a Freedom 28 Cat Ketch. This really intrigues me as I initially wanted a Cat Rig because it is so easy to sail and the rigging allows for extra cabin room since the mast is forward.
However, I only know that Freedom yachts generally carry a good name and a good reputation for well built boats. But, I can find nothing that offers information about the 28 foot Cat Ketch.
Like any other boat that old, I know I should pay attention to potential core rot but are the boats good sailers? Are they bluewater seaworthy or only coastal/weekend/day sailers?
If anyone has any experience, I would greatly appreciate their stories and opinions.
Notpopeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 14:07   #2

Re: Freedom Cat Ketch Boat - Any good?

I have not personally sailed on one, but have seen a few out sailing during my trips on the East Coast. Appear to be a pretty decent sailing boat from the perspective that they were keeping up with whatever else was sailing in the vicinity.

Did you go see one for sale? Where? What was your impression of the quality of construction and fit and finish?

Looks to be an interesting type for coastal sailing with a cbd. Bit much freeboard versus hull under the water (masswise) for my tastes for offshore use though.
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 14:34   #3
Marine Service Provider

A guy named Al McDiarmid did about 35,000 miles in a 28 cat ketch singlehanded and much of it engineless. I could be off on the mileage figure and I haven't spoken with Al in years. Might be worth tracking him down. We used to own a Freedom 39 cat ketch that was a Ron Holland hull design. The 33's are nice and I think would be better if you are sailing with 2 or more people.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 21:24   #4

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandplanet View Post
A guy named Al McDiarmid did about 35,000 miles in a 28 cat ketch singlehanded and much of it engineless. I could be off on the mileage figure and I haven't spoken with Al in years. Might be worth tracking him down.
Resurrecting an old thread, but i now own Al’s old boat, Broad Reacher. She’s a little sad at this point, but she’s got good bones and a great history. We’re bringing her back a little bit at a time.
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 21:48   #5

Boat: Freedom 38

Very cool. Congrats!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 15:19   #6

Boat: 1980 freedom 33 and 2005 hunter 41

I had a freedom 33 (uk35) kat ketch centerboard. I did several overnight trips over 70 miles offshore. Very good balanced easy to rig sailboat. Make sure the mast are carbon fiber, and they are in good shape. She was faster than any catalina hunter jennau etc. of the same size.
captprogreso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 17:40   #7

Boat: Freedom 38

Oh heck, you're in SF Bay. Even more super cool! Are you on the Freedom forum? We have quite the contingent of Freedom owners in the area now. There's also a recently purchased Freedom 30 that I've heard about. I also just noticed an F25 listed on Lat38 classifieds.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 18:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Oh heck, you're in SF Bay. Even more super cool! Are you on the Freedom forum? We have quite the contingent of Freedom owners in the area now. There's also a recently purchased Freedom 30 that I've heard about. I also just noticed an F25 listed on Lat38 classifieds.
I am on the forums-actually came in last year, but life and an ill parent took precedence. My boat was in the Latitude classifieds for a couple months. My time is slightly more my own now, and I'm starting work on Reacher in earnest. Goal is to clean up the decks, rigging, and down below, then move her from Antioch (fresh water, at least) to Berkeley for a haulout and a new home. I have SHTP aspirations, but probably not until '22.

I want to hear the story of your race. Libations on me at Quinn's.
Old 09-04-2019, 19:01   #9

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

I've sailed the Freedom 28 Cat Ketch on numerous occasions. Love the boat. Am looking to change boats next year and this one is at the top of my list.
Teknishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 20:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post
I've sailed the Freedom 28 Cat Ketch on numerous occasions. Love the boat. Am looking to change boats next year and this one is at the top of my list.
Seems like there are always a couple for sale, in various states of (dis)repair. It's a BIG 28-footer, in my opinion. There's a Catalina 27 in the berth next to mine, and the Freedom cabin-top is at least 18" higher off the water.