Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2020, 15:11   #1

Free boat. Sounds great but ...

So i have my hooks into a free aluminium hull 34 foot sailing vessel for free. Sounds great right? Pictures show her looking a bit rough but honestly not bad. Problem is she's in another country
( pandemic) i wont be flying over to look it over myself any time soon. So let's just say for the sake of it we had jobs to do before we could get her in the water and start sailing from Spain to ireland.

I have offers for transport around €12k but im starting to think if the work could be done between 12-20k then why not do it. And bring her home myself.

I want to know what would be the essential jobs and what would it cost (ball park figures) now just the basics

In my mind im thinking
Survey first
Engine service (engine runs) along with gearbox,
Prop shaft and all the mechanics in between.
Standing rigging ( apparently was replaced a few years back)... but rather safe than sorry
Running rigging
New sails
Under water line paint
Replace through hulls etc.
Service deck hardware
Bilge pumps .

Then my mind run's blank 😪

Thank you in advance
Dphibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 15:29   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Free boat. Sounds great but ...

You need someone familiar with the complexities of this particular design, the cost of required materials in Spain, the rate for labor in Spain, etc. It has often been stated the most expensive yacht you will ever own is one you are given for free. Good luck.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3 cabin, 4 people, 45ft, Aluminium, Bluewater, boat, boat maintenance, boat works, bubble & Jesse, center cockpit, engine, family cruising, FREE, free boat, maintenance, mediterranean, ocean crossing, paint, sailing vessel, sails, solid, teak deck