Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2014, 13:03   #16

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor
Re: Forward or Aft for Main Cabin

On Rajah Laut, the owner's cabin is forward but the head position on the berth is abeam the mast compression post. Depending on sea state this berth is completely acceptable. Obviously when sailing into the wind it gets a bit noisy but otherwise quite delightful.

I believe in all of Steve Dashew's current and past production boats the owners cabin is forward.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 13:26   #17

Aft cabin is the way to go but I think their are exceptions. A lot of smaller boats in particular don't have aft cabins or their aft cabins are very cramped.
I have a centre cockpit with a beautiful aft cabin full of brass, carved teak wood and a large sky light. But a lot of 35's do not have great aft cabins because they are under the cockpit and you don't get standing head room. My neighbours can't stand up right in the aft cabin of their 38 production boat.
Coincidentally, we are required to move to the forward cabin for out next trip because we're giving the aft cabin to my brother and his gf, because we're building a little loft bedroom over our deep freeze for our little guy in the salon and we wanted to be closer to him.
5 people on a 35 foot boat for six months, should be pretty interesting.
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 14:09   #18

OK so obviously air in the aft cabin is a major consideration. The question then in my head as a novice sailor is "is a centre cockpit a drawback from a sailing perspective", I read they can be a bit wetter under way ??
Star Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 14:17   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

In the tropics/warm weather, ventilation is the major consideration. Forward berths are naturally breezy and adding a windscoop makes them truly cool. Aft cabins, buried at the back of the boat, usually have very poor natural circulation. Few have the generating/battery capacity to air condition even a small cabin.

Had a very simple pup tent like awning made for the foredeck. Awning tied to the forestay for the peak, wings to the lifelines, and laid across the deck aft of the hatch to make a windcatcher as well as sunshade. Worked a treat through a Tahiti summer.

Forward berths are terrible berths at sea however unless you like negative 'G'. Aft berths are more comfortable but still not as good as amidship. Think most people use the midship berths for passage making.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 14:24   #20

I think it's really a matter of personal preference. My centre cockpit is very dry, even without my full enclosure, just because the boat is a very dry design. High free board double ender. We rarely get spray on deck.
Plus my aft cabin has 6 and a half feet of head room in a 35' boat, plus a large opening sky light in both cabins. So centre cockpit clearly has some pluses.
My biggest complaint about my centre cockpit isn't that it's wet, but that its quite small. Fine for mainly cruising but not great for entertaining crowds. Plus the companionway is steep and far, so a problem if you have a four legged friend (like my basset hound). Also hard for guests to climb.
Higher performance boats almost invariably have aft cockpits. So I'd say it's just a matter of preference and what you're looking for in a boat.
Old 29-11-2014, 14:27   #21

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Hunter View Post
OK so obviously air in the aft cabin is a major consideration. The question then in my head as a novice sailor is "is a centre cockpit a drawback from a sailing perspective", I read they can be a bit wetter under way ??
Thread drift alert!! I don't think there are any 'centre cockpits' or very few , the vast majority are 3/4 aft or 2/3rd aft. My cockpit frinstance is 24 feet from the bow, then 6 feet of cockpit then 9 feet to the stern, approximately..
Spray once airborne does not miraculously land at 27 feet.... if not much wind will land short... if lots of wind will stay airborne.
I think the spray thing is a bit of a myth promulgated by those trying to justify the cramped cockpits on their canoe sterned boats. Those are the boats where the owner is forced to live frd as there is no room down the back......
Old 29-11-2014, 14:38   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Spray once airborne does not miraculously land at 27 feet.... if not much wind will land short... if lots of wind will stay airborne.
I think the spray thing is a bit of a myth promulgated by those trying to justify the cramped cockpits on their canoe sterned boats. Those are the boats where the owner is forced to live frd as there is no room down the back......
I have a canoe stern and have a very comfortable aft cabin, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Yes I have a small child friendly cockpit which is inconvenient at times. But no space on a canoe stern? I have more space below than most square stern boats 35' in length. I have more space below than a lot of 38 and 40 foot square stern boats.
The design results in a lot of hull volume. Places in my main salon have 7'2" of head room. 2 full height cabins, a 5 foot long deep freeze a workshop with a work bench and full standing headroom.
No room? maybe some designs but not mine.
It's a 24000 lb boat, not small for her length at all.
My boat was designed by Bruce Bingham, same guy that designed the Flicka 20.
Old 29-11-2014, 14:52   #23

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

TN, being double-ended, is like a 36-footer with a triple propane tank locker added on behind the cockpit.

The cockpit is rather small, as one would desire in a good sea-going vessel.

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 05:03   #24

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Hunter View Post
I'm doing some research on best cabin design for a live aboard cruiser that I hope will be home for many years. At berth or in flat water I understand that where the main bed is located will make little difference. However in a situation where you can't anchor in total flat water or even when crossing long legs does it make a big difference forward or aft. My initial thought would be Aft should be a bit calmer and quieter but I need some experienced opinion to go on with . If you could give a quick reason in your response it would be much appreciated. If not just an F or A is a help cheers
Remember that crossing oceans is only a small part of your life aboard. We all spend much more time anchored than passage making I would go for an aft cabin with a real nice queen size bed unless you're a monk & keep the front for guests... As a friend of mine (Claude on Sauvage) told me once -showing me a folding bed in his forward "sails locker"... "I like to see them arrive, but I also like to see them go " he didn't want to give the best cabin to his guests... but he had a rather large aft cabin, a full width bed & a very pretty wife
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:44   #25

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

When at anchor or marina it doesn't really matter fore or aft as long as you have the room and ventilation. Underway in a monohull it is best amidships and on either side according to the tack you are on.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:10   #26

Boat: Beneteau 473

There are some other things to do in a berth besides sleep. Headroom is a must, catacomb is bad. The only aft cabin I'd seriously consider would be a center cockpit. Some Catalina's have higher headroom aft cabins, too.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 17:58   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Your initial thought is correct. Only sleep for'ard on passage if you don't mind the constant slam of waves beside you head and being constantly lifted off your berth and then dropped.
All respect, but your vessel is too small if this is the case!
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 18:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoMyHealth View Post
There are some other things to do in a berth besides sleep. Headroom is a must, catacomb is bad. The only aft cabin I'd seriously consider would be a center cockpit. Some Catalina's have higher headroom aft cabins, too.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Damn! Nailed it! Literally! For a tall couple, headroom is paramount when ‘not sleeping’ in the berth. If we’re talking live aboard- full time...the head room & size of the shower become much more important on a sliding scale.
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 18:53   #29

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

In the first place, you choose your boat for its sailing abilities, not its accommodations.

That is if you are a sailor looking at sailing.

If you are thinking of how comfy your boat will be for sleeping and other interior activities, well that is OK, but you might as well save your money for airplane tickets and get hotel rooms where you like to visit. Sailboats meant to be condos don't usually sail that well.

Once you have found a boat which meets your sailing requirements, THEN go below and look at the accommodations.

Where will you sleep? How will you and your partner fit in that space? When crossing an ocean where does the off watch sleep where there is less motion and close contact with the watch stander?

We sleep aft in port or at anchor. At sea we sleep in the middle of the boat where there is less motion and where we can easily communicate with the watch stander:

"What's it like out there? What is the wind doing? It seems quiet down here."

"The wind is still out of the SW, 26kt true, we're doing fine."

"Any ships?"

"No, I haven't seen a thing."

Let’s remember that this is a sailing trip, not an Air BNB.

Of course maybe sailing isn't your thing. In that case go below first, look topsides later.
Old 27-01-2021, 18:57   #30

Geez...seems some of us need more headroom! We ALL sail- that’s a given, but pretty sure we’re all human as well. Lighten up buttercup❤️

Tags
cabin