Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2014, 11:07   #16

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Re: Free Sailboat Project

When I was a kid we had one of there buried up the the water line in our play ground. It was the best playground ever. Swings, monkey bars and a boat, what more could a kid want? Ours had paint though....
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 12:03   #17

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/4621759783.html

Here's a Tanzer 22 for sail in the Detroit area for $1950 which wouldn't be a bad pocket cruiser for the Great Lakes. Just adding an engine, sails, roller furling and cushions (that this boat has) to your project boat and you would be well over $1950.

Unless you just love the boat or love the work, I'd pass and start sailing tommorrow. There's always going to be work that needs doing on an older boat anyways, project boat or no. (I have nothing to do with that Tanzer btw).
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 12:32   #18

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Anyway, back to the original question:

The boat has a registration number - it should have a title. You should have legal documentation showing that you have legally purchased this boat from the legal owner, or track down it's true owner and get them to give you title. In the past, I've had to offer a small remuneration to the previous owner, who suddenly realizes that he is still in possession of the property.

If you don't have that, you may have to apply for a salvage title. In any case, you should be able to track the boat's make, model, and serial number through it's registration. Part of that process will include an investigation for theft reports (I think).

In the worst case, and I don't think it will come this, but SOMEWHERE on that boat is an indication of when it was made, and by whom. It SHOULD be molded into the glasscoat, but might be a sticker or plate which might be illegible or lost. A part number on one of the hardware components can also give you clues.

Seriously though, you ought to be able to track this through the registration very easily.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 12:32   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You bought the boat, but is your state a title state, and did you buy the title, assigned through a lien and court order?

If you don't have good title, you can put the boat back in Bristol condition, and then the owner can walk up and take it back from you. And have you arrested, to boot.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat